Shame shame on the NRA for offering discounts to kid theme parks

This is a discussion on Shame shame on the NRA for offering discounts to kid theme parks within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.philly.com/dailynews/loca...foes_fire.html NRA -Sesame Place tie draws gun-foes' fire By GLORIA CAMPISI campisg@phillynews.com 215-854-5935 Put the gun down, Elmo. That's the war cry of gun-control advocates ...

Thread: Shame shame on the NRA for offering discounts to kid theme parks

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Shame shame on the NRA for offering discounts to kid theme parks

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/loca...foes_fire.html

NRA -Sesame Place tie draws gun-foes' fire
    By GLORIA CAMPISI
    campisg@phillynews.com 215-854-5935
    Put the gun down, Elmo.

That's the war cry of gun-control advocates after learning that a National Rifle Association Web site is offering discounted tickets to Sesame Place and other kid-friendly theme parks - in return for donations to the NRA's political arm, the Institute for Legislative Action (ILA).

"This is a very strange thing, the connection between guns, the NRA and Sesame Place," said Bryan Miller, executive director of Ceasefire NJ. "It looks to me like a PR nightmare."

"There is no conflict of interest by having the theme-park tickets available," said NRA spokeswoman Ashley Varner.

Varner said the tickets, which provide discounted entry to the parks, weren't purchased by the NRA, anyway, but provided by Anheuser-Busch. Besides making Budweiser and Bud Light, the beer magnate, through a subsidiary, operates Sesame Place in Langhorne; SeaWorld, in Orlando, San Antonio and San Diego; Busch Gardens and Adventure Island in Tampa Bay; and Busch Gardens and Water Country USA in Williamsburg, Va.

According to the NRA-ILA Web site, the price of a two ticket donation is $50, about half of the regular price. The other discount prices, according to the Web, are: four tickets for $100, six for $150 and eight for $200.

Anheuser-Busch responded to a call seeking information with the following statement: "We routinely offer these kinds of ticket discounts to national organizations whose members have an interest in visiting our parks."

Varner strongly criticized gun-control advocates, taking special aim at big-city mayors, including John Street.

Philadelphia's homicide rate stood at 213 as of last night, according to police.

Among actions Varner suggested that cities undertake to curb gun crime are: budgeting more money for policing, prosecuting every gun crime, refusing plea-bargains and insisting on mandatory sentences for gun crime.

"If they [mayors] were serious about lowering crime, they would stop pointing fingers of blame at the NRA and jet-setting the country on the taxpayers' dime" to attend gun-control events, she said. "There are things these mayors could do if they wanted."

Varner maintained that the NRA was a "family-friendly organization."

"We've actually trained over 20 million children since 1988 in firearms safety," through an NRA program for kids from pre-kindergarten through third grade, called Eddie Eagle GunSafe, she said.

Miller, of Ceasefire NJ, said, "We think it is just wrong to use a kids' park, and this is for small children, to raise money for an organization that is doing everything it can to protect gun-industry profits at the expense of safety, and that includes children's safety."

He said gun-control groups would rally over the issue Tuesday at the New Jersey Statehouse. Besides Ceasefire NJ, others include CeaseFire PA, the Million Mom March of New Jersey, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and a student group called Gun Free Kids. *
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Funny way to spend dues money! No wonder we recieve weekly
    request for donations?

The tickets cost the NRA nothing. This is the sweetest deal ever! One of my favorite brewers helps the NRA folks get donations for an important cause, and provides good family fun at a great savings. My kids love Busch Gardens and Water Country USA in Williamsburg, Va.

The fact that it really angers the anti-s is just icing on the cake.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Gun-control mindset: perception isn't everything, it's the only thing. Associating firearms with children in any way is shocking!! These are the same sort of people who were decrying the Make-a-Wish Foundation several years ago for sponsoring hunting trips for children with terminal illnesses. to that sort!

Their state of mind is its own punishment.

Good for Anheuser-Busch, and good for the NRA!

What I love is that for some reason people have a problem with the tickets being associated with the NRA but have no problem with the fact that the parks themselves are sponsored by alcoholic beverage companies: Which contribute to more deaths and abuse of children than guns ever have.

I mean which one makes less sense to associate with kids? An organization that promotes education and safe use of firearms or a business that sells beer?

I got nothing against beer but it strikes me as funny.
    "Friend, I would not harm thee for all the world, but thou art standing where I am about to shoot."--Unknown Quaker

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    Funny way to spend dues money! No wonder we recieve weekly
    request for donations?
    The NRA/ILA doesn't get a penny of members' dues. The NRA is prohibited by law from using membership dues for political activity. All dues collected must be used to fund NRA programs, like Eddie Eagle, for example.

The ILA is strictly funded by donations.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Links