Anyone make your own fuel? (Ethanol/biodiesel?)

This is a discussion on Anyone make your own fuel? (Ethanol/biodiesel?) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just wondering how many do this now, or have the equipment and knowledge in place for SHTF? I like biodiesel, but given a bit of ...

Thread: Anyone make your own fuel? (Ethanol/biodiesel?)

Anyone make your own fuel? (Ethanol/biodiesel?)

Just wondering how many do this now, or have the equipment and knowledge in place for SHTF? I like biodiesel, but given a bit of land and some fruit trees one doesn't have to leave their own property to make fuel.

I'm just about done with a highly efficient alcohol still of my own design, but my city won't allow operation. The ATF was all set to issue to permit too. Gotta find someplace not too far from the city but country enough to have some room between neighbors. I don't figure I'll make all of my fuel, but probably enough for all the farm equipment, keep a stockpile for the generator and a motorcycle/moped/ATV.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Just with burritos, bean dip, and broccoli.

I'm really suprised that not one of you has this in you plans. I've always known I'm different, but now I think I must be really weird!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    A guy I know does this... bit complicated to set up making your own Bio-Diesel but it pays for itself quickly. (if you do it right)

It is possible to run a diesel engine directly off filtered fryer grease without any major modification, although too much use will wear out your fuel lines and seals.

I have thought of it as well. Mostly because I have free access to grease, and once the glycerine is taken out you can sell it to recoup costs.

Try finding a small airport for light single engine planes, typically you can rent/lease/purchase hangers for relatively cheap and most of the smaller ones (airports that is) are not as regulated about such things.

Least that seems to be the trend around here.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    A guy I know does this... bit complicated to set up making your own Bio-Diesel but it pays for itself quickly. (if you do it right)

It is possible to run a diesel engine directly off filtered fryer grease without any major modification, although too much use will wear out your fuel lines and seals.

I have thought of it as well. Mostly because I have free access to grease, and once the glycerine is taken out you can sell it to recoup costs.

Try finding a small airport for light single engine planes, typically you can rent/lease/purchase hangers for relatively cheap and most of the smaller ones (airports that is) are not as regulated about such things.

Least that seems to be the trend around here.

I eat complicated for breakfast! I've thought of biodiesel and such, and haven't ruled it out. But one of my reasons for ethanol is so I can make it without leaving my property (when I have more than A city lot). Don't need nothin from the rest of the world. I'm suprised that so many here hae their BOBS and Bug Out Trucks but no plan for feeding them past whatever they can stockpile? I wanna be able to run my generator and drive 500 miles every week if that is the nearest 7-11 I can get to after the SHTF.

I didn't even think of the airport. I used to rent a hanger for $106 a couple years ago. It didn't have doors. The ones with doors were $240/mo IIRC.

Links