Another tragic un-success...

This is a discussion on Another tragic un-success... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Two parolees murder most of a family in CT NO GUNS INVOLVED, according to this story. Evidently, the mother was strangled, and the two daughters, ...

Thread: Another tragic un-success...

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Another tragic un-success...

Two parolees murder most of a family in CT

NO GUNS INVOLVED, according to this story.
    Evidently, the mother was strangled, and the two daughters, tied up, died of smoke inhalation in the home after the scumbags set it on fire.

Note: no DEFENSIVE gun in the picture, either, apparently.

HARTFORD, Connecticut (AP) -- State officials are re-examining their policies after learning two convicted burglars out on parole are accused of killing three family members during a home invasion and arson.

Accused killer Joshua Komisarjevsky lived less than two miles from the Petits.

But Robert Farr, chairman of the Connecticut Board of Pardons and Parole, said the task would be difficult because neither suspect had a history of violent crimes.

"That's why this is sort of shocking -- because it doesn't fit a normal mode," Farr said.

Joshua Komisarjevsky, 26, of Cheshire, and Steven Hayes, 44, of Winsted, were arraigned Tuesday on charges of assault, sexual assault, kidnapping, burglary, robbery, arson, larceny and risk of injury to children. More charges are pending, state police said Tuesday night.

The state medical examiner confirmed that Jennifer Hawke-Petit, 48, was strangled and that her daughters, 17-year-old Hayley and 11-year-old Michaela, died of smoke inhalation. The deaths were ruled homicides.

The girls' father, Dr. William Petit Jr., a prominent endocrinologist, remained hospitalized with head injuries.

"He's doing OK physically. Emotionally he is devastated and still worried about others," said Petit's pastor, the Rev. Stephen Volpe.

Prosecutor Michael Dearington said he had not yet decided whether to pursue the death penalty.

"I know the public consensus is they should be fried tomorrow," he said.
    Then you have this brilliant quote: "That's why this is sort of shocking -- because it doesn't fit a normal mode."

Nice, Mr. Farr. The fact that three people were murdered isn't shocking? It took the fact that these career criminals had not been violent before to shock you? I guess that if they had always made a point to hurt or kill their victims, this wouldn't be shocking, but since they didn't in the past, it's now shocking.

Nope, has nothing to do with cold-blooded murder, to make it shocking. Someone needs to you, Mr. Farr.

2. Remove Ads

I refer to incidents like this when people admit that they think I'm a little "off" for carrying my handgun even in my home and yard.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

PJ,

I'm going to add to your thread additional info sourced via the local paper. This particular situation hits very close to home for me as these people lived in a community just like my own only it's remarkably even safer (!). As well the family involved are just like everyone else on my block +/-10 or 15 yrs. in age.

---

Conn. Town Stunned by Deadly Robbery
    Connecticut Town Stunned After 3 Family Members Die in Apparent Arson-Home Invasion
    POSTED: 12:06 pm EDT July 23, 2007
    UPDATED: 11:18 am EDT July 24, 2007

CHESHIRE, Conn. -- A prominent doctor's wife and two daughters died in a fire that police said was ignited after a home invasion early Monday morning.Investigators told Eyewitness News they believe a home invasion robbery took place at about 3 a.m. at the home of Dr. William Petit Jr. Police said they believe the assailants set the house on fire before leaving the scene..."In Cheshire we're not used to this type of event," Cheshire Police Chief Michael Cruess said. "It's a very unfortunate, tragic event that's probably going to reach right down to the core of the community"...

TIMELINE IN CHESHIRE DEATHS
    July 23, 2007:
    · Police: Assailants enter home at 3 a.m.
    · Police: Mother taken to bank at 9:30 a.m.
    · Bank calls police to report suspicious activity
    · Officers respond, discover fire at house
    · Two men arrested near scene
    · Dr. William Petit Jr. found outside, hospitalized
    · Police confirm three deaths at noon

Source - http://www.wfsb.com/news/13736066/detail.html
    Additional extended information can be found here - http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3407703

Cheshire, CT - Crime Report via CityRating.com
    Burglary - "Is 0.25 times the National Average"
    Arson - "Is 0.23 times the National Average"
    All Property Crime - "Is 0.23 times the National Average"
    Murder - "Is 0.00 times the National Average"
    Robbery - "Is 0.05 times the National Average"
    Forcible Rape - "Is 0.19 times the National Average"
    All Violent Crime - "Is 0.07 times the National Average"
    Source - http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime....shire&state=CT

Joshua Komisarjevsky - 26 yrs. old

* One count:
    o First-degree assault
    o First-degree aggravated sexual assault
    o First-degree burglary
    o First-degree arson
    o First-degree conspiracy to commit arson
    o First-degree robbery
    o Risk of injury
    * Two countss:
    o First-degree larceny
    * Four counts:
    o First-degree kidnapping

"...Komisarjevsky remains held on $15 million bond after facing a judge on Tuesday...Eyewitness News obtained Komisarjevsky's criminal record early Tuesday morning. According to that document, state authorities consider Komisarjevsky a minimum security offender and he has a minimal violence history. Komisarjevsky's criminal record indicates he first entered the system on March 11, 2002.On Jan. 3, 2003, Komisarjevsky was sentenced to nine years in prison for second-degree burglary. He was released to a halfway house on June 6, 2006, and was granted parole by the Board of Pardons and Parole on April 10. Eyewitness News has learned that Komisarjevsky and Hayes recently lived in the same halfway house following their release from prison. According to the criminal record, both Komisarjevsky and Hayes were deemed to be appropriate candidates for supervised parole in the community, based on their criminal history that involved a minimum level of violence. Eyewitness News has learned that both men reported weekly with parole officers and fully complied with the requirements of their release."
    Source - http://www.wfsb.com/news/13745324/detail.html#

Steve Hayes - 44 yrs. old

* One count:
    o First-degree aggravated sexual assault
    o First-degree burglary
    o First-degree arson
    o First-degree conspiracy to commit arson
    o First-degree robbery
    o Risk of injury
    * Two counts:
    o First-degree larceny
    * Four counts:
    o First-degree kidnapping

"...Hayes remains held on $15 million bond after facing a judge on Tuesday...Eyewitness News obtained Hayes' criminal record early Tuesday morning. According to that document, state authorities consider Hayes a minimum security offender and he has a minimal violence history. Hayes' criminal record indicates he first entered the system on June 30, 1980. According to his criminal record, Hayes was sentenced to five years in prison for third-degree burglary on Oct. 1, 2003.He was then released to a halfway house on June 13, 2006. According to his criminal record, Hayes was re-incarcerated for a technical violation and drug use on Nov. 26, 2006. The Board of Pardons and Parole granted Hayes' parole by May 3. Eyewitness News has learned that Komisarjevsky and Hayes recently lived in the same halfway house following their release from prison.According to the criminal record, both Komisarjevsky and Hayes were deemed to be appropriate candidates for supervised parole in the community, based on their criminal histories, which involved a minimum level of violence. Eyewitness News has learned that both men reported weekly with parole officers and fully complied with the requirements of their release."
    Source - http://www.wfsb.com/news/13745529/detail.html#

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Additional relevant information as in regard to small towns and rural communities like Cheshire, CT...

FBI: Violent crimes jump in first half of 2006
    Upswing continues trend that began in 2005; small cities see biggest rise

"...The FBI crime report, which comes out every six months, gave the latest statistics, but provided no explanation for the increase.
    It said reported murders were up 3.1 percent in metropolitan areas, but the largest increase —8.4 percent — occurred in cities with population of between 500,000 and 1 million.
    Robberies were up in all population areas — rural, small cities, medium sized-cities and big cities. The largest increase — 12.8 percent — occurred in cities with populations of only 10,000 to 25,000.While violent crimes increased, so-called property crimes went down by 2.6 percent, mainly reflecting a decline in motor vehicle theft of 2.3 percent. But burglaries showed an increase of 1.2 percent and arsons also went up by 6.8 percent nationwide."

Sources - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11497293 and the http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_02.html (FBI 'Uniform Crime Reporting System')

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

They should tie those two to chairs and let the father in the room with a bat for 10-20min. I don't think shooting them would give enough satisfaction.

VIP Member
    The bad guys looked unscathed in their photos, quite a credit to the restraint of the police, in contrast now think about the photos of the now-deceased victims (which I don't want to see) What an irony.

I can't really post here what I'm thinking and feeling, I think it'd get me kicked off the list.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Prosecutor Michael Dearington said he had not yet decided whether to pursue the death penalty.

"I know the public consensus is they should be fried tomorrow," he said.
    I disagree with this consensus. I think they should've been fried when they kicked the door in. Frying them now will have to do, though.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    They should tie those two to chairs and let the father in the room with a bat for 10-20min. I don't think shooting them would give enough satisfaction.
    Agreed. I think they should give him a room like the ones in the movie "Hostel."

But 10-20 min.? No. I think they need to have those rusty "Hostel" tools, and a reeeeeeally unsanitary environment, you know, roaches and rat feces around... Let the dad do some nice deep punctures, give 'em some horrific infections, then press on them. Then eventually finish them off.

It's just unimaginable that people could ever do what they did to a family like that. What kind of literal MONSTER does one have to be? How can a "person" muster the kind of EVIL to do that to someone who had never harmed him?

Can you imagine that poor father.

Beat down with a baseball bat and tied up in the basement wile his child is tied to the bed, rapped for hours, doused with gasoline and set on fire.

And people want to know why I have a firearm in almost every room of my house.

This is why I choose to protect myself and my family with a firearm. The police arrived in time to capture these two creeps but not in time to save the lives of the women. Carrying a firearm of course is not a guarantee of anything but not carrying one is definitely no protection at all.

The trouble is most people are like this town and this family. They cannot conceive of such evil in the world nor the possibility of that evil invading their world. About the only time they change that attitude is if they narrowly escape an attack. Then all of a sudden they understand the usefulness of guns.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Jeffrey Snyder's "A Nation of Cowards" should be required reading in this country, as should LTC David Grossman's "On Wolves, Sheep, and Sheepdogs." Perhaps then would perceive reality....

Condolences to the family and friends of those who were lost, and hopes for swift and true justice for the animals who perpetrated this heinous act!

This is a horrible crime. I can't imagine being the only one who lived.
    I heard on the news that they are going for the death penility. This is the kind of nightmare that makes me carry my own defense. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends these women left behind.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Ron
    I have never felt it necessary to carry a gun when in my house because I felt that, given where I live, the possibility of a home invasion was highly unlikely Also, because my young grandchildren are often visiting, my guns are always locked in gun safes, and not readily accessable

This horror has caused me to change my mind. I have, and will continue, to carry when at home.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by vanilla_gorilla View Post
    I refer to incidents like this when people admit that they think I'm a little "off" for carrying my handgun even in my home and yard.
    Yeah, but then they'd think you pretty smart if you had a home invasion and had to defend yourself. Better safe than sorry.

Links