Ok fess up! What is the stupidest (legal) thing you have ever done with a gun? - Page 4

Ok fess up! What is the stupidest (legal) thing you have ever done with a gun?

This is a discussion on Ok fess up! What is the stupidest (legal) thing you have ever done with a gun? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by aznav Scrovy, you have a divine angel working overtime! I have purposefully avoided this thread because it brings up a couple really ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Scrovy, you have a divine angel working overtime! I have purposefully avoided this thread because it brings up a couple really dangerous and foolish firearm buffoonery moves. When I was fifteen I went to visit my grandparents out of state. I befriended a neighborhood kid. One afternoon we got into his dad's gun cabinet. I was a pretty good shot with a rifle at that point. I was in a high school shooting club (yes, we had them then). The window was open and I had his dad's .306 deer rifle. I noticed a telephone repairman about fifty yards away on a pole. For some reason I took aim at him. Screaming in one ear was my dad saying never, ever point a gun at someone unless you intended to shoot him. I mentally adjusted the site for distance. Raised the rifle just a tad and began to squeeze the trigger. Finally, sanity returned and I stopped. I pulled my finger off the trigger just as the kid said, "Be careful, it's loaded." I could feel the color go out of my face. I never told him what I was aiming at. That was 45 years ago and it was like yesterday. We never had loaded guns in the house so it never crossed my mind there was a shell in the chamber. Never, ever again.!
    I see I am not the only one with someone watching over me! That is scary how close you came to ruining three families!
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

Scrvoy - you were not to blame for the .22 revolver thing with your brother.

SIXTO - speaking of stuffing things down the barrel of a BB gun, my brothers and I tried the improvised shotgun technique with my Powerling 990. What you do is put a few BBs in the barrel - you have to load them from the muzzle - then pump it up about 20 times and shoot something neat.

I get a little ambitious and filled the barrel completely full of BBs. I knew it would take a lot of extra pumps to do the job so I pumped it up about 50 times. When I squeezed (ok, pulled) the trigger, the whole barrel liner with all the BBs and the front sight still attached flew out about 3 feet and hit the ground with a clunk.

Talk about disappointment. Luckily the pieces could be reassembled by a child, but from then on I knew the integrity of my BB gun was compromised.

Oh, I also used to jab the muzzle into the dirt on purpose. That way, when you shoot, it makes a little puff of dust and looks like smoke - like a real gun!!

Austin

I was about 16 and decided to go walking in the woods with my H&R single shot 20ga. I went walking by this large creek and notice a tree down over the water. I went over to check it out and saw a school of fish down in there. Yep I took a few steps out on the log and aimed and fired down at the fish, well... you know what comes next.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphb72 View Post
    I was about 16 and decided to go walking in the woods with my H&R single shot 20ga. I went walking by this large creek and notice a tree down over the water. I went over to check it out and saw a school of fish down in there. Yep I took a few steps out on the log and aimed and fired down at the fish, well... you know what comes next.
    i have no idea what comes next but it sounds exciting. Please explain.

Lead Moderator
    10 yrs ago , we were out shooting Blackpowder rifle. My buddy , his bro and myself. His bros gun. we shot some, put the gun away, then had the thought, what to do with the half can of powder? his bro was going overseas and would not be using the gun for a long time. So , we decide hey, lets burn it off. Might be kinda cool.
    One problem no lighter. I tell my friend , use the truck lighter. We wait for the lighter to pop , in the mean time we pour out he powder and make a trail back from the pile of powder.
    I joke with my buddies bro, saying "watch , my buddy will light the pile instead of the trail." Sure enough, he does(I never got a chance to yell or tell him not to).
    All we see is his feet and the rest of him is in a cloud of white smoke. We see him running backwards out of the smoke, his eyebrows , hair and ball cap smoldering. Luckily he was not hurt, and was wearing shooting glasses.
    The glasses were smoked up on the lenses, and his eyelashes kind of stuck together, but overall he was o.k.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

back in the mid 70's , in Amberg Germany,we were doing platoon tactis and we also did cerw traing. Well we had on the M-60 A3, TPT-T. If you were a tanker your now fire commands . The local tng area had Hawk missle sites. I gave the fire command (bunker Hep) and then (FIRE). That round was marked TPT-T ,BUT it was live HEP. One Hawk Missle site no longer a bunker. Talk about a Very LONG Day.
    God Bless our troops,Pass the ammo
    carry guns,g30,g39
    1911,colt defender 90 / .45
    OLD F##T W/ .45:
    my avater is part of the reason i feel the way i do.

Quote Originally Posted by garyacman View Post
    That round was marked TPT-T ,BUT it was live HEP. One Hawk Missle site no longer a bunker.
    Oops. That would have been one very long day. I'm assuming nobody was in the bunker, if on a training range. Dang. And here we are piddling about our 9mm's.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

wow...Hey at least im not the only one that did something stupid.

When i was about 10 we were burning a brush pile and i stayed behind to watch. For some reason i had a 20 gauge trap shell and figured it would be a good idea to throw it in the fire. Sure enough
    "BOOM" A small, very hot little pellet lodged itself in the bridge of my nose. Right between the eyes. I remember how hot that little sucker was and how stupid i felt. Never told anyone about that one.(thankfully i didn't have 00 buck or similar)

Next dumb move was about 5 years later. I got a shiny new marlin model 60 with the tube mag. Man i could rapid fire those 18 rds so fast it was amazing. Well we lived next to a field and a pond stocked with trout. Snakes from the field would hunt the stupid little trout. So I volunteered to go on snake assassination duty. Well it was slow so I was just fooling around with the little bird shot rounds.

"Hey!" I think to myself, "I'll bet that golf ball would like explode or something if i shoot it!" I get close and "BLAMO" Sure enough, another hot chunk of lead stuck in my face. Actually 2 chunks. One about half an inch below my right eye and the other dead center of my forehead.

From all the stupid things I've done as a teen, its amazing I don't look like a pirate. Complete with peg leg, hook and of course a eye patch. or two
    be safe or at least lucky
    -mac
    Last edited by Macattack; July 31st, 2007 at 02:33 AM. Reason: speellin=harde
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

I got the brainy Idea to test the effects of hollow point 45. ammo on a phone book. I set the book on a bench, dropped the mag out of my 45. and locked the slide open. I put one round in the barrel and droped the slide. BANG!!! I nearly blew the fingers off of my left hand. After I cleaned myself I traced the round through the bench and into the sand and dug up the round. It now sits on my work bench to remind me not to get complacent with firearms and that I was a real dumb^$$.

One more error in judgement with bulk black powder, and no lighter, but I did have a snazzy little foldup magnifying glass and sunlight. Poof, no eyebrows mom.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Lightbulb Fast forward a few years…

…to a time in my early twenties. I had a Mossberg 12 gauge pump when a couple of friends and I were camping on some land owned by another friend. Over the few months that we had been going there we had shot out or scared out most of the rabbits and birds so we were always looking for something to hone our shooting skills on. We tried throwing tin cans into the air and shooting them with the shotguns but that soon grew tiring. I came up with the bright idea of placing a can over the barrel of my 12 gauge and blasting it into the air. Man oh man did that can fly, and it stayed up long enough for us to get several shots in before it hit the ground.

I never even considered things like the can deflecting the shot or clogging the barrel. The only real trouble I had was that on one shot the lip of the can hooked on the front bead sight and ripped it right off of the gun! I never did get it fixed and that shotgun was never worth a tinkers damn for hitting anything with after that.
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

"i have no idea what comes next but it sounds exciting. Please explain."

The water flew up at me and soaked me, then i fell off the tree into the water. Went home wet and with a wet gun and no fish!!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911NM View Post
    One more error in judgement with bulk black powder, and no lighter, but I did have a snazzy little foldup magnifying glass and sunlight. Poof, no eyebrows mom.
    That reminds me of a guy I met at Speech and Drama Camp when I was sixteen.

He had no eyebrows, no eyelashes, scars and no hair for about half of his face.

I asked him what happened.

He tried sweeping up spilt powder with a wire brush and metal dust pan.

Static electricity ignited the powder, good-bye hair.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links