Joining Military Question....

This is a discussion on Joining Military Question.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, I have about a year left of college. I talked with two recruiters. I have decided on the Air Force Reserves. Of course, I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joining Military Question....

Question Joining Military Question....

Ok, I have about a year left of college. I talked with two recruiters. I have decided on the Air Force Reserves. Of course, I am giving myself that year to fully decide if going in the military is right.

Since I will have a four year degree, I want to go to the Officers Candidate School.

As many of you know, recruiters will tell you anything to get your signature. So I have a few questions for those of you who can give me the real deal.

Medical- I have a bone spur in my shoulder. I am a rope, repelling and rock climbing instructor right now. Some days it really bothers me, some days it doesn't. But thats in civilian life. I know a military boot camp will be very strenuous. Would this disqualify me?

Home- My home is paid for. But I have no family and since I moved to this area, I dont have any people I know well. What about my dog? Is there something I can do about boarding him somewhere for 8 long weeks?

Also, can having business/personal relations with some people who work in China's government hurt my application process? I have traveled extensively there and in many areas that is not seen by westerners.

Dont get me wrong, Im a USA loving All American white guy. I dont pose any threat, but I dont want the US Govt. to think I do.

The recruiters just told me I would have to give a list of the places I have been, when and who I was with.

What do you think?
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Can't speak to the bone spur - it should be OK, depending on what type of job you want, but only the MEPS doctors can say for sure. If you can rock climb as a profession, you can certainly make it though USAF initial entry training. If you want to be a PJ or Combat Air Controller...that's another story.

Yes, you can board your dog. There are kennels all over the place, if you don't have a friend or family member to take them in. As for watching the house - there are semi-professional "house sitters" out there, but I don't know if you can or would want to use one.

You Chinese contacts WILL make your security clearance investigation more complicated, but they are not a bar to receiving a clearance. As an Officer, you will need at least a Secret clearance, which isn't too in depth of a check... If you get the SSBI required for a Top Secret clearance, you will be asked about those contacts pretty thoroughly.

Good luck, and get everything in writing!
    Last edited by OPFOR; July 26th, 2007 at 01:16 PM.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    With Gvt. ink signed approval before your sig goes on the paper.
    Amazing, some of the "typos" that can happen...

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post

You Chinese contacts WILL make your security clearance investigation more complicated, but they are not a bar to receiving a clearance. As an Officer, you will need at least a Secret clearance, which isn't too in depth of a check... If you get the SSBI required for a Top Secret clearance, you will be asked about those contacts pretty thouroghly.

Yup, and may I add don't try to hide anything. Committing some minor offenses won't likely DQ you for acceptance or clearance, but trying to hide it and getting found out will.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    OPFOR once again layed it all out for you. I understand your concerns with your dog, as it would be for me too. There are plenty of places you can board your dog for eight weeks, but what if you get deployed? Its something to think about.

For the short time I was in a reserve unit, there was a loose network to help each other out during training and long term deployments. Some familys would take in dogs, cats and feed the goldfish. The older kids might go over and mow the lawn or just help out with babysitting so Momma can work or just have a night out. You will have your chance to return the favor.

The chinese issue- I would try and play that up, as you know a little about the culture and have dealt with chinese business customs. It might work, it might not depending at what your job is and what type of unit you are going to.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I can't really speak for all that other stuff, and please nobody take this personal.....but Air Force boot camp strenuous? I have to laugh at that....my sister will even tell you, that if she could make it through, anybody can...don't get me wrong, I love her to death, but she is a girly girl. I wouldn't sweat it man, not unless you plan on trying out for the PJ's as OPFOR stated.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Quote Originally Posted by HnKuspDude View Post
    I can't really speak for all that other stuff, and please nobody take this personal.....but Air Force boot camp strenuous? I have to laugh at that....my sister will even tell you, that if she could make it through, anybody can...don't get me wrong, I love her to death, but she is a girly girl. I wouldn't sweat it man, not unless you plan on trying out for the PJ's as OPFOR stated.
    I know you weren't trying to sound ignorant. But I never said that AF boot camp is THE most strenuous there is. Rather, I was saying it was MORE strenuous than civilian life.

Administrator
    The strain comes from not being at home and out of your comfort zone, its certainly not "hard".
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    Ok, I have about a year left of college. I talked with two recruiters. I have decided on the Air Force Reserves. Of course, I am giving myself that year to fully decide if going in the military is right.

Since I will have a four year degree, I want to go to the Officers Candidate School.

As many of you know, recruiters will tell you anything to get your signature. So I have a few questions for those of you who can give me the real deal.

Medical- I have a bone spur in my shoulder. I am a rope, repelling and rock climbing instructor right now. Some days it really bothers me, some days it doesn't. But thats in civilian life. I know a military boot camp will be very strenuous. Would this disqualify me?

Home- My home is paid for. But I have no family and since I moved to this area, I dont have any people I know well. What about my dog? Is there something I can do about boarding him somewhere for 8 long weeks?

Also, can having business/personal relations with some people who work in China's government hurt my application process? I have traveled extensively there and in many areas that is not seen by westerners.

Dont get me wrong, Im a USA loving All American white guy. I dont pose any threat, but I dont want the US Govt. to think I do.

The recruiters just told me I would have to give a list of the places I have been, when and who I was with.

What do you think?
    try ROTC if you want to be an officer. even if there isn't a ROTC dept at your school, there is one that covers your region somewhere. you will not be guaranteed an OCS slot just because you have a degree.

the bone spur will cause you to get a more thorough examination. if you can convince the doc to sign off on you, you are good to go. i left my enlisted service, went to college (Army ROTC), and re-entered as an officer. when i came back in, i had a reconstructed shoulder, and a reconstructed knee. i was able to demonstrate that they didn't affect my ability to be hooah, so the doc signed off on the waiver.

your security clearance is separate from your ability to get in, but it could affect what jobs are available for you as some require certain clearances. i don't see those things as disqualifiers, but i'm not an intel guy. they may make the interview processes more involved.

good luck to ya. if there's anything else you want to know, feel free to pm or ask here.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    If you are a rope, repelling and rock climbing instructor.. you'll have no problems physically
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

SIG,

GOOD on YA! The military is a great and HONORABLE way of life (even if your selecting the AF! ) LOL +1 on all the advice from above, don't keep ANY secrets. The USAF in particular will pick your credit report apart even before they go to your security clearance. In these times... be prepared to deploy to VERY HOT CLIMATES as soon as you finish either your boot camp or your officers candidate schooling. I've been sending my guys/gals for 6 months to a year to supliment the reserves and active duty folks that are already over there. I'm not a USAF person but I've been in the USN for 25 active years. If you want to drop me a PM or a email, feel free. Good Luck! OY YEAH,,, yuo wouldnt believe the number of younger people I have working under me that have TONS more education than I do. SO if your really looking at the officer program then go to a nearby base and look for advice...........
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

SIG...
    Do you speak the language? If so, which dialect?

Mike
    (Active Duty AF, 13+ yrs)

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    SIG...
    Do you speak the language? If so, which dialect?
    Yes, Mandarin Chinese and a good amount of Korean and Russian.
    Thats actually what I was thinking about doing. The Linguistics program in the AF.
    I hear that program in California is one of the best in the world.

Also, I would like to send a HUGE thanks out to all of you fine folks who have replied to this post!

You guys/gals are great!!!

Sent PM

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Sent PM
    Thanks!!
    Im gonna make something to eat and get back to ya in a few minutes...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links