Vietnam War Movie Fans: Which movie was this?

This is a discussion on Vietnam War Movie Fans: Which movie was this? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SIXTO So my pea brain got confused... is it FMJ or not? I know I've seen the movie the OP described, and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam War Movie Fans: Which movie was this?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    So my pea brain got confused... is it FMJ or not? I know I've seen the movie the OP described, and now its bothering me too.
    So, that's a long way of saying that the movie LBrombach has described is definately not FMJ.
    Sorry, SIXTO, I didn't mean to be so ambiguous...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I cannot buh-LEEVE the misconception exhibited earlier in this thread by someone calling Marines "soldiers".

That was NOT what I learned, all those years ago, and making that mistake would have led to severe consequences (but no Marine I ever knew would have made it).

Sort of like making the mistake of mischaracterizing one's "rifle" as a "gun", but 10 times worse.

I mean, when someone proudly told me and some buddies that he had joined the army (one of the "Sister Services"), I was the last one in my group to respond by saying "I'm sorry", which meant that I had to buy lots of beer....

And I didn't particularly ENJOY life in the service, either....I pretty much hated it.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

cleaning the pooper was for stealing beer in platoon not over socks

I'm not a movie expert, but from the OP's description, i.e., helicopter PA playing "Wooly Bully", and the burning of the pooper barrels, it reminds me of the sequel to American Graffiti which was titled More American Graffiti.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

VIP Member
    sol·dier /ˈsoʊldʒər/ [sohl-jer]
    –noun 1. a person who serves in an army; a person engaged in military service. (Note - an army, not the army, and the second clause pretty much sums it up.)
    2. an enlisted man or woman, as distinguished from a commissioned officer: the soldiers' mess and the officers' mess.
    3. a person of military skill or experience: George Washington was a great soldier.

And, like I said, the Commandant called his Marines soldiers in a speech within the last few years. I understand that Marines don't like to be called soldiers, but that doesn't change the fact that they are. I have seen long and mean-spirited threads on other boards where Marines spend pages and pages saying that they aren't soldiers when the indisputable fact is that they are. As an example, I was a Ranger, another form of specialized soldier. I didn't get completely bent out of shape if someone called me a sodier, because I was, in fact, a person engaged in Military service. If you said a Marine was in the Army, you might have an argument, but a soldier is a soldier is a soldier.... I, for one, think those Marines who get their hackles up over something so minor might have better things to do with their time...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Don't Go Using Facts or Logic on Me...

Marines are just better than soldiers, that's all.

Therefore they are different
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

JD
    Administrator
    soooo back to the movie debate

I can't help much other than to confirm that:

The socks/latrine frag thing was not in FMJ.

Woolly Bully was not played over a PA from a helo in FMJ.

Austin

#1 Helicopter flying above jungle at treetop level playing "Wooly Bully" over PA system. The pilots' commander asks him what the heck he was doing (back on the ground) and he replies that he was told to test the PA. Do they work asks the commander, to which the pilot replies "Yes sir! Those 14 inch woofers really ki- Umm, yes sir."
    Definitely "Apocolypse Now"

Have no clue on #2--maybe "Platoon"?

wooly bully wasnt played in apocalypse now that was ride of the valkyries

Solution:

Everybody pick a circa 80s Vietnam flick and then report back to this thread Monday toward the results.

Contenders include the following:
    FMJ
    Platoon
    Hanoi Hilton
    Deer Hunter
    Hamburger Hill
    Apocalypse Now

This sock thing (item #2) must be answered, forthwith.
    #1 is FMJ...I've already provided the evidence toward that.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Im thinkin Boys in company C
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

dont for getboys from company c i know i got that on tape some where course that might be late 70s

also another of R lee ermys fine performances

neither is from deer hunter watched that last week

Boy, I never expected such debate about this. I also figured somone would say, with certainty, "Hey stupid, its ..."

Sorry janq, I just watched Full Metal Jacket 2 wks ago and while I recall Wooly Bully being played, it wasn't blared out of a PA nor was the pilot confronted by someone higher ranking.

Not casulties of war either, that was one of the groundpounders getting fragged (attempted), in my scene it was definately the supply sergeant/quartermaster for being a jerk about the socks. Keep it up, someone will get it. I'll try to get my hands on hamburger hill, forget FMJ (unless you just wanna watch it, it is a goodie)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Solution:

Everybody pick a circa 80s Vietnam flick and then report back to this thread Monday toward the results.

Contenders include the following:
    FMJ
    Platoon
    Hanoi Hilton
    Deer Hunter
    Hamburger Hill
    Apocalypse Now

- Janq

There's no sock thing in FMJ, or Platoon IIRC, or Hamburger Hill, those three I have at home but I'm not there at the moment, I see Vietnam movie weekend in my future

No fraggings in Hamburger Hill

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links