Do you speak Spanish?

This is a discussion on Do you speak Spanish? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When I became an American citizen, I had to pass an English test. Enough said....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you speak Spanish?

English Only

When I became an American citizen, I had to pass an English test.

Enough said.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by blueridge View Post
    When I became an American citizen, I had to pass an English test.
    Me too, and coming from England made it surreal considering the differences between American English and English.

Whenever I'm on the phone to my Dad in England he picks up on a new Americanism I've adopted.

Like pronouncing half as 'haff' instead of 'harf' the way they do...

I have already taken a vow I will never learn Spanish. I run my own company. Everything will be printed in English till the day I die or I sell it. Someone wants a job and they do not speak English, well tough crap.

I do not mind people using a different language with each other. But when it comes time to doing business in any form if you can not speak English properly you are halting the system. We have no child left behind. Its already failing, maybe they can save it just a bit by teaching English.

I speak Spanish and have lived previously outside the US in Mexico and Venezuela for over 10 years. As a former DEA Agent, I got to attend the US State Dept Language School over 40 years ago and have had numerous assignments along the Tex-Mex border as well.

My wife is Venezuelan and our kids all speak Spanish and English fluently. Thanks to their grandfather, the kids also speak fluent Italian. He was a great teacher!

I find I use it almost every day.

I learned German and French in High School, Spanish at the Defense Language Institute (and some Norman English and Latin at law school)

what fun

all official business in Mexico is in Spanish

It really makes me proud to be American to think that that some of you fine folks came to this country the right way and went to the trouble and expense to become American Citizens. That is what makes this the greatest country on earth.

What we must understand is that our new friends from the south have no intention of becoming citizens. They want to replace our American culture with the crap they ran away from...
    What, me worry?

The only Spanish I know is 'no hable espanol', and as of right now I intend to keep it like that.

My voicemail says "Welcome to America, press one for English, press two to hang up until you can" for a reason.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Here’s a first.

Today one of those annoying telemarketers on my voice mail was entirely in Spanish.

Anyone else get calls in Spanish?

I do and I don't know why. I get this HUGE "Felicidades" and I know to hang up.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirerogue View Post
    I speak Spanish and have lived previously outside the US in Mexico and Venezuela for over 10 years. As a former DEA Agent, I got to attend the US State Dept Language School over 40 years ago and have had numerous assignments along the Tex-Mex border as well.

My wife is Venezuelan and our kids all speak Spanish and English fluently. Thanks to their grandfather, the kids also speak fluent Italian. He was a great teacher!

I find I use it almost every day.
    VIVA CHAVEZ!!!!

Just kidding!

What really breaks my heart is that people that would actually want to learn another languange will be repelled because of this stuff. I would like to learn better italian and learn russian mostly to read some of my favorite writers in their original language. I might still do it sometime.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Sure, I speak spanish all the time when I am on vacation in Mexico.

Hola senior! Que pasa. Una cerveza porfavor. Gracias.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I'll only speak spanish when the pry the English from my cold, dead lips.
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

Courtesy of the babelfish. Needs verification as it's differant than I would have said it.

Stop, or I will shoot. Get down on the ground. Face down. Arms out. Palms up.

Pare, o tiraré. Consiga abajo en la tierra. Cara abajo. Brazos hacia fuera. Palmas para arriba.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    Courtesy of the babelfish. Needs verification as it's differant than I would have said it.

Stop, or I will shoot. Get down on the ground. Face down. Arms out. Palms up.

Pare, o tiraré. Consiga abajo en la tierra. Cara abajo. Brazos hacia fuera. Palmas para arriba.
    Good ol' babelfish!

Put the translation back in and you get:

"Stop, or you will throw. Obtain down in the Earth. Face down. Arms towards outside. Palms for above."

If anyone speaks anything other than English to me, I turn and walk away from them as if they don't exist.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links