Time to Ban Fingers (for real)

This is a discussion on Time to Ban Fingers (for real) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; New Jersey May Outlaw Giving the Finger A proposed road rage law could outlaw giving the finger to other motorists in New Jersey. Jessica Rogers ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to Ban Fingers (for real)

Thumbs down Time to Ban Fingers (for real)

New Jersey May Outlaw Giving the Finger
    A proposed road rage law could outlaw giving the finger to other motorists in New Jersey.

Jessica Rogers testifies for her lawLegislation approved last month by a New Jersey Assembly committee could outlaw using one's finger to express displeasure at the driving ability of fellow motorists. As part of "Jessica's Law," Assemblymen Linda R. Greenstein (D-Monroe) and Bill Baroni (R-Hamilton) would create a new crime of "road rage" that bans expressive forms of communication frequently seen on Garden State roadways.

Specifically, it could be a crime to use: "Audible verbal threats or insults, flashing of headlights, use of demeaning gestures or other such actions directed at persons driving lawfully, which, in the manner used, would cause a reasonable person to believe that the action was designed to display anger or to intimidate or threaten the person."

To be illegal, those demeaning gestures must combine with speeding, following too closely, improper lane changing, failing to yield the right of way or running a stop light. Those meeting the criteria would pay up to a $1000 fine, earn a one-month license suspension and be forced to attend an anger management course. A second offense nets the state a $3000 fine, a four-month license suspension and another anger management course.

Lawmakers named the legislation after Jessica Rogers who had been paralyzed in a road rage accident in 2005. Then sixteen years old, Rogers had been a passenger in a vehicle that attempted to use a road shoulder to pass another car that had cut him off. The overtaking vehicle instead rammed a telephone pole and its driver was sentenced to six months in jail and five years probation for the crime of assault by automobile under existing statutes.

Greenstein also introduced companion legislation that would create a "permissive inference" that the owner of a vehicle involved in a hit-and-run accident should be responsible for all the consequences of hit-and-run. The measure received unanimous approval from the Assembly Judiciary Committee.

2. Remove Ads

So, I guess the entire New Jersey State legislature missed the day in school covering the First Amendment? While road rage sucks.. outlawing (or, attempting to outlaw) the expression of emotions is a pretty silly reaction to it..

"When emotions are outlawed, only Outlaws will have emotions" or, something like that?

The First amendment protects my right to say whatever I want-verbally and non-verbally- (we'll leave the whole yelling 'fire' in a theater discussion out of this), It does not, nor does any other amendment, say a thing about anyone being 'protected' against being offended...

I'm reminded of the lyrics to a song from Suicidal Tendencies whenever I hear stupid stuff like this..
    "I'm sorry if I offended you, but maybe you needed to be offended, so here's my apology, and one more thing... " (you can probably guess what four letter word followed by "you" they use).

There ought to be a law banning laws.... Its sad for the young ladies situation but again we see the: its someone, something elses fault and not taking responcability for our actions as individuals. So make another law that can't or won't be enforced.

I have only one comment on that proposed law...

:hand7:

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

With this kind of crap honestly being proposed, can the reality of the thought police be far behind?

It is becoming clear that this country needs an enema more than ever.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Then how will people from NJ communicate with people from NY??

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Remember the movie Demolition Man?With Stallone?You were fined for bad language?

Who elected this government?

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    With this kind of crap honestly being proposed, can the reality of the though police be far behind?

It is becoming clear that this country needs an enema more than ever.
    this is serious and I agree with you, but the second part just made me laugh out loud...sometimes you just have to laugh and shake your head.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Then how will people from NJ communicate with people from NY??
    +1

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Who elected this government?

Austin

Bingo
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Hey man...it's NEW JERSEY.

I fail to see why anyone is suprised.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I was going to say that I can't believe it, but I can.

This is ridiculous. Suspending a divers license for the "finger". Sure, let the drunks drive around and bust the folks with their finger in the air.

What is this world coming to?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter_56 View Post
    There ought to be a law banning laws.... Its sad for the young ladies situation but again we see the: its someone, something elses fault and not taking responcability for our actions as individuals. So make another law that can't or won't be enforced.
    ROFL +1
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have only one comment on that proposed law...

:hand7:

ret
    ROFL +10
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links