Do you speak Spanish? - Page 3

Do you speak Spanish?

This is a discussion on Do you speak Spanish? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'd like to learn Spanish. My neighbor is learning Spanish using Rosetta Stone. Rosetta Stone seems to be a great way to learn another language....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Administrator
    I'd like to learn Spanish.

My neighbor is learning Spanish using Rosetta Stone.

Rosetta Stone seems to be a great way to learn another language.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I'd like to learn Spanish.

My neighbor is learning Spanish using Rosetta Stone.

Rosetta Stone seems to be a great way to learn another language.
    I agree on the comments regarding Rosetta Stone, but street slang is not included. No use barking at dogs if you speak 'poodle'.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I took 4 years of French in highschool., after that I started working in the resturant industry. So I speak/understand some Spanish but not much, and I refuse to learn more soley because everyone is attempting to force me to learn it. (perhaps too stubborn but oh well)

There is a tactical advantage to learning other languages, but choosing which language can be difficult depending on your area. For example where I work the languages spoken are Spanish, French,Arabic, Farsi, swahilli, 3 different dialects of Vietnamese, and Chinese. Out of 30 employees in the dining hall 5 fulltime and 2 partimers speak English as a first language and less than half speak it enough to not need a translator to do their job.

This is at a college dining hall, so at least for me it would seem that English is becoming scarce in some areas....
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I took spanish in college for about 2 years, and got a few spanish programs. I am enrolled in another couple classes of spanish, and I feel if I were to rate my spanish fluency on a scale from 1-10 I would say it's a 7. I can carry a convo pretty good, but sometimes I get stuck on words.

Spanish in an important language to know and learn, it will help you out so much.

In fact, here is a little story as to WHY it's important.

So, I think I mentioned before (but I will say again here) I am moving to Austin, Texas in about 5 months to play baseball. I went to visit my family in Austin (another reason i'm moving) for about 2 weeks. Anyway, my uncle owns his own construction company, and I went to work with him for 2 days to earn some spending money. While i was on the site, I was chatting with some of the workers (who were mexican) and one started to tell me that he saw one of the co-workers cutting himself on purpose on his arms. I told my uncle what they said, and he called the local police. They came, and found an illegal gun on him, and a suicide note in his wallet. I saved a life because of spanish =)

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I don't speak spanish. I do know a woman who was recently hit by an illegal mexican, who SPOKE ENGLISH. He got out and stated he didn't have insurance and blah blah, cop showed up immediately,and all the sudden he didn't speak a lick of english. Cop knew spanish VERY well though, lol

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

spanish slang.......

About all I know is slang in spanish, Being a construction superintendant in Az, I pretty much have heard it all .(NOTE): this is not ment to be racial or disrespctful, Mods; if it needs to be edited then let me know.... OK here goes

End every word with an "O", start them with an El ( Truck=El truck o)My Mexican buddy just rolls his eyes and luaghs when I do this, then he translates for me Pretty good guy. He will then point at me and say " cabeza de loco" (touched in the head)

He has taught me many other things to listen for, and if I hear them, to put up my fists and fight, or run. Yep, pretty good guy
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

We speak spanish at home.

I believe the official language should be english and all literature should be in english. They should be able to carry on business and speak to police in english.

What two private citizens speak to each other at home or out in public though is their business. Some get their panties in a bunch just listening to two people converse in a foreign language when it's none of their business what they are saying in the first place. Believe it or not some are infuriated by this and it's really not their business what language someone uses in their private conversations. I would not expect this to change, unless of course nazi's do start running the country. It's not anybody's right to listen in on someone else's conversation. The people that want to control what someone speaks in a private conversation though are very few and I'm sure don't reflect the people here.

In fact most americans abroad expect those people to be able to speak english, which some don and some don't. Just showing that americans are the same way in other places.

Again, before I get attacked I believe the national language should be english as far as government goes, paperwork etc. should be in english. I even believe children should have at least some english before attending public schools.

Private businesses can do whatever they want as I still believe this is still a free country. People are also free to not use these businesses also if they do not like their business practices.

I have been to a lot of foreign countries and have yet to hear two americans in that country conversing with each other in anything other than english. Just go to where there a lot of americans living in mexico, like rosarito beach south of Tijuanna and see what language (english) is used by the americans there. You won't see the mexican government making a mass conversion to english though and you shouldn't see ours making one to spanish.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Quote Originally Posted by saltysquid View Post
    What two private citizens speak to each at home or out in public though is their business. Some get their panties in a bunch just listening to two people converse in a foreign language when it's none of their business what they are saying in the first place.
    I agree, just be sure to jump to Orange if you hear "ALLAHU AHKBAR!" ("God is Great!" That's what they yell right before they blow themselves up)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

You see, it does pay to learn some foreign phrases.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I don't mean to sound uncaring, I understand what Pete is saying about an extra piece of early warning could help you. I'm not against anyone coming to this great nation, but they have got to learn the language. I would not expect to be treated any differently in any other country.

I don't press (1) when in person.

I think the business end of my Glock will speak volumes in any language as to my intent to not become someones victom.

This is America,

Love it Or Leave.

nuff said

:rant off
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Saltysquid, +1!!!, I agree totally, my only difficulty comes when I need to speak to a person that doesn't understand English, IE; job related things, such as giving instructions, conveying my wishes on the way something is done, etc,etc.
    Last edited by flagflyfish; July 10th, 2007 at 02:25 PM. Reason: forgot something
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I was brought up in a Spanish speaking home in South TX. I am fluent in speaking and writing Spanish. I also speak German, Greek, and have a working knowledge of Italian. Having spent military time in 13 plus countries, I can tell you that ALL require at least one other language other than their own in schools. To me it is a plus...Also, I can also tell you that Spanish in Texas, Florida, California is not the same and the same can be said for Cuba, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and other Hispanic countries. I think knowing some pertinent "spanish" phrases may certainly provide a tactical advantage but make sure you use the local dialects.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HnKuspDude View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks....heck no to speaking Spanish?? Why should I learn their language to accomodate them in my country especially when they are illegal most of the time?
    +1,000,000

I don't support those that break the law and come illegally. Why should I have to change myself to accomdate them? That is backwards thinking folks. Why don't you just go ahead and say, "Welcome to America. Take whatever you want. Don't worry, we will pay the bill. We don't mind that you are disrespecting us by breaking our laws." The walls of a once great Republic are begining to crumble in much the same fashion as the Ancient Romans. I am not just blaming the illegal immigration crisis either.

But back to the lecture at hand, here is a little analogy for you.

A foreign BG breaks into your home one night. However instead of defending your home the government steps in and allows the BG to move into your house along with his family. You can't kick them out and you must allow the BG and his family free health care, education, jobs, etc. While you do this and pay your taxes, the BG doesn't have to pay one cent into the system all the while enjoying many of the same perks that you work hard for. To top it off, you must learn to speak the language while the BG has no incentive to speak yours.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I took Spanish in College, because I had to. Took German in High School too.

I can't really speak either one, but know enough to find out where the bathroom is.

When I was living and working in Puerto Rico, I picked up a lot of Spanish and used as much as I could. Same thing when I was in Germany. I tried to speak as much German as possible and learn as much as I could while I was there.

Too bad people don't behave that way when they come here.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    Saltysquid, +1!!!, I agree totally, my only difficulty comes when I need to speak to a person that doesn't understand English, IE; job related things, such as giving instructions, conveying my wishes on the way something is done, etc,etc.
    Yes, I agree with your statement also and I think employers have a right to require english be the language.

You are very right about the dialects shooter. My wife works with people from mexico (as her), el salvador, guatamala, etc. and their dialects are different. Just as you said the spanish in say, southern california where we lived many years, is different. My wife is a Chilanga and even they speak a little different from the nortenos.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links