Reapers Head to Iraq

Reapers Head to Iraq

This is a discussion on Reapers Head to Iraq within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; BALAD AIR BASE, Iraq The airplane is the size of a jet fighter, powered by a turboprop engine, able to fly at 300 mph ...

Reapers Head to Iraq

BALAD AIR BASE, Iraq The airplane is the size of a jet fighter, powered by a turboprop engine, able to fly at 300 mph and reach 50,000 feet. It's outfitted with infrared, laser and radar targeting, and with a ton and a half of guided bombs and missiles.

The Reaper is loaded, but there's no one on board. Its pilot, as it bombs targets in Iraq, will sit at a video console 7,000 miles away in Nevada.

The arrival of these outsized U.S. "hunter-killer" drones, in aviation history's first robot attack squadron, will be a watershed moment even in an Iraq that has seen too many innovative ways to hunt and kill.

That moment, one the Air Force will likely low-key, is expected "soon," says the regional U.S. air commander. How soon? "We're still working that," Lt. Gen. Gary North said in an interview.

The Reaper's first combat deployment is expected in Afghanistan, and senior Air Force officers estimate it will land in Iraq sometime between this fall and next spring. They look forward to it.

"With more Reapers, I could send manned airplanes home," North said.
    This is a very good development in the war on Terror. I really hope my oldest son, who is a video game junkie and has his heart set on going into the Air Force after high school can become a Reaper pilot or some other UAV pilot. He isn't set up to handle the rigors of ground combat but he's be pretty darn good at flying one of these I am sure.

Read the entire story HERE
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Those are too cool.

Best of luck to your boy, Mike. I've been out for a while but I think they still use officers to pilot UAVs. I've seen enlisted personnel on TV working the cameras and shootin missiles and stuff though.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Being an officer is a smart thing to be. They get paid 3 times as much. The only difference is they're usually to blame when things go wrong. Chances are he can do whatever he sets his mind to.

Austin

Links