License req'd for GMRS (handy-talkies) anybody know about this?

This is a discussion on License req'd for GMRS (handy-talkies) anybody know about this? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was at Sportsman's Warehouse and bought a set of Motorola handy talkies. Purportedly they are used by hunters and other sportsmen, but when I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: License req'd for GMRS (handy-talkies) anybody know about this?

Senior Moderator

License req'd for GMRS (handy-talkies) anybody know about this?

I was at Sportsman's Warehouse and bought a set of Motorola handy talkies. Purportedly they are used by hunters and other sportsmen, but when I got home, openned the box, and read the instructions, I discovered you have to apply for a license from the FCC to operate them.

I downloaded the two forms, 605 and 159 and they appear to be fairly straightforward to fill out, but does anybody know anything about this, cost, do you have to pay a regular fee, etc.?

Thanks.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

pics of the units?

Supposedly, a license is required for GMRS. How many people actually apply for it, though. If you didn't fork over the money for one, how would you get caught?

Not advocating breaking the law, but from what I hear, the license needed costs more then the ham operator one. How does this make any sense?

I'm betting they'll go the route of CB's and marine VHF's. It'll end up being too much trouble to enforce it so just deregulate it.

In a way, that's almost too bad if it does that. Any quick listen to some active CB channels will illustrate that point.

FCC fee

I believe the fee is $80. I have some Midlands that have both FRS and GMRS frequencies. As long as I use the FRS freqs I'm good, but legally to use the GMRS freqs I would have to be licensed. The reality-how is the FCC really going to know? I don't have a license and I sure as hell ain't paying $80 for a particular frequency. The FCC doesn't drive around in black vans with triangulation equipment, the radios are so short ranged that there's really nothing to monitor, so as long as you aren't broadcasting your name and where you live you'll be fine.
    Ray

كافر, and proud of it

European American, and proud of it

Member of the NRA, and proud of it

Be courteous, be polite, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My motorola instructions said that you only need the license for a certain bank of channels. The other channels are free for everyone to use.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    A GMRS license covers any member of your family or household, for five years. It is illegal to operate on a GMRS channel without possession of such a license, however, the only way you'll get in trouble is if someone complains - i.e. a legitimate operator. Just FYI, the radios that advertise a 5, 7, or even 10 mile range, do so on the basis of using GMRS. All FRS transmitters are limited to 500mw/2 miles.

(Ex-Radioshack employee of far too many years)
    Last edited by Chooie; July 8th, 2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: wrong duration specified

A GMRS license covers any member of your family or household, for life.
    Actually, I read it is only good for 5 years. I wouldn't bother.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teknoid View Post
    Actually, I read it is only good for 5 years. I wouldn't bother.
    You know what, you're right. I just did some research, and evidently I was remembering incorrectly, or it has changed since I was last trained.

Quote Originally Posted by teknoid View Post
    Supposedly, a license is required for GMRS. How many people actually apply for it, though. If you didn't fork over the money for one, how would you get caught?

Not advocating breaking the law, but from what I hear, the license needed costs more then the ham operator one. How does this make any sense?
    Ham license's are free so if they cost anything it will be more, usually the testing group charges a fee to cover the room rental. If you really need to know try a look at the FCC (.gov) web site. Or you can leave that feature turned off and just use the FMRS frequency's
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Ham license's are free so if they cost anything it will be more, usually the testing group charges a fee to cover the room rental. If you really need to know try a look at the FCC (.gov) web site. Or you can leave that feature turned off and just use the FMRS frequency's
    That's what I meant, but I wasn't clear. I think it runs about 8 bucks.

VIP Member
    Yes, we only use FRS because of it. A hunting club got nabbed here for no licences

Quote Originally Posted by zwvirtual View Post
    I believe the fee is $80. I have some Midlands that have both FRS and GMRS frequencies. As long as I use the FRS freqs I'm good, but legally to use the GMRS freqs I would have to be licensed. The reality-how is the FCC really going to know? I don't have a license and I sure as hell ain't paying $80 for a particular frequency. The FCC doesn't drive around in black vans with triangulation equipment, the radios are so short ranged that there's really nothing to monitor, so as long as you aren't broadcasting your name and where you live you'll be fine.
    Lol! Actually they drive around in little white vans with triagulation equipment if you're broadcasting near an airport and it happens to interfere with flight comms....been there done that. Once the little white vans have slowly converged on your home...the Local police show up as well as the FBI with warrants in hand and just push through your front door. It's really a fun experience. Turns out the pilots would be trying to reach Baltimore tower and were getting fox 5 news and similar....oops! (we lived under the flightpath for approach to Baltimore). The price you pay for trying to get a clearer picture on the boob tube.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Lol! Actually they drive around in little white vans with triagulation equipment if you're broadcasting near an airport and it happens to interfere with flight comms....been there done that. Once the little white vans have slowly converged on your home...the Local police show up as well as the FBI with warrants in hand and just push through your front door. It's really a fun experience. Turns out the pilots would be trying to reach Baltimore tower and were getting fox 5 news and similar....oops! (we lived under the flightpath for approach to Baltimore). The price you pay for trying to get a clearer picture on the boob tube.
    What kind of equipment were YOU operating? It sure wasn't GMRS or FRS. Sounds like it was illegal to begin with.

I use a pair of Motorola UHF business band hand helds, and I get several miles range and no interference. Usage of business band equipment has decreased because of cellphones, and they aren't real expensive used.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    What kind of equipment were YOU operating? It sure wasn't GMRS or FRS. Sounds like it was illegal to begin with.

I use a pair of Motorola UHF business band hand helds, and I get several miles range and no interference. Usage of business band equipment has decreased because of cellphones, and they aren't real expensive used.
    No it wasn't(GMRS)...yes as it turns out it was illegal...the point though was that yes...in some circumstances the FCC does drive around in little vans triangulating your position... My issue was home-modified in line amplifiers to boost the cable-tv signal after we had already split it off to 4 different tv's in different ends of the house. We had crystal clear cable on every tv...for a few weeks...Turns out we boosted it a bit much and turned the wiring in the house effectively into a broadcast antenna...oops Hey, it was pre-digital cable...gimme a break

After they unplugged us...they handed the amps back and told us in no uncertain terms that "if you plug these back in again we'll slap you with a fine Uncle Sam can't even cover"...
    Last edited by packinnova; July 9th, 2007 at 07:55 PM. Reason: clarity....again
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links