Knowing where to tap......priceless!!

This is a discussion on Knowing where to tap......priceless!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A giant ship engine failed. The ship's owners tried one expert after another, but none of them could figure but how to fix the engine. ...

Thread: Knowing where to tap......priceless!!

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar

Knowing where to tap......priceless!!

A giant ship engine failed. The ship's owners tried one expert after
    another, but none of them could figure but how to fix the engine. They all said the entire engine needed a thorough check and it would take at least one week of effort. The ship owner decided to take another chance and brought in an old man who had been fixing ships since he was a young. He carried a large bag of tools with him, and when he arrived, he immediately went to work. He inspected the engine very carefully, top to bottom.

Two of the ship's owners were there, watching this man, hoping he would know what to do. After looking things over, the old man reached into his bag and pulled out a small hammer. He gently tapped something. Instantly, the engine lurched into life. He carefully put his hammer away. The engine was fixed!

A week later, the owners received a bill from the old man for ten
    thousand dollars.

"What?!" the owners exclaimed. "He hardly did anything!" So they wrote the old man a note saying, "Please send us an itemized bill."

The man sent a bill that read:

Tapping with a hammer....................... $ 2.00
    Knowing where to tap.......................... $ 9,998.00

Effort is important, but knowing where to make an effort makes all the difference in real life !
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

2. Remove Ads

And most people will argue the bill ... i see it everyday in what i do .. you were only here 15mins how can you charge that much .. well duh if you knew how to fix it i wouldnt be here

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    And most people will argue the bill ... i see it everyday in what i do .. you were only here 15mins how can you charge that much .. well duh if you knew how to fix it i wouldnt be here
    Unfortunately true! I am a service writer and people always are like "OMG THAT LONG FOR _(INSERT SERVICE)_" when they have no idea whats involved.

great joke though :)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Thats good stuff. Brightened my day right up! lol
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Too true. My company charges $185 an hour for my "services", with a 1 hour minimum (plus travel). Too bad I don't make that much.

Like they say, though... If it was easy, everybody would be able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by teknoid View Post
    Too true. My company charges $185 an hour for my "services", with a 1 hour minimum (plus travel). Too bad I don't make that much.

Like they say, though... If it was easy, everybody would be able to do it.
    I hear ya on the i dont make that part we charge by a block of minutes and how long the makers say it should take right or wrong

Links