Work silliness about OC and pocket knives

This is a discussion on Work silliness about OC and pocket knives within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I recently purchased the Kimber Guardian Angel for myself and today is the first day I carried it into the office. A few friends have ...

I recently purchased the Kimber Guardian Angel for myself and today is the first day I carried it into the office. A few friends have been curious about it so this morning I mentioned that I picked one up which started a conversation about it. During this conversation it was mentioned that it might not be allowed in the office. Our company has a no weapons policy for employees but the company has not defined what a weapon is. I've always assumed that they followed the same definition as the state. Being curious about this I stopped by HR to ask what I thought was a stupid question that would lead to a "don't be silly, of course OC is allowed.".

To my surprise I was told that it's a weapon and not allowed. After mentioning that it was common for many to people to carry OC or mace in their purse or attached to key chains and I was surprised it wasn't allowed, The HR rep commented that it did seem odd and that she wasn't sure. I then asked about pocket knives as was told that those are also considered weapons. I probably should have stopped there but I just had to mentioned that multitools have at least 1 knife blade about the same length as a most common pocket knives. The HR rep then thought about it and decided that multitools shouldn't be considered as weapons but that they might be. I pointed out that pocket knives and multitools are booth useful to quite a few employees in our office.

The end result? I was told that no one had ever thought of these things and that she would check with our attorney.

What absolute silliness.
    Rob

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azagthoth View Post
    Don't ask don't tell seems to have one flaw. If you're caught you will be fired. Wouldn't it be better to try to get some clarifications or changes so that you can do it without the fear of being fired? Or is this a lost cause with most corporations?
    Well other than when I had my own company, where I carried, I would say most companies in my area of expertise would ban any and all "weapons". My current employer has just such language, but with a loop hole big enough to drive a truck through IMO. They have wording that states, "unless authorized". Now I didn't ask who does the authorizing or how, but I assumed that my local government entity has "authorized" me to carry a gun in public.

Good enough for me for initial argument, however, I keep my resume updated and ready to go. They may lose the initial case, but they will get you eventually. Either find another reason to fire you, make one up or make your employment so miserable that you quit. You have to figure once it is known you have a target on you and they will get you.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    I have a don't ask don't tell policy about corporate policies. They don't define it, I won't ask them to define it. My company's weapons policy has a loop hole for "authorized personnel". Rather than asking who does the authorization and how to obtain one, I assume that my state issued permit is authorization.

I can pretty much guess what will happen with your corporate weapons policy. They will make a nice list or a definition that bans everything. If you are lucky they will exempt tools that happen to have knife blades.

Yeah, I realized I'd stepped in it after it was over. I just couldn't believe that the company would have any problem with OC/mace or basic tools (pocket knives, multitools). Looking back I should have known better.

I have a bad feeling that your prediction will be what happens but I'm hoping logic will prevail. I suppose if they define weapons to include these things I could try to point out that they have just taken every employee's ability to defend themselves not only at the office but to and from work as well and that they are now responsible for our safety during those times. Granted if they actually ban these things as weapons I'm sure that pointing this out will be pointless and could cause me problems. Still it's a nice thought.

Don't ask don't tell in the office would be the best option (since I live in florida, ignoring this would only cost me my job and would not be illegal) but I would prefer to be able to carry these items without the fear of being fired.
    Rob

Senior Moderator
    Scott nailed it, don't ask
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I have a don't ask don't tell policy about corporate policies. They don't define it, I won't ask them to define it. My company's weapons policy has a loop hole for "authorized personnel". Rather than asking who does the authorization and how to obtain one, I assume that my state issued permit is authorization.

I can pretty much guess what will happen with your corporate weapons policy. They will make a nice list or a definition that bans everything. If you are lucky they will exempt tools that happen to have knife blades.
    I agree entirely. My place of work does not seem to have any rules regarding weapons. I'm not gonna go ask about so they realize they need to put one in place.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

VIP Member
    Unfortunately disarming you at work doesn't put liability on them in most cases. They will cite workplace safety and insurance policy restrictions to justify banning everything except a very narrowly defined group of required tools.

Too Late Now...

but I would have left 'well enough' alone...don't ask/don't remind!

When they have to ask the 'attorney' you're not going to like what he says...he will ALWAYS advise...to CYA!

Stay safe...keep quiet...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    It's so much easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Don't ask don't tell seems to have one flaw. If you're caught you will be fired. Wouldn't it be better to try to get some clarifications or changes so that you can do it without the fear of being fired? Or is this a lost cause with most corporations?
    Rob

Links