Armed America: Portraits of Gun Owners in their Homes

This is a discussion on Armed America: Portraits of Gun Owners in their Homes within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported today by ABCNews.com: Armed America: Portraits of Gun Owners in their Homes Kyle Cassidy loves to shoot -- cameras, that is. But in ...

Thread: Armed America: Portraits of Gun Owners in their Homes

As reported today by ABCNews.com:

Kyle Cassidy loves to shoot -- cameras, that is. But in 2004, this freelance writer-photographer embarked on a nationwide road trip in search of another breed of shooters, America's gun owners. Such was the genesis of "Armed America: Portraits of American Gun Owners in Their Homes," which hits bookstores Aug. 1, 2007. According to Cassidy, the book is less about firearms and the controversial place they occupy in today's society, and more about the American experience. "This is not a book about guns," said Cassidy. "It's a book about people."

In this image, Stan holds his Taurus PT38s .38 Super. "I think everybody should have a gun," he explains. "It levels the playing field."

See the full report today on the "World News Webcast" at 3 p.m EDT
    (Kyle Cassidy)

The mini-story with more pics of gun owners in America can be found at; http://abcnews.go.com/WN/popup?id=3408842

- Janq would if asked never have agreed to be in this book
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

There's a book I WON'T be picking up on Amazon....
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Administrator
    It's an interesting idea but, I could never understand how folks could like go on national TV displaying the contents of their homes.
    The same personal taboo would be likely applicable in this case with a widely circulated book.
    Maybe if I was getting ready to move to another home/location I might consider being in a photo book.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I'm with Anthony, but I can't quote him here...

(he's in the the third photo)
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    There's a book I WON'T be picking up on Amazon....
    Why? From looking at the pictures it looks like a slice of responsible firearm owners in America each owning a firearm for their own reasons

I posted information on this previously, obviously with the new 'redundancy clause' that thread is closed, but there are a few interesting pictures to see...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=20936

Pete,

Thanks for the bump!
    It's even more interesting a story ow with your link to the project.

http://www.armedamerica.org

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Janq, no problem... thanks to you I was reminded about it and have just been able to order it.

Looks like a good book.

looks like a very interesting project.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Interesting and Unique Project...

I like the pictures...just a cross of many real Americans...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Why is it that most of the people in the pictures look like people that should not have guns. Can't the writer find or want to have "normal" people in his book? Then again, what is normal?

They appear to be pretty much normal and average looking people to me. Even the couple with the girl having guns tattooed on her backside are representative of modern day Americans.

- Janq

Senior Moderator
    It looks like a cross section of America. It should be good to let the liberals see the diversity of Americans who own guns.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

From the article:

Paul: "My family had guns the whole time I was a kid. Then I went off and joined the Army and went away and came back. I have guns now largely for the same reason I have fire extinguishers in the house and spare tires in the car. I'm a self-reliant kind of guy and there could come a time when I need to protect my family and I'm a self reliant kind of guy."

Beth: "I have one for self-protection. I was raised to never rely on anyone else to protect me or watch my back. It took me a year to pick out one that I liked."
    I amy not be into the whole tattoo scene but it looks like a pretty fair cross-section of America and nobody jumps out at me as "Crazy."

Links