Do you speak Spanish? - Page 2

Do you speak Spanish?

This is a discussion on Do you speak Spanish? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've travelled a bit in Latin America and my wife is a Latina, so I can get by pretty well with it. Either way, all ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you speak Spanish?

I've travelled a bit in Latin America and my wife is a Latina, so I can get by pretty well with it.
    Either way, all of my sidearms can converse in ANY language.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    She got rear-ended ... But the other driver spoke no English, none at all. She let him go (hmmm...) and that was that.
    Time to learn a bit of Spanish?
    Uh, no.

But it's time to learn that calling the police to help resolve situations like this is a good thing. Risk of deporation? Risk of him/her being a criminal? Risks abound. Call the police. They're the good guys.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well the accident was the wake-up call, the real reason in post #1 for learning Spanish is to have an edge with these guys in a SD/HD scenario.

For that reason I want to be able to speak Spanish. If they say they are going to tie me up and gut me while smiling at me outside Wal*Mart then I need to know about it.

Administrator
    Well the accident was the wake-up call, the real reason in post #1 for learning Spanish is to have an edge with these guys in a SD/HD scenario.

For that reason I want to be able to speak Spanish. If they say they are going to tie me up and gut me while smiling at me outside Wal*Mart then I need to know about it.
    I doubt they would talk about it in front of you in spanish or english. If their intentions are bad, it would have been decided what they were going to do before hand, and they would communicate such things like any other bad guy... looks and hand signals.

I do understand what you are saying though, it wouldnt be a bad idea to have at least a working knowledge. Spanish is very easy to learn because english and spanish are both latin based and very much alike.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Very good translator

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Senior Moderator
    I don't speak Spanish. I can understand some of it. My best friend growing up was a little Mexican gal. In the home her family spoke mostly Spanish and I learned to at least understand a lot of it if not speak a few things here and there.

I've often wished I had taken more of an interest and tried to speak along. I guess I've always been shy when speaking in another language though I'm told I have a quick tongue for it.

I've studied Latin, Arabic, Spanish, French and Russian, and one day I would like to actually LEARN at least one or two of the languages mentioned, but it's hard when I don't have anyone to share the language with. I think when I have children I will try to raise them to speak at least two to three languages and try to learn them along with them.

Even though I wish English were the only spoken language, I can see the benefit of learning at least Spanish and maybe another language on top of that.

I loved Arabic the most of all of the languages I studied and I really wish I would have stuck with it. At the time I was very discouraged from learning it. My father kept telling me I'd never need it and it would be much better if I learned something like Spanish or French, then, two or three years later 9/11 happened and not long after, the war, and I could really have paved the way for myself had I stuck with my Arabic, but hind sight is always 20/20 isn't it?

Am I the only one that thinks....heck no to speaking Spanish?? Why should I learn their language to accomodate them in my country especially when they are illegal most of the time? And if I ever run into illegals...you better belive I'll be dialing my local ICE office.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Uh, no. Don't know one word, WON'T learn one word. When I call someplace and I have to press 1 for English, the first 3 minutes of the conversation is me ranting about why I have to press 1 for English in a country where the official language is English.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

VIP Member
    As a Native Spanish speaker I have to agree with the fact that, if you live here, YOU MUST SPEAK SPANSIH!

I refuse to address or answer anybody in a store or public place that starts with me in Spanish and that can get annoying in South Florida. My only exception is with elderly people who have a real tough time communicating or can't in English. Hell, my 75 year old mother recently moved to the US and at least she took the time to learn some basic words in English and carries cards with printed messages in case of emergencies. NO ONE SINGLE SPANISH SPEAKING COUNTRY IN THE WORLD would accept the imposition or regulations we have here to provide multilingual anything in their country. What is good for the goose......
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I Habla A little Espanol: "Yo Quiero number 4, please. Grande."

While understanding spanish could give you a tactical advantage, especially while playing dumb, there are too many languages that could. Not that learning any of them would be a bad thing. Arabic, Persian Farsi (Iranian, NOT the same as Arabic), Punjabi, chinese (in case of invasion or I guess in NY and LA there are chinese gangs), vietnamese, oh, and a lot of African muslim extremists speak french, where does it end? Handy? Maybe, but I'll spend my time studying tactics.
    Last edited by Cupcake; July 9th, 2007 at 10:06 AM.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

/ominous voice from stage left...

"Sixto, Ron - this is your Captain, share the Spanish slang with the lay folk..."

Not sure what that was, but maybe you should do what he said.
    Pete, Rosetta Stone is a real good program to get a start
    on learning a new language.

That's what we use if a new officer wants to learn a little.
    Its nor required, but helpful.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Moderator
    LB you are right. Where I grew up, if you knew Mong you were on easy street for the rest of your life. The Mong gangs used to LOVE to pretend they didn't speak English when the police came around. They were very cocky and just assumed because their language was not a main stream language that no one learned it.

Imagine their surprise when some responding officers started barking orders and taking statements in Mong.

Hmong?

Where was that? I knew some Hmong refugees in Thailand.

Senior Moderator
    I believe that everyone should learn another language. I took Spainish in high school and still know muy poco. Learning another language IMO helps you understand that other cultures and traditions.

I also believe that we are an English speaking country and you should learn English if you live here.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Like others have said my ancestors when they came over from Germany late 1800's believed that the they were now americans and should only speak english, including in the home.

As far as learning another language I would be fine with that but given my poor memory I am dubious I could do it. Even If I did the places where I have lived (Missoula, MT, Oregon, So Maine) I have never encountered anyone speaking anything but english. So without someone to talk to a I would quickly forget. If however I lived in the southwest I would seem to be an advantage to know a least a little spanish as the times I have been down that way I have encounter a number of spanish speaking people (although they all spoke very clear english).

I would agree with others that knowing the BG's language and playing dumb could be a tactical advantage.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links