Ok fess up! What is the stupidest (legal) thing you have ever done with a gun?

This is a discussion on Ok fess up! What is the stupidest (legal) thing you have ever done with a gun? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When I was about 17 (many, many years ago) I was house setting for a neighbor in the deserts of Nevada. This neighbor had an ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ok fess up! What is the stupidest (legal) thing you have ever done with a gun?

When I was about 17 (many, many years ago) I was house setting for a neighbor in the deserts of Nevada. This neighbor had an old 16 gauge double barrel shotgun that I had commandeered for the time that I was keeping his house. During this time his house was still under construction and the main living portion was the basement. I was down in the basement cleaning this 16 gauge when I thought I heard a car pull up.

I got up and went to the window and while stretching to see out the high window I placed the barrel of the gun on my right foot. Without really meaning to I pulled both triggers and heard the ominous double click of both hammers falling on empty chambers. I remember thinking that I was sure glad that I had not reloaded the gun.

After I determined that no car had pulled in I went back to my chair and opened the breach and you can imagine my surprise when I found myself looking at twin shinny shotgun shells with neat little dents in the primer caps! My first thought was that I had put spent shells in for some unknown reason.

When I removed the shells they were live. Up to that point I had never known that gun to misfire and I used it all bird season after this incident without a misfire, but I am sure glad it misfired that one time! After I was able to get myself under control I took the gun and those two shells outside and when I pulled the triggers I was rewarded with two fully functional shot shells going off.

Oh, and yes I did learn from this and now I check three times that the gun is unloaded, and then I check once more!

Anyone else have any stories about doing something really stupid that you are willing to share?
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    wow, that's a scary one. Seriously, that's like, divine intervention right there.

I can't say that I've got a story that good. Just a couple of times when I've barrel-swept people inadvertently, and then cursed myself for it. Thus far, I've never had the "I thought it was unloaded" experience (thankfully).

I have a couple confessions. I blame my parents for never teaching me a thing about guns. I was 18 and got my first 2 guns, a marlin .22 and a black powder revolver. With the .22 I shot on old tire. That round came right back and I swear I could feel it pass my ear.

With the revolver I kept it loaded with the firing caps in place. Then I decided to try to twirl the gun around like the cowboys. Then I tried to throw it in the air and catch it. Hammer resting on a cap. Of course I dropped it, and it landed on its butt by luck. Another 1/2 a turn it might've landed on the hammer and would've been poining at me. My wife and baby were right there with me. I was an idiot and it amazing I survived to grow up. (incidentally, there was recently a post with a video where a kid had an ND, it was faked but I showed it to my kids and proudly listened to them say "hey his finger is on the trigger,"and "he shouldn't play with that, its a gun")
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Stupidest thing I ever did was not buy a few that I had in hand, some guns were just meant to be mine and I didn't take the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Seriously, that's like, divine intervention right there. .
    I have always known who stopped that gun from firing, and believe me I spent a lot of time thanking Him!
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

Not me but, a friend of mine laid an over/under shotgun across an older model pickup truck hood and shot a hole in the rise in the middle of the hood with the under barrel slug.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

My very 1st gun was a Raven .25 auto (50 bucks from a friend)
    I was fiddling with it one night, and went to let the hammer down and it slipped out of my fingers, on a loaded chamber. It was another one with a dented primer but didn't fire. I have no idea why it didn't
    I sold it the next day.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Shot through my trucks rear cargo floor, into the gas tank then it yawed up back through the floor and fragmented into the rear seat cushion.

No wonder the AK74 round is called a "poison" bullet!
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    Shot through my trucks rear cargo floor, into the gas tank then it yawed up back through the floor and fragmented into the rear seat cushion.

No wonder the AK74 round is called a "poison" bullet!
    How did you manage this one

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Many years ago I worked with a guy who had a loaded .22 pistol in his truck. For some reason he was trying to move it from the seat area to the map pocket of the door, while driving. While doing this he managed to shoot himself in the leg. Luckily it was only a "flesh wound" and it was only a .22. And don't worry, I know a .22 can be deadly. And yes this guy did learn his lesson...the hard way.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrvoy View Post
    I have always known who stopped that gun from firing, and believe me I spent a lot of time thanking Him!
    Thats good. There is a lot of thanks owed on that one.

I have had a few life lessons, but the one that sticks out in my mind is when I was out shooting with two good friends. We were doing rapid fires, and when one of them ran out and his slide locked back he noticed the heat radiating off the barrel. So, my buddy did what he thought was the next logical thing and proceeded to reach over and brand my forearm with the hot barrel.

In one split second I almost spun and shot him. Fortunately, I regained my composure quickly and employed the use of my trusty danner boots and left him with a fractured shin bone for his stupidity. As well as a few other sore spots and bruises on him too.

Spun me into a dimension of off that I had never reached before at the time though. I later forgave him, but he was never so stupid around me with weapons ever again.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Administrator
    If I were smarter, I'd wait a few more years before even mentioning this story. Since I'm only a little on the dumb side, I'll give the outline, you guys can fill in the details.
    It involves few young soldiers, one being a very handsome guy, a 40mm, a case of beer and a port-a-potty. The handsome guy won a case of beer, and the sandy plains of Fort Benning's range was showered in blue fluid.
    They had to deal with a very unhappy command staff, but to this day I still dont know who did it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If I were smarter, I'd wait a few more years before even mentioning this story. Since I'm only a little on the dumb side, I'll give the outline, you guys can fill in the details.
    It involves few young soldiers, one being a very handsome guy, a 40mm, a case of beer and a port-a-potty. The handsome guy won a case of beer, and the sandy plains of Fort Benning's range was showered in blue fluid.
    They had to deal with a very unhappy command staff, but to this day I still dont know who did it.
    Sounds very much like a story from a Marine friend of mine. His involves range work with wire guided anti-tank missles in Iraq, and a camel that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. His 'incident' remains unsolved as well...

Brian

1943 - 2009
    You want dumb? I got dumb!

Years ago, I owned a Rossi 12 gauge Coach gun, your basic lupara.

18 inch barrels, double triggers, external hammers, chambered for 3 inch Magnums.

I discovered I could drop both hammers at the same time by pulling both triggers simultaneously.

So I hied myself to the range, stoked the tubes with 3 inch 00 buck, and let 'er rip, from the hip.

Let's just say that my right hand was fairly well useless for about a week.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Once, I carried 4 handguns to the range in a bag that was too small. I progreesed from large to small when shooting, ending with my Kel-tec P11. Well, it jammed, so I put it done, and shot another gun. When I was finished, I packed everything up, including the P11. I didn't have time to clean the guns for 2 days. I found that I had my Beretta, and my 2 Glocks, but the Kel-tec was nowhere to be found. I checked my car, bedroom, and everywhere else that I could think, and I just couldn't find it. I called the range, and found that the gun had fallen out of my bag while at the range (tank GOD that it wasn't the parking lot!). When I was able to get to the range to pick the gun up, I found that they had turned it over to Metro, as they couldn't find records that the gun had been registered (it had been registered, , but it just hadn't made it into the police computer). So, I had to go down to the police station to pick it up. It wasn't a problem, but I felt like such an idiot. I bought a much larger range bag, to avoid the problem. I ended up having to take the gun to a gunsmith to get it unjammed, as my attempts didn't work. It wasn't too long after that incident that I sold the Kel-tec, as it was always having problems- stove-piping, Failures to feed, jams, etc. But I was so glad that it didn't find it's way into the hands of a criminal, or some kid.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links