Britain Attacks Switzerland!

This is a discussion on Britain Attacks Switzerland! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK, not really. But I just watched a sickening piece on BBC World about the Swiss policy of issuing military firearms and ammunition to their ...

Thread: Britain Attacks Switzerland!

VIP Member

Britain Attacks Switzerland!

OK, not really. But I just watched a sickening piece on BBC World about the Swiss policy of issuing military firearms and ammunition to their soldiers, which, of course, is every able bodied man of the appropriate age.

The piece was the usual distortions, mis-information, and down right falsehoods that we've come to expect from the media (especially the BBC, unfortunately), but this one was really bad. Apparently, one soldier killed himself with his service rifle - and the wife says it was only because the gun was there...his losing his job and facing forclosure had nothing to do with it of course...

Another soldier killed two members of his family and himself with his officer's pistol - again, he was a sane, stable, loving guy until the gun lept into his hands and started shooting...

Ugh. Nothing new, of course - blame the tool, not the wielder - but it's depressing to see the attacks on that one bastion of firearms rights in Europe. Hopefully, the Swiss won't sell out hundreds of years of tradition and the backbone of their defensive strategy over the pathetic handwringing of the antis...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Hopefully, the Swiss won't sell out hundreds of years of tradition and the backbone of their defensive strategy over the pathetic handwringing of the antis...
    I'd be willing to bet they do not.

VIP Member
    I also hate the media spin we get when a firearm is used to commit a crime. It's always the gun's fault......

Remember the recent story of the wrestler who killed his wife & son? Just think how different the story would have been had he used a firearm! It would still be front page news today. They would be interviewing the guy who sold the gun, while trying to blame him & the manufacturer for causing it.

It all boils down to societies refusal to make ANYBODY responsible for their own nefarious deeds......We have to blame an inanimate object, from 'guns that kill' to 'greasy cheeseburgers that make us fat'. When we should be making people pay a price for their wrongdoing.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

The one basic identifier of a dependant society is the NMF, or Not My Fault, common denominator. No criminal act, no societal ill, no problem, is anyone's fault, or is attributable to any one person or persons, but to society as a whole, a vast blameless blob that can never be identified, isolated, and prosecuted. Therefor, projection comes into play, identifying a non actor as the perpetrator, in this case, the inanimate firearm. Since it cannot be anyone's fault, then the blame must lie with the inanimate object, as human nature is to always fix blame for any wrongdoing, no matter where it is affixed, or how wrongly applied. After all, it isn't THIER fault!
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Links