Vietnam War Movie Fans: Which movie was this?

This is a discussion on Vietnam War Movie Fans: Which movie was this? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Bud White dont for getboys from company c i know i got that on tape some where course that might be late ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam War Movie Fans: Which movie was this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    dont for getboys from company c i know i got that on tape some where course that might be late 70s

It may have been a late 70s movie, for all I remember. I think I saw it on TV, so can't rule it out.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

found my copy of it on video so ill rewatch it this weekend.. also pretty sure its not hamburger hill can watch it to if need be

what about fire base gloria?

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    I saw a movie (may have been 2 separate movies) as a kid (20ish years ago) and remember a couple scenes, but it has been killing me for a few years that I can't remember what movie(s) it was. These recounts are real fuzzy and not completely accurate, I'm sure.

#1 Helicopter flying above jungle at treetop level playing "Wooly Bully" over PA system. The pilots' commander asks him what the heck he was doing (back on the ground) and he replies that he was told to test the PA. Do they work asks the commander, to which the pilot replies "Yes sir! Those 14 inch woofers really ki- Umm, yes sir."

#2 Soldier (or Marine, I didn't know the difference at the time) returns from jungle patrol and proceeds to ask the quartermaster for new socks. The QM says "sure, you can exchange your old ones." The soldier says "they rotted off." QM: "no exchange, no socks" Soldier gets PO'd, the QM says that he could get him new socks if the soldier "burns the pooper (services the latrine)." Soldier: "I ain't burnin no pooper!"

Later, you see the QM head to the latrine and hear someone singing "Mamas' little baby loves shortenin', shortenin'" and the person singing rolls a grenade into the latrine. as the latrine (and the QM) blow up, he finishes :"Mamas little baby loves shortenin bread."

i'm not sure about #1, but i know exactly where #2 is from: a tv series called "Tour of Duty". it was the first tv show that dealt with GIs in vietnam. my dad never missed an episode.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i'm not sure about #1, but i know exactly where #2 is from: a tv series called "Tour of Duty". it was the first tv show that dealt with GIs in vietnam. my dad never missed an episode.
    That would explain why I saw it on TV....THANK YOU! Wonder If I can get the series on DVD? (not gonna tell my wife That I know the answer..."sorry honey, I wanted to watch How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days again, but I have to help the guys figure this out it was my question after all.)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Lead Moderator
    Not FMJ, Platoon or Hamburger Hill.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I think it was Tour of Duty...
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    That would explain why I saw it on TV....THANK YOU! Wonder If I can get the series on DVD? (not gonna tell my wife That I know the answer..."sorry honey, I wanted to watch How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days again, but I have to help the guys figure this out it was my question after all.)
    I have Season 1 on DVD, but I haven't watched them yet! (Bought them in Haji-land, along with literally hundreds of others, haven't gotten through them all yet!) I did watch most of the series when it was originally on TV - IIRC it started off very good and went downhill in the second season... I seem to remember the troops getting involved in some type of special operations and it got a bit cheesy.

In any case, I'd have to say that Tour of Duty is a very good bet. I'll try to catch a few episodes and see if anything matches the descriptions. (FWIW - Platoon, FMJ, Hamburger Hill, Apocalypse Now, and The Deer Hunter can be definatively removed from contention.)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I have Season 1 on DVD, but I haven't watched them yet! (Bought them in Haji-land, along with literally hundreds of others, haven't gotten through them all yet!) I did watch most of the series when it was originally on TV - IIRC it started off very good and went downhill in the second season... I seem to remember the troops getting involved in some type of special operations and it got a bit cheesy.

In any case, I'd have to say that Tour of Duty is a very good bet. I'll try to catch a few episodes and see if anything matches the descriptions. (FWIW - Platoon, FMJ, Hamburger Hill, Apocalypse Now, and The Deer Hunter can be definatively removed from contention.)

I found the whole series on DVD for $105. Ouch, that'll wait a while. RE Cheesy: Ignorance is bliss. I can watch all sorts of war movies, and since I was in the Air Force instead of the military, just enjoy them. Not true when things get medical, drives me nuts how quickly movie Medics either bring someone back or declare them dead.

Let me know if you find the Helicoptor scene.

tour of duty was good at first , so was china beach ooh that dana delaney. did you see east of eden ?

elance

Sorry janq, I just watched Full Metal Jacket 2 wks ago and while I recall Wooly Bully being played, it wasn't blared out of a PA nor was the pilot confronted by someone higher ranking...
    Agreed it was not played out of a PA system, it was playing during the primary charachters helicopter ride as I recollect.
    Still it's been confirmed via IMDB toward the movies soundtrack info that the song has only been featured in one war film and that was FMJ.

I too liked Tour of Duty and China Beach.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    How about an episode from "China Beach", or a scene from "Casualties of War"?
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Still it's been confirmed via IMDB toward the movies soundtrack info that the song has only been featured in one war film and that was FMJ.
    Disagree. Check out More American Graffiti via IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079576/soundtrack) and you will find that "Wooly Bully" is there. It is true that the movie is not generally classified as a 'war movie', but a large part of it dealt with the Vietnam War and the wartime experiences of the original characters of the original hit movie American Graffiti. The situations regarding the helicopter, and the burning of the latrine barrels were significant scenes.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

M2
    Tour of Duty: USO Down

Episode Number: 13 Season Num: 1 First Aired: Thursday January 21, 1988

Summary: A USO band comprised of three female dancers, a sax players, and a singer, completes their performance at an outlying base, and are rushed to a helicopter to be flown to their next destination. None of them get a chance to even change their costumes. The helicopter is shot down and the entire crew is killed. Meanwhile, Bravo company is out on a recon, and Taylor who is on point, thinks he must be going crazy when he sees the girl in hot pants and leather boots. Bravo company takes the girls with them but can't call in for help because the radio's batteries are dead.The USO people make the transition to "soldier" with various degrees of success.

Music in this episode:
    - Wooly Bully - Long John and the rest of his friends are performing for the troops over in Vietnam.

(Source)

M2
    More American Graffiti (1979) is the follow-up film to George Lucas's hit film American Graffiti (1973). Whereas the first film followed a group of friends during the summer evening before they set off for college, this film shows us where the characters from the first film end up a few years later.

Most cast members from the first film returned for this sequel, including Candy Clark, Ron Howard, Paul Le Mat, Cindy Williams, Mackenzie Phillips, Charles Martin Smith and even Harrison Ford turns up again but in a cameo appearance. The notable exception is Richard Dreyfuss.

The film made considerably less money than the first film, and its critical reception was nowhere near as positive as it had been for American Graffiti.

Plot
    The film is set over four consecutive New Year's Eves, 1964-1967, and scenes from each of these years are intercut with one another as though the events are happening simultaneously. The audience is protected from being confused by the conceit through the use of a distinct cinematic style for each section. For example, the 1966 sequences echo the movie of Woodstock by using split screen techniques and multiple angles of the same event shown simultaneously on screen, whereas the 1965 sequences (set in Vietnam) are shot hand-held, on grainy super 16 mm film and designed to resemble war reporters' footage. Each section takes pains to recreate the sensibilities and style of its era, and there are references to Haight-Ashbury, the campus peace movement, and the accompanying social revolt.

Given the eventualities of the characters revealed at the end of the original and again at the end of the sequel, most of these ideas are explored in More American Graffiti. John (LeMat) was revealed to have been killed by a drunk driver in December 1964. With his sequence set on New Year's Eve 1964, it is believed, while not shown, that his tragic end comes after his racing win on the last day of the year. The anniversary of John's death is mentioned in both the 1965 and 1966 sequences. Terry's classification as "missing in action" is explored in greater detail. Having faked his own death, Terry (Smith) is believed to be dead by his superiors in 1965 and by friends Steve (Howard) and Laurie (Williams) in 1967. The at-times tumultuous relationship of Steve and Laurie escalates, further strained by Steve's responsibilities as an insurance agent, without their mutual love being cast aside. And free-spirited Debby (Clark), now a major player in Smiths' absence, is chronicled in a long, strange trip that ends with country-and-western music stardom. The drag racing scenes for More American Graffiti were filmed at the Fremont Raceway, later Baylands Raceway Park, in Fremont, California.

Interesting Gimpy.

I'll NetFlix it.
    I'd not heard of M.A.G. before seeing the reference at IMDB and being a fan of the original figured it would be along the same lines. I did not though go investigate it further, nor did I the other flicks referenced at that page.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links