Personal Security Travel Tip

This is a discussion on Personal Security Travel Tip within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here's a tip I picked up from Mas Ayoob's segment on tonight's Guns & Ammo Personal Defense TV. Frequent fliers probably already know this. Most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Security Travel Tip

1943 - 2009

Here's a tip I picked up from Mas Ayoob's segment on tonight's Guns & Ammo Personal Defense TV. Frequent fliers probably already know this.

Most hotels today use electronic guest room door locks, which are activated by a key card. When you check out of the hotel, take the key card(s) with you and destroy them later.

Don't leave them behind in the room, because if you used a credit card to check in, your card number will be imprinted on the magnetic strip on the back of the key card, and could be retrieved by an identity thief.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Then take the card to the range and shoot it...

"It just felt like the right thing to do." - M.Ayoob.

That is one of my favorite PDTV segments, I always enjoy watching Massad empty his pockets, and you know there is plenty left in them, probably grenades and various other fun things.

Administrator

Thumbs up

I saw Ayoob on Personal Defense TV and that exact segment that you're talking about.
    Massad basically carries a Back Up for everything.

Yep, he plugged his hotel "key card"
    I expected better shooting from him.
    I thought all of his shots would be placed "dead on" the magnetic strip portion of the card.

Sadly some of his shots "went wild" and just hit the 2"X3" key card.

Seriously, I really enjoyed the entire show and having him on there was a nice added plus.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

PDTV ? I guess I need to call my cable provider.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" — Sen. Jesse Helms

Quote Originally Posted by wedoada View Post
    PDTV ? I guess I need to call my cable provider.
    Personal Defense TV is just a half hour show on the Outdoor Channel, but it is available on DVD.
    IIRC, Bark'n bought the DVD and can explain where and how much if your cable supplier don't provide the programming.

Wheres Miggy, doesn't he work in hotel security? Just wondering if he (or anyone) can confirm that they put your personal info on the card. Can't see a reason to at all.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    I have Dish Network and I do not get that programing. I wish I did.

Thanks Doberguy!
    That takes care of that one.
    Still gonna destroy them though.
    Why give the miscreants another tool to harm us.

1943 - 2009
    Well, Snopes is not the definitive last word on any given topic.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    Ordinarily I would say it is 100% bunk... BUT....
    We changed our system not long ago and the software (windows based) was stand-alone and not connected to the registration software (Unix Based). I must have missed the day they did the interconnexion, but I have seen lately that they are making the keys directly from the registration software and I have no idea what kind of info goes in the card. My gut does not like what I saw so I would recommend that you keep or destroy the keycard.
    The good news is that the magnetic strip of the key card is so sensitive to external factors, it can get erased really easy. Cell Phones are my personal enemy since one of my responsabilities at the hotel is to let guest in their rooms if their keys do not work and they left their IDs inside.

Other hotel key safety points:
    If you are in a hotel and lose your key, request a NEW key, not a duplicate. A new key will reprogram the lock and void any old keys.
    If you lose the key outside the hotel in suspicious circumstances or just want to be paranoid, call the hotel and ask the room to be placed in Lockout by Security after they perform a check in the room to see if everything is OK. If somebody found your key, gets to the hotel and somehow obtains your room number....Ouchie. Besides, we do not like to write Guest Property Theft reports, they are too time consuming and the incidents happen 15 minutes before I get to go home.
    Never write your room number anywhere on or near the key and get rid of the envlope/package that they give you at the front desk with the room number in it.
    When you are at registration, if the place is crowded and the clerk says your room number out loud, demand a new room inmediately and complain to the manager. You never know who is listening.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

To order a DVD of the first season (2007) of Personal Defense TV here is the link:

https://newstore.primediamags.com/sh...item=1DSTPDT6&

It is 5 hours on 4 DVD's for $29.95

I feel it is an excellent show with tons and tons of information, ideas, tactics, weapon reviews and information that can be used in your training or personal defense system and provides you with lots of "food for thought" that can be used or adapted to your personal needs.

Each episode has segments by:

Dick Metcalf reviewing weapons and tools,

Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch with training tips on everything from reloads, immediate action drills and engaging multiple targets.

Massad Ayoob reviews legal aspects and "action plans" for you to consider.

Trainers like Rob Pinkus of Valhalla Shooting Club and Range gives lots of training advise and walks you through their shoot house.

And guys from Smith & Wesson Academy and segments done at Gunsite Ranch have advice and pointers.

The shows are well produced and the DVD's are professional quality and no commercials (except for a 10 second blurb from "sponsors" such as Taurus, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Arms and such inserted between the segments.)

I have an extensive library of books, magazines, articles, professional training video's and DVD's, court decisions and the like which would be the envy of any small to mid size police dept. and I do recommend this DVD set. (and all 4 DVD's are in one small case so it doesn't take up a lot of space)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and call shenanigans on that one.

First off, most hotels (at least the ones I stay at) still use a manual card-writer, meaning, the clerk types in your room number on a keypad, and it encodes a hash generated from that room number onto the card. That's it, nothing else. Even when the cards are encoded automatically, I'd be willing to bet just about anything that it's still just a hash of the room number.

The reason for this is very simple: The locks. The locks are nothing more than little card-readers that take whatever data is on the card and compare it to something stored in memory. If it matches, it opens the lock (the algorithm that generates this hash usually picks a new seed after a set period of time to generate a new one, to prevent stolen keys from being used later). But, in order to encode the door lock with personal information, every lock would have to tied into the guest registration system, and updated in real-time, whenever a guest checks in or out.

This would require wiring all the locks down to the hotel's main server, tons of networking equipment, cabling, etc etc. just for the hardware needed. This is a whole heck of a lot more expensive and complicated than simply having stand-alone locks that store the room number they are attached to (which never changes) in a hash.

Now, it would be possible to include several layers of information on a single card, only one layer used by the lock, but what benefit could there possibly be for the hotel to stick your credit card number (or anything else personal) on your keycard? They have all that info already at their finger-tips by looking up your name or room number, so it does nothing to also put it on the keycard.

There's another side to this though, and that's the myth that keeping your hotel keycard next to your credit will somehow transfer your credit card info to the keycard. This is also pure nonsense. It is true that you can scramble the data on a magnetic card with strong magnetic fields or rubbing two cards against each other vigorously (static charge builds up, discharges, creates a magnetic field), but it would be utterly impossible to get any sort of usable "data transfer" between them. It would be nothing but gibberish, and certainly wouldn't turn your hotel card into a clone of your credit card.

I mention this only because It's not clear from the OP which urban myth is being referred to.

I have a lot of respect for Massad Ayoob, but I just can't see this being a legitimate threat. Sounds like tin-hat material to me.

1943 - 2009
    I mention this only because It's not clear from the OP which urban myth is being referred to.
    The OP (me) didn't mention ANY "urban myth". I was merely passing along comments made on a television program by a generally well respected self defense expert.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    First off, most hotels (at least the ones I stay at) still use a manual card-writer, meaning, the clerk types in your room number on a keypad, and it encodes a hash generated from that room number onto the card. That's it, nothing else. Even when the cards are encoded automatically, I'd be willing to bet just about anything that it's still just a hash of the room number.
    Depends on the software AND hardware. In the particular case of my hotel and being able to check a bit on that the software can encode as stand alone I found out that it is encoded with the room number, your name, check out date & time and access level (Other doors than your own, parking lot access, Main entrances access.) Granted the most important codifications are Time and acess or any key could open a room well after the gust is gone creating a liability for the hotel if the previous guest leaves the key where a BG may find it. I know, I have found people trolling the hotel trying to get in rooms with an abandoned key.

This would require wiring all the locks down to the hotel's main server, tons of networking equipment, cabling, etc etc. just for the hardware needed. This is a whole heck of a lot more expensive and complicated than simply having stand-alone locks that store the room number they are attached to (which never changes) in a hash

The technology is now available via wireless. It can lock down a room or the entire hotel, change your access level and even interrogate your lock to see when was the last time you opened your door or left it ajar.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links