online gun auctions

online gun auctions

This is a discussion on online gun auctions within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've bought quite a few things on Ebay, even bought a gun on there when they used to sell them. Never had any problems. I ...

Thread: online gun auctions

VIP Member

online gun auctions

I've bought quite a few things on Ebay, even bought a gun on there when they used to sell them. Never had any problems.

I haven't bought anything online in quite a while. I've been thinking about buying a gun on one of the popular gun auction sites. If I won the bid, I'm considering paying the seller via Paypal. The auction rules say that you have to send the money first. Of course the sellers/buyers have feedback history, which most are positive. Nevertheless is there any protection for me, it seems fairly easy to get ripped off. What is my recourse if I do the Paypal thing then never get the gun I purchased? It doesn't seem that the auction site gets invovled, maybe kick the guy off the site, but that doesn't help me.

It doesn't sound very efficient to start expensive legal matters 5 states away. Any ideas, thoughts, experiences would be appreciated.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

If it were me, I would consider some other form of payment. Paypal is not gun friendly and if there is an issue would be less likely to address the problem in a timely manner.

Use a US Postal Money Order. If the seller rips you off the post office will treat the transaction as mail fraud which places a lot of pressure on the seller to make good on the deal.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

I second the above motion. I've bought and sold a lot on gunbroker and have not had a problem *knock on wood*. The problem with paying for GB auctions on paypal is that they have been known to close peoples accounts if selling anything that is not CA legal (they are based in CA) and/or possible to sell on Ebay... I know multiple people who have had their account shut down.
    I would recommend either a postal money order or www.gearpay.com as they are a gun friendly version of paypal.

I wouldn't worry about having a paypal account shut so much but the big problem is that they can hold your money for upwards of 180 days and there really isn't much you can do about it....again I've known a few people that this has happend to so buyer beware with PP.
    some people have no problem at all with them though.

I would use a money order or a place that will let you use your CC ..

The few i have bought online i have used a money order

VIP Member
    ok, thanks for the info, I feel somewhat better
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    Your best option is to call them and pay with a major credit card by phone after the auction closes.
    That way you are 100% covered and if there is a problem you'll get your money credited back to your account right away and the credit card company will go after the crooked seller.
    That way you get your money back without waiting even if the Credit Card company cannot ultimately collect.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links