Appealing a passed bill but does not Enact till '08

This is a discussion on Appealing a passed bill but does not Enact till '08 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a question. As a small business owner Maryland's Clean Indoor Air Act which passed but does not enact till Feb. 2008 will kill ...

Thread: Appealing a passed bill but does not Enact till '08

Appealing a passed bill but does not Enact till '08

I have a question. As a small business owner Maryland's Clean Indoor Air Act which passed but does not enact till Feb. 2008 will kill my business.

So my question here is: If I were to attempt to appeal this and have an exemption made. What steps should I take to do this? Lawyer? Delegate to support me? Another way?

Thanks for the help. I have been pretty pissed off since they started to form this bill. Then they did not release what the bill was stopping until after it was passed. Got to love those MD people.

2. Remove Ads

Wanna tell us what the bill is about?
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Wanna tell us what the bill is about?
    The bill kills all indoor smoking. Cigs, Cigars, Pipes, my Hookah business and all the other businesses that make a living from Tobacco. When they first started pushing the no smoking I believed they would follow DC. At least I hoped they would. DC wrote exemptions for certain types of lounges, gentleman's clubs and above all Hookah lounges were specifically stated as exempt.

MD when they finally released what was on the bill, which was shown after the bill passed wrote no exemptions. The bill itself is mish mash and is hardly legible to understand. What they have done is passed the bill, then when they return to session they will go over it again and make the bill read and make sense.

The only thing they have stated in the bill now is you can ask for an exemption through your county (if the county is listed) for an extension until 2011 when you no longer can operate.

I am in the hunt to find a delegate who can support me and bring in what I am asking for. I am going to start sending letters/emails to owners of other smoking lounges so there is more than just 1 company complaining. As it stands right now the delegate in my county fully supported the ban and wants all smoking removed. So she is obviously no help what so ever.

My complaint here besides my company basically being shut down is this. I am based on smoking, you have a choice when coming to my lounge. If you do not like smoking then you do not enter because all we do is offer a hookah (tobacco) smoking lounge. I support the ban of cigs in restaurants, it makes sense what they want. But shutting down businesses that are based only on smoking to me is bull.

Its the same thing as telling a cigar lounge they can no longer operate, even though people are only there to smoke. I do not see people hanging out in a cigar lounge bitching about the smoke.

Hope this helps.

Here in lexington they passed a no smoking ban . yeah I know we grow a lot of tobbacco around these parts. However the local cigar bar was put out of buisness. No way to grandfather them in. It was a real shame.

Good Luck on your end. Been a long time since I have been to a hookah bar.

Links