New addition to my family

This is a discussion on New addition to my family within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, instead of a bolt action .30-06 this month, I brought home a 11 week old black female Labrador Retriever instead. Her name is Scout. ...

Thread: New addition to my family

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

Well, instead of a bolt action .30-06 this month, I brought home a 11 week old black female Labrador Retriever instead. Her name is Scout. We have been wanting a dog for quite a while and we took the plunge. My three and half year old son and wife are both very happy. However, Katy the cat is not very thrilled with this big black butter ball running around her lair.

So any tips from other Lab owners on the board?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

We had a lab years ago when we lived in Alabama and had a lot of land for him to run on. His name was Duddly, as in Duddly Do Right.....he was a great animal and a good friend. He got torn up protecting our only child at the time from a pack of stray and wild dogs. I managed to shoot 4 of them before they ran off but Duddly was so badly injured he had to be put to sleep. We still miss him.

You picked a good dog for your family.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Take her swimming, but dont let your kids (if they young or not strong swimmers) swim with her. Labs will try and rest on people in the water.
    Labs are pretty easy dogs to own and make great pets. They are prone to getting fat, so you have to watch that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Well, instead of a bolt action .30-06 this month, I brought home a 11 week old black female Labrador Retriever instead. Her name is Scout. We have been wanting a dog for quite a while and we took the plunge. My three and half year old son and wife are both very happy. However, Katy the cat is not very thrilled with this big black butter ball running around her lair.

So any tips from other Lab owners on the board?
    You couldn't have picked a better companion! I have a 9 mo. old chocolate lab (Ruger). He is the best dog that I have ever been around. They have boundless energy, i see long walks in your future! Labs are very "Mouthy", they explore thier world with their mouths, so lots of chew toys are important. Get used to LOTS of slobber, If I'm getting dressed to go on a date, Ruger makes sure that he completly slobbers me before I go! Get used to it, you will also never have clean windows in your vehicle again Be very careful as labs learn the english language quickly!! Crate training was the best thing I ever did, it gives him a place that is "His". Get her used to gunfire, it will head off any barking at thunder, other loud noises. Last but not least, get the book Marley and Me, By John Grogan, printed by Harper-Collins books. I Can give more help later based on my experience. Give her lots of love, and she will become the most loyal companion that you can imagine
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Senior Moderator
    If I see her swimming down the Tallapoosa I'll send her back upstream.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

And where are the pics? Labs must be bragged about with a healthy inclusion of pics!
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    Are you going to hunt with her? Labs not only make good dogs for ducks, but a few of my hunting pals use them for all the upland game birds... they do a fine job.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Great dogs! We love ours............
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

So That's It...

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Take her swimming, but dont let your kids (if they young or not strong swimmers) swim with her. Labs will try and rest on people in the water.
    Labs are pretty easy dogs to own and make great pets. They are prone to getting fat, so you have to watch that.
    I must be part Lab...

Great choice of dog, Doc...he will become your best friend...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Thanks to everybody that has posted so far. Sorry I couldn't answer everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    If I see her swimming down the Tallapoosa I'll send her back upstream.
    Thanks!!! That swim might tire her out though since you live down towards Montgomery.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis27 View Post
    And where are the pics? Labs must be bragged about with a healthy inclusion of pics!
    I've got a digital camera, I just have not sat down and tried to figure out how to post on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Are you going to hunt with her? Labs not only make good dogs for ducks, but a few of my hunting pals use them for all the upland game birds... they do a fine job.
    She is going to be the family pet. I don't really hunt anymore. Georgia isn't very "Ducky" where I live anyway. I have seen labs used for running up pheasants but we only have a few scattered Bobwhite Quail and I don't think Labs will point. When my son gets older (3 year old) I will start hunting again. He already fishes with me!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Where's the pictures? Our Lab grew up with Rottweilers she's one tough pooch.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    She is going to be the family pet. I don't really hunt anymore. Georgia isn't very "Ducky" where I live anyway. I have seen labs used for running up pheasants but we only have a few scattered Bobwhite Quail and I don't think Labs will point. When my son gets older (3 year old) I will start hunting again. He already fishes with me!
    No, they dont point very well. They do flush very well though, they have a good knack for finding down birds and of course bringing them back to you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Many people describe Labs as "Toys Are Us" dogs because they don't want to grow up. Baxter is 5 years old going on 11 months. He constantly has a toy in his mouth, but unlike any other dog we have had he does not tear them up. He eventualy wears them out. He likes to run, jump, and play. He is always ready for a game. He never takes a straight path anywhere. He likes to play in the water. He spins several times before the lays down. He is the poster dog for hyperactivity. The photo shows him in one of his rare mements of stillness.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Sponsored Links