Plumbing rant/whine

Plumbing rant/whine

This is a discussion on Plumbing rant/whine within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was having some problems with drainage. We could drain everything fine, just not at the same time. For example, if I tried to flush ...

Thread: Plumbing rant/whine

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar

Plumbing rant/whine

I was having some problems with drainage. We could drain everything fine, just not at the same time. For example, if I tried to flush the toilet within 30 minutes of taking a shower, it would overflow.

So we hired a plumber to check it out. He sends the snake about 150' down, almost to where it connects to the city line, and it stops; he can't get through. The line he thinks, is collapsed.

Since he did his work, there is no drainage at all.

Here's where the fun starts.

The city line is in the alley.
    The property at one time (before I owned it) went all the way back to the alley.
    At some point (through imminent domain or not) the back yard was divided and a portion set up for use by the COOP. The COOP parks heavy equipment there (currently 2 semis are parked directly over the line)

Now I have to figure out a few things.
    1. Who is responsible for the line at that point? I fear it's me
    2. The property was probably re-zoned from residential to whatever it is now. In which case, why didn't they consider the effects of operating heavy equipment over a residential sewer line?

One of my big worries is that this is a small farming community. They are rather xenophobic, and the COOP is important to the economy. I'm an outsider, and I'm betting I won't make many friends by taking legal action against the city and/or COOP.

Overall, the situation has left me feeling frustrated and impotent. All I want to do is flush my toilet.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

VIP Member
    DW the same thing happen to my parents. Here in St. Louis we were told that my dad was responsible all the way to the middle of the main line in the alley. This happened about 20 years ago and if I remember right it was around $3500 to fix. I couldn't imagine the cost now. You might be able to have legal action against the city but if you lose throw the price of the lawyer into the pot. I wish you better luck.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Go talk to the Coop, they are usually member owned and "work for the people" kind of companies. They probably have the equipment themselves, and could do it fairly quickly, dig up the line, replace the pipe, and reinforce the ground surface.

If that doesn't work, then I would think public opinion would come in second to a stinky house.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Administrator
    Hey...if you think their heavy equipment collapsed your sewer line then for sure go and talk to them.

I would be quick about it too since now you do have a minor emergency.

Heck...even if you could get them to cover you for half the cost that sure would be better than you paying the entire cost.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO you are mixing two legal ideas . 1. Ownership , which you likely do to the alley , and 2. an easement which grants others the right to use some of the property you own . An easement grants someone the right to come and be on /use my property for a ( hopefully ) specified use , with rules ( again hopefully ) . IMHO you own , and must pay for the sewer issues , tho the terms of the easement may specify that they pay for any damage . You will just have to get the info ( from the title insurance ect.. ) and look . Be sure and do this first , not only for billing of fixing your sewer , but because you may be fined for every day they can not use the easement .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Nice post RR.

DW I was laughing at the end, but that is a tough spot to be in. I hope it works out for the best, although I have my doubts.

My uncle had a problem with the city about his radiator/AC shop. They said that his soil was contaminated and that he had to excavate 10 feet down on his 2 acre lot (buildings too).

The reason it was contaminated is because when my grandpa and great grandpa owned the shop, they used antifreeze and oil for weedkiller. It was common practice in those days and no one knew any better - certainly there were no laws against it.

Long story short, he had to mortgage the business and his house to have it done.

Austin

Before you complain to anybody...
    TAKE PICTURES OF THE EQUIPMENT!
    It could be evidence that the damage was caused by heavy vehicles parked on top of it. I have heard of this working to get the people who caused the damage to be held responsible for the repair.

Quote Originally Posted by teknoid View Post
    Before you complain to anybody...

It could be evidence that the damage was caused by heavy vehicles parked on top of it. I have heard of this working to get the people who caused the damage to be held responsible for the repair.

+1 to that get pics

First thing in the morning walk into the Co-op wrapped in a towel and holding a roll of TP, tell them you can't shower or use the toilet at home so you are there to use their facilities until the drain gets fixed.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Update: The line is open!

Huge clog of tampons, which haven't been flushed in over 2 years.

Turns out the line doesn't go under the COOP. It connected to one where a house used to stand (still on my property, big lot), then goes off at an angle.

I'm amazingly relieved, even though this does put off my next gun for quite a while.

I had already started with the pictures. Got the trucks and tracks from some tractor that was there. Plates on the trucks too.

Thanks all for the advice and support.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Update: The line is open!

Huge clog of tampons, which haven't been flushed in over 2 years.
    Sounds like you need to stop eating the tampons...

Congratulations on getting it fixed so quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Sounds like you need to stop eating the tampons...

Congratulations on getting it fixed so quick.
    Reminds me of a young woman we had in the ED one time. She was 20. She didn't know you were supposed to take tampons out... I think Darwin won, in that case, since, IIRC, it sterilized her.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    IMHO you are mixing two legal ideas . 1. Ownership , which you likely do to the alley , and 2. an easement which grants others the right to use some of the property you own . An easement grants someone the right to come and be on /use my property for a ( hopefully ) specified use , with rules ( again hopefully ) . IMHO you own , and must pay for the sewer issues , tho the terms of the easement may specify that they pay for any damage . You will just have to get the info ( from the title insurance ect.. ) and look . Be sure and do this first , not only for billing of fixing your sewer , but because you may be fined for every day they can not use the easement .
    IMO good assesment.

I realize the problem has been solved, but for the sake of discussion in case anyone else has a similar problem, a copy of any easements and their terms should be available and are likely recorded in the public records and may be in the closing documents provided by your title company at the time of purchase.

If a utilities easement was in place before the property was purcased it will be listed on your title insurance policy along with info as to where it is recorded in the public records. You can then get a copy and read the terms.

I have a powerline easement through my pasture and in the easement it states that the power company is responsible for any damage caused their equipment or actions.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

My dad had a powerline easment through his yard back in the 1970s, and the power company decided it was easier to hose the place down with defoliant than to manually trim a few trees. Only problem was that they killed almost everything in the yard. They had to pay for the landscaping company that replaced it all.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Sponsored Links