I bought a bike!

I bought a bike!

This is a discussion on I bought a bike! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yep, a bike. No motor...a mountain bike. 18 speed, shocks. I put a big gel filled butt cradle of a seat on it because my ...

Thread: I bought a bike!

I bought a bike!

Yep, a bike. No motor...a mountain bike. 18 speed, shocks. I put a big gel filled butt cradle of a seat on it because my butt is a bit bony now.

I rode it tonight, 15 miles. I had a blast! I love ridding a bike and have not done it for several years but now I am getting back into it.

I am loving this bike.
    So, any other bike riders out there. By the way, I always carry the Glock 23, right side hip, OWB Kydex holster, covered by a slightly over sized tank top.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Do you still have thieving neighbors? Keep it inside your house if you do.
    I bought a bike several years ago, it is a lot of fun. Sounds crazy, but I think I get a better workout on the dirt bike than I do a bicycle.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Very nice looking bike it is, Mike. I think your neighbors will be moving real soon after last night. I will probably get the report on Monday and then the fun will begin. Good to see you and your son last night. Read the thread in the TN section of opencarry.org that I posted about my encounter with Officer F. I am still laughing. I really don't think he knew I was pulling his leg.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Distinguished Member
    Well, Mike, you've shamed me into losing ten pounds. Now the bike. Been toying with that idea for a year now. Any tips? No bony butt, but do have something that rhymes with asteroids...

ouch, ouch, ouch!!!!

Excellent move Mike, just watch out for 4x4s full of high-schoolers who throw beercans at you when you're cycling.

I'm a bicycle nut, cycled for years and still have my last bike (don't ride as my knees and back gave out), I ended up on a Single Speed with custom frame, amazingly you don't need the gears as much as you think. SS is like a cult, I drew up plans to ride mine from one end of VietNam to the other...

Anyway, cycling is awesome. I'm a Tour de France junkie, one snippet of information I got from the show this week is this;

The Tour takes 21 days, up two ranges of mountains and several flat speed trials where they go full speed. In those 21 days the calories consumed are equal to 56 regular cheeseburgers.

So if you are eating 56 cheeseburgers in a year, but not exercising to the tune of 21 days of cycling up mountains in that year... you will have a net gain.

Mike, well done!!

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Well, Mike, you've shamed me into losing ten pounds. Now the bike. Been toying with that idea for a year now. Any tips? No bony butt, but do have something that rhymes with asteroids...

ouch, ouch, ouch!!!!
    You can by an aftermarket seat that has moveable pads on it. It Vees and leaves a nice open spot in the middle for certian danglely things to not get squwarshed and numbed. I think it will also solve the 'astroid' issue. I think it is a Lance Armstrong seat.

[]
    /\
    / \ Now draw the rest of the seat outline and you get the idea.

It can be used closed or open and is fairly comfortable for enlarged prostate, numbed danglelies and probably astroids.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Anyone wanting a better seat would be well served to check out www.nashbar.com

The seats in Wal*Mart might be cheap but this is something you are going to sit on for a few hours... comfort is king.

A decade ago, I used to ride mountain bikes alot. Trips to WV, many areas in my area to go on all day rides. I still have the bike, a Cannondale, but have not ridden it in at least 6 years.

Things to not go without, especially if riding offroad. Helmet, gel gloves for comfort, an under seat pouch with: extra inner tubes, tire breaker (to get the tire off the rim, patch kit, chain fixer tool w/ some extra links of chain. Get yourself a water pouch like a camelback.

Clothing, get yourself the stuff that wicks the sweat away from your body. You can get bike shorts that have padding build right into them.

Have fun on the bike!

I bought a mt. bike last Nov, my work site will be relocating to within 5 miles from where i live and its back roads, so that will be my commuter when the weather is nice. I used to do a lot of mt biking when I was in the military overseas, hadn't rode in yrs...its a blast...my dad even bought one. I don't have any pics of it, but its a Specialized Rockhopper Pro w/disc brakes. I took the knobby dirt tires off and put some trail/pavement tires on it and it feels like I'm floating.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Oops, I forgot to add a bike tire inflator and have it put on the frame of the bike. And a tire pressure gauge if you are so inclined.

I have fixed, in the trails, many, many, many flat tires. Have fixed broken chains at least 4 -5 times. That would put a damper on a trail ride when you have to walk your bike back x miles in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by citizen510 View Post
    Very nice looking bike it is, Mike. I think your neighbors will be moving real soon after last night. I will probably get the report on Monday and then the fun will begin. Good to see you and your son last night. Read the thread in the TN section of opencarry.org that I posted about my encounter with Officer F. I am still laughing. I really don't think he knew I was pulling his leg.

I talked to the same Deputy F. that night. I was wearing my Glock 23 on my right hip though I had it concealed as I usually do when I ride my bike. He never even suspected it. Nor did the mother of the boy who was attacked. I stopped as I was finishing my ride that night and spoke to he and the boy and their next door neighbor for about a half hour. Nice folks and the boy surely did not deserve the beating he took.

The problem neighbors next door to us have kept a pretty low profile today and in fact, then the Deputies went to their house lastnight with the mother and boy they would not answer the door. They had the lights off and would not come to the door. We all, and the deputies knew they were home and in fact, as I pulled into our driveway the idiots had all their lights on again.

Honestly, I can not wait for these people to move. And we are not the only ones, everyone else on the street is waiting with great anticipation for them to leave. We may all stand in our yards and wave goodby to them using only one digit as they drive off.

Nice to see you again so soon after the TFA meeting.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sponsored Links