OMG! Bullies In The Air Force!

OMG! Bullies In The Air Force!

This is a discussion on OMG! Bullies In The Air Force! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; With apologies to our USAF members, this is tongue in cheek humor! A recent report by experts has found that allegations of “a culture of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG! Bullies In The Air Force!

1943 - 2009

Talking OMG! Bullies In The Air Force!

With apologies to our USAF members, this is tongue in cheek humor!

A recent report by experts has found that allegations of “a culture of widespread bullying and brutality” within the Military are, in the most part, unfounded. The audit team, which traveled to every Defense establishment across the country and abroad and interviewed staff from all three services, found surprisingly few cases of unfair treatment and bullying within the Army and Navy.

When it came to the Air Force, however, the report told a different story. Complaints to the team came from a total of 3,555 Air Force members, compared with three from Navy and just one from Army.

While this statistic is alarming in its own right, it becomes horrific when one considers that each complaint represents a sad story of abuse, mistreatment and neglect. As one senior Air Force officer put it, “Each story is, in itself, a sad indictment on the Military. When taken as a whole, however, they demonstrate a reprehensible lack of regard for personnel on the part of managers at all levels.”

One young pilot told of having to spend two nights in tented accommodation, despite the fact that there was an empty five-star hotel just 1 kilometer away.

Another said that he had been forced to endure a grueling fitness test every year since he joined in 1997.

One airman alleged that she had been overlooked for promotion on numerous occasions, simply because she was fat, lazy and stupid.

An airman stated he had been refused permission to wear civilian attire to work, despite the fact that his uniform clashed with his eye colour.

Another had been forced to wear uncomfortable safety boots for periods of up to eight hours straight.

A clerk could not understand why she had been sent to work in a Joint military headquarters, “I have been forced to work for horrid Army people who just don’t understand what the military is all about. I feel the Air Force has victimized me by forcing me to do this…I will be seeking compensation.”

Shockingly, Air Force senior ranks are also subject to mistreatment. One SNCO stated, “I was deeply upset when I was addressed as ‘Sergeant’ by an officer. He knew my name was Robert. It was just horrible - I have never been more humiliated in my life.” In response a senior officer stated, “the officer in question has moved on…”.

A number of personnel complained of having to attend courses that were not relevant to their jobs, such as rigorous ground combat courses and drawn-out lectures on occupational health and safety. To add insult to injury, a young A1C was even ordered to pack up chairs in the classroom after one such course.

The huge backlash against treatment of Air Force personnel should provide senior officers with a vital clue with regard to the massive retention problems experienced by the military in recent times. Over the past two years, the Military has spent millions looking into the issue.

Not all of the Air Force’s hierarchy, however, were upset by the revelations. Said the outgoing Chief of Staff, “I’m delighted with the result. I am very happy that our retention problems are due, in the most part at least, to something as harmless as bullying. I thought everyone was leaving because of me.”

Source: http://www.lostnomad.org/2007/07/06/...hree-services/

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

That is fricken hilarious.

I spent a lot of time in the philippines and being in the Navy it was in Subic Bay. I did see a number of other places in the pi, but anyone that has been to subic knows how roudy it gets. I managed to go to angeles city several times over those years, which is outside clark air force base. The first time I was there I thought it was funny how calm the air force guys just sat at their tables sipping their beers, not causing any commotion. We were of course swigging down beers as fast as they would come, yelling, slapping girls on the rear, dumping beer on each other, etc. During that time it was hard to tell us apart by looking because we had about the same hair standards and I believe they may have allowed facial hair as did we then. One guy ambled over and said "You guys are in the Navy aren't you?" Then he ambled back over and sat down sipping his beer. Angeles was like that all over compared to the typical mayhem going on in subic.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Apology accepted. Would have been funnier if I hadn't spent 24 years in the Air Force - seems as if I met some of the individuals that were mentioned.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    Apology accepted. Would have been funnier if I hadn't spent 24 years in the Air Force - seems as if I met some of the individuals that were mentioned.
    +1 and a bit close to home.

I love it
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

What's another word for "gloves" in the Air Force? Pockets.

When I did Army AIT at Aberdeen proving Ground, both the Marines and the Air Force sent their machinist trainees to our school. The Air Force folks (who were all nice people, by the way) took no end of grief from the Army and Marines. Much of it had to do with the proper use of an iron and/or Kiwi shoe polish.
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

Shockingly, Air Force senior ranks are also subject to mistreatment. One SNCO stated, “I was deeply upset when I was addressed as ‘Sergeant’ by an officer. He knew my name was Robert. It was just horrible - I have never been more humiliated in my life.” In response a senior officer stated, “the officer in question has moved on…”.
    Yeah, well, if it wasn't for "Robert" I wouldn't be in this crappy command I'm in. After all "Robert" kept taking 2 hour lunches--he was making all of us look bad when we were taking our usual 3 hours...

It was two for one buckets at the driving range.

Lead Moderator
    In order to keep from starting in inter-service war, no comment!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

JD
    Administrator

That's too funny, I will say one thing about the Chair Force, they do it right, the officers go off to fight while the enlisted chill at the Air Base.

With the exception of the Para Rescue guys that is.

VIP Member
    Hey, having been both enlisted and officer, I don't think either should have to go and fight! Send in the giant robots!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

The funny thing is, for most guys I've met in the Air Force, they don't know how good they've got it.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    The funny thing is, for most guys I've met in the Air Force, they don't know how good they've got it.

Austin
    Man that is the truth!

I was Navy, my brother was Air Force. His boot camp was just 6 weeks, he got to call home all the time, they watched TV and when he graduated from Boot Camp, he got a ribbon....for going through Boot Camp! What is the deal with that?!?

We talked about it once and he realized that the Air Force did in fact have it pretty darn good.

Thanks for the post, that was some funny stuff!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

When I signed up, I thought I was signing up for the Air Force.

The recruiter said the Kahki Blouse (with the silver crossed pistols and rifles on his breast) and Blue Trousers with the blood stripe was the "New AF Uniforms!"

I didn't get no treatment like any of the above the whole time I was in the Air Force. I think he lied to me!

I did get to fly in helicopters though!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Aren't those things fun? The only part I didn't like was the dunk tank. Talk about a nightmare. Once you get in the real thing you know nothing matters though - if you're up, you're up, and if you're down, its going to hurt til you die. Luckily I never got to experience that part (knock on wood).

The worst thing I've done so far is stand aroung in the freezing rain in my underwear and Gore-tex - no warming layers allowed - then dig a mud pit until dark, fire team and squad rushes at night with no illum through concertina wire, then sleep in the mud pit....oh wait, 50% watch. And that was for training.

I think I heard from someone about a "cook out" after the "Chair Force" finishes their 2 mile "ruck walk". Wow.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    My roommate used to be a FCC (flying crew chief) on C-5's based out of Travis AFB. He sat down and straight face told me a 'horror story' about a two-night stay in Iraq where the A/C failed every 15 minutes. LOL

www.chairforce.com
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links