Vietnam War Movie Fans: Which movie was this?

This is a discussion on Vietnam War Movie Fans: Which movie was this? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I saw a movie (may have been 2 separate movies) as a kid (20ish years ago) and remember a couple scenes, but it has been ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam War Movie Fans: Which movie was this?

I saw a movie (may have been 2 separate movies) as a kid (20ish years ago) and remember a couple scenes, but it has been killing me for a few years that I can't remember what movie(s) it was. These recounts are real fuzzy and not completely accurate, I'm sure.

#1 Helicopter flying above jungle at treetop level playing "Wooly Bully" over PA system. The pilots' commander asks him what the heck he was doing (back on the ground) and he replies that he was told to test the PA. Do they work asks the commander, to which the pilot replies "Yes sir! Those 14 inch woofers really ki- Umm, yes sir."

#2 Soldier (or Marine, I didn't know the difference at the time) returns from jungle patrol and proceeds to ask the quartermaster for new socks. The QM says "sure, you can exchange your old ones." The soldier says "they rotted off." QM: "no exchange, no socks" Soldier gets PO'd, the QM says that he could get him new socks if the soldier "burns the pooper (services the latrine)." Soldier: "I ain't burnin no pooper!"

Later, you see the QM head to the latrine and hear someone singing "Mamas' little baby loves shortenin', shortenin'" and the person singing rolls a grenade into the latrine. as the latrine (and the QM) blow up, he finishes :"Mamas little baby loves shortenin bread."

Anybody? Really, I've tried to let this go for years, but I still lose slepp over it. HELP!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Assistant Administrator
    My memory is rusty but can't help thinking of ''Apocalypse Now'' ... and "Full Metal Jacket". I recall Robert Duval in the former putting 'Ride of the Valkyries' out on the AH1 PA as they attacked.

Your quotes tho are familiar - maybe we have better movie buffs on hand
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

JD
    Administrator
    It's neither of those two...this rings familiar but I can't recall the name.

Senior Moderator
    Was it Boys of Company C?
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    Yeah, the "Wooly Bully" reference immediately led me to think FMJ, but nothing else in the description even comes close to that film.

And, just to ruffle all my USMC buddies feathers - Marines are soldiers, by definition. The Commandant refered to them as such in a speech not long ago, and there are recruiting posters looking for "Soldiers of the Sea." They may be a specialized type of soldier (though the large scale amphibious landing has pretty much gone the way of the dodo), but they are soldiers none the less.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Did it have Burt Lancaster in it?
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

I am absolutely stunned that nobody got this one yet.
    This film is a classic and the 'Wooly Bully' reference is what gives it away...

'Full Metal Jacket'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093058

- Janq has seen this flick atleast 30 times...and reminded may go rent it again :)
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

JD
    Administrator
    It wasn't full metal jacket, there was no latrine/grenade scene in FMJ.

There was no sock issue in that either...or was there???

VIP Member
    Definately not FMJ, based on the description. The "Wooly Bully" in FMJ is not being broadcast from helo speakers, there is no PA scene, there is no sock scene, there is no fragging scene, and so on.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

JD,

As I recall the sock dialog came in when Dorian Harewood ('Eightball') was first introduced on scene toward the beginning of the film.
    The lead charachter, the reporter kid, is assigned by a major to follow a crew around and document what happens to them. So he's walked over to the group and there is Eightball along with Adam Baldwin ('Animal Mother') in muck filling sand bags. It was Eightball that asked for new socks and was denied.

Atleast that was the first thing/scene to come to my mind.
    I think I'll go rent this flick again just for the hell of it.
    Even if I'm wrong that'll be okay because this flick is worth a rewatch anyway. :)

Edit: Click on the IMDB listing I provided above. I just now did this myself.
    Now scroll down to the bottom of the page and note where it says "Soundtracks for Full Metal Jacket".
    Click on the link; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/soundtrack

You get...

"Wooly Bully"
    Written by Domingo Samudio
    Performed by Sam the Sham and The Pharoahs
    Courtesy of PolyGram Special Products, a Division of PolyGram Records Inc.

Next click on the link toward "Sam the Sham and The Pharoahs" and it'll send you to; http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1870655
    There it states the song Wolly Bully has been featured in film four times and FMJ is the only war flick to that end.

I didn't know the above until just 2 minutes ago.
    By memory though I'm pretty sure the sock item came up as I described above.
    The Wolly Bully song was being played inside the helicopter (not over a PA) as the writer kid was being ferried from the DMZ into IIRC Saigon. I'm less sure on that being his location though as I am the sock thing, but I do definitely recall it being played in a chopper in that film and he was the passenger.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

JD
    Administrator
    No he meets animal mother and eightball in the and is introduced by Cowboy, then Joker and Animal mother get in each other's faces...

No sand bag scene either... :)

VIP Member
    Actually, Joker is assigned by his Lieutenant to go to Hue City and report on what is happening there. Joker knows that his boot camp buddy Cowboy is there (in Hue), and sets about finding him. Joker finds the Lust Hawk squad (Cowboy, Animal Mother, Crazy Earl, Doc J, Eight Ball, etc) sitting in a ruined building, doing nothing (no sandbag filling, certainly). This is where Joker and Animal have their altercation:
    Animal Mother: You a photographer?
    Private Joker: I'm a combat correspondent.
    Animal Mother: Well you seen much combat?
    Private Joker: I've seen a little on TV.
    Animal Mother: You're a real comedian.
    Private Joker: Well they call me the Joker.
    Animal Mother: Well I got a joke for you. I'm gonna tear you a new *******.
    Private Joker: Well pilgrim, only after you eat the peanuts out of my ****.
    Animal Mother: You talk the talk. Do you walk the walk?
    ...and then Crazy Earl gives his speech about the "guest of honor" at their little party ("These are great days we're living, bros. We are jolly green giants, walking the Earth with guns. These people we wasted here today are the finest human beings we will ever know. After we rotate back to the world, we're gonna miss not having anyone around that's worth shooting.") No mention of socks, no Quartermaster, nothing even close to what the OP remembers.

So, that's a long way of saying that the movie LBrombach has described is definately not FMJ. And yes, I watch that movie too much....

Administrator
    So my pea brain got confused... is it FMJ or not? I know I've seen the movie the OP described, and now its bothering me too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

its not FMJ

Sounds to me like he's got two different films mixed up.
    I know for a FACT that the grenade scene if from "Casualties of War" that stars Micheal J Fox. When he goes to take a #2, some of his comrades try to kill him by tossing a grenade under his latrine. They want to kill him because he tried to stop is squad earlier that tour from raping a girl. They were afraid he was going to tell the CO.

The cleaning the pooper part is from Platoon.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links