odds of dying -- interesting chart

This is a discussion on odds of dying -- interesting chart within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I glanced at this in a National Geographic magazine when I went to the doctor's office... of all places. Here's the odds of dying (over ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: odds of dying -- interesting chart

I glanced at this in a National Geographic magazine when I went to the doctor's office... of all places. Here's the odds of dying (over a lifetime, using US stats).

http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

WOW Suicide 1 in 119 I didnt think it would be that high. Holy cow.

VIP Member
    That's an interesting way to display the odds. Some categories I wouldn't have given any thought to (hot weather?)...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Total odds of dying any cause: 1 in 1 (100%)
    ..."Those are some tough odds there...tough odds.."
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Auto accidents should be at the top.Everyday on IH-10 seems like a NASCAR event.

those damned fireworks should be banned immediately
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

VIP Member
    Saved that page.. Thanks wendy!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

again....those firearm assaults.....they shoud be kept in holsters and monitored continuously

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    See, I have a fundamental problem with such pointless charts as this.

Take the example of "fireworks discharge."

Forget about what it says the odds are; the number is not important.

What this chart does not tell you is how that breaks down if you NEVER light off fireworks on your own, or if you WORK in fireworks performance.

See, that's kind of crucial. The so-called "odds" they talk about can be, and are, under your own control to a great degree. If you never go near fireworks discharges, and deliberately stay away from them, then getting killed by them would be beyond freakish. One would have to come out of nowhere to get you.

What they are actually displaying in this chart is not the "odds," because "odds" are not applicable to activities that are not RANDOM, like the toss of a coin, or better, a roll of the dice. What they are displaying is STATISTICS. And there is a huge difference.

Let's say that 10 out of 100,000 people who crossed streets last year got killed doing it. (Pretend they could have counted every single street-crossing, and put the number of deaths over that number.) You'd say that the odds of getting killed crossing the street is ".01 in 100," right? BALONEY. That's just the ratio of people who died to people who attempted the crossing.

I argue that it is relatively easy to make almost certain that you will not be killed crossing the street. One way is to ... never cross the street. That very notion does away with the idea of calling these "odds." "Odds of dying in such-and-such a way" implies that we all stand at the same risk of buying the farm one way or the other and each of us has this same risk, based on the ratio of people who died this way or that.

However, does anyone really think that he shares the exact same odds of getting killed crossing the street as everyone else? Even compared to a guy who is blind and listening to an iPod? See, another way to avoid dying crossing the street is to make sure that every time you do it, you don't venture across until you are absolutely sure there is no car coming, or if there is a car coming, you make absolutely sure you don't try the crossing unless there is adequate time to do so before the car will be upon you. If in doubt, simply wait longer.

What they're calling the "odds" of dying is simply a chart looking back on the breakdown of who DID die. It is useless as a predictor of how you think you might die.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I wonder how carrying lowers firearm assualt odds?I am sure they figured it one way no one would fight back!

or if dying by firearm took you out of the suicide group or if same person in both . or if i was driving down the road deciding to shoot my self ,crashing my car at about the time lightning strikes . aye jeff ? LOL

also heat related is real , it always amazes me when the temp gets to 95 degrees you chitown bunch drop like flies on the freeway . LOL

or how you arizona bunch drive around without wiper blades so that you can't see and you drown , ok so it was a stretch , my stat . LOL

i love stats especially how the company tells you they are broke when it comes time for raises ,but to investers they are making record profits. SORRY NO lol ON THIS ONE !

elance
    Last edited by elance; July 28th, 2007 at 10:58 AM. Reason: computer failure

Distinguished Member
    Zowie! That's the last time I'll go swimming after eating at Burger King in a thunderstorm while carrying on the Fourth of July!!!

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Total odds of dying any cause: 1 in 1 (100%)
    Team American,

I don't like betting on a sure thing, I perfer the long shot.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

lets see, dying of cancer, I have 7 siblings, 1 died of brain cyst( not cancerous), 4 have died of cancer, one is rumered to have cancer.
    Perhaps my chances of not dying of cancer are good.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    lets see, dying of cancer, I have 7 siblings, 1 died of brain cyst( not cancerous), 4 have died of cancer, one is rumered to have cancer.
    Perhaps my chances of not dying of cancer are good.

I'm pretty sure you are joking, but your post illustrates what a LOT of people believe about "odds."

I have spoken with people who think that if you flip a coin five times, and each time, it comes up heads, that if you flip five more times it is overwhelmingly likely to come up tails each time.

Even my dad, in particular, believes that there is "luck" (ambiguously defined, of course): as in, if you sit down at a Blackjack table and a few hands go bad in a row, there's some reason you should get up from that table and find another. As though there is a "momentum" to the cards and they are likely to keep coming up bad.

Likewise, there are people who would believe that just because 1 in 7 people dies of cancer, when someone else in the group dies of it, that means they are not going to!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links