The Passing Of A Generation

The Passing Of A Generation

This is a discussion on The Passing Of A Generation within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was sent this incredible website and I think that everyone should look at and reflect upon. Be sure to have your sound on and ...

1952 - 2006

Thumbs up The Passing Of A Generation

I was sent this incredible website and I think that everyone should look at and reflect upon. Be sure to have your sound on and scroll through the page while reading what this man has to say. As a side note it mentions MSgt Roy Benevidez whom I had the privledge of knowing and have photos of he and I together. Many of my special Forces buddies are passing on in these last few years.

God Bless all our veterans who have given and sacrificed so much for the sake of freedom.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Lead Moderator
    Sadly they make a large percentage of the Obits these days. Hardly a day goes by when there isn't a picture of a "hero" in a WWII uniform that has passed on.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - oh my - what a page of emotions. I hardly have words - perhaps for those of us who ''understand'' just the sharing of our thoughts is enough.

How I wish the young today could take the time to identify and see and remember - but sadly - no, tragically - there seem too few who do.

I understand even better now how my dad (WWII Tank Corps) - was so bitter when while I was a youngster - he'd see the flagrant disregard, and even derision, made by other young folks towards him and his ilk. They were the guys who made my and my peer's childhoods and beyond, what they were. Conflict-free and peaceful, with so much gained - thru the sacrifices of so many in the older generation.

I am privelaged to know some vets and shoot with some. As far as I am concerned they can not only hold their heads high but - they also stand head and shoulders above so many others. I find it disgusting and brutal when they are ignored, belittled, berated even - and so often seemingly all but despised by the powers that be - when in fact they have earned a place in society they are all but denied.

Sorry to rant a bit - this sorta stuff touches sensitive spots.

Thx for the link - it has added a suitable feeling of honorable solemnity - a good reminder, if any were needed. I hope on May 30 - due respect and honor is enahanced toward these guys, all of them.

Lest we forget. TAPS.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Much is said of the WWII generation as they do in fact fade from our presence in ever growing numbers. I too regret their passing and marvel at the contributions and sacrifices that they made....but you can also look at those of that generation that "served" on the homefront and kept things rolling along here. I think it was Tom Brokaw that termed them the greatest generation....and as I've seen my family (of that generation) pass away, it makes me reflect on what they did. Not to lessen the contributions made during the subsequent wars (Korea, Vietnam, Gulf I & II) I think there is no comparison when you account for the solidarity of a whole country and the sacrifices everyone endured and the real basis established for our American Way of Life. Rest in Peace !
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

VIP Member

Dad burying grandma's urn on top of grandpa's grave - grandpa was a career Air Force man, serving in WWII, Korea and Viet Nam.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Assistant Administrator
    Very poignant Betty - beautiful pic.

I should add - further to my writing above - I actually speak broadly about all vets - whether the few WWI folks left - thru WWII, Korea, 'Nam, and now Middle east - even too the smaller conflicts that may have even been forgotten.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links