BBQ Sauces

BBQ Sauces

This is a discussion on BBQ Sauces within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I love me some barbeque. Chopped beef, brisket, chicken, pork... it's all so good it outta be illegal. My favorite "real" sauce (a sauce someone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBQ Sauces

BBQ Sauces

I love me some barbeque. Chopped beef, brisket, chicken, pork... it's all so good it outta be illegal.

My favorite "real" sauce (a sauce someone makes as opposed to a sauce you can buy at a store) is Joe Allen's secret recipe sauce. If you are ever in Abilene Texas, pull into that place that looks like an abandoned barn of some sort. It's a 5 star restraunt. I dream of eating at Joe Allen's again some day.

My favorite sauce you can buy at a grocery store is Sweet Baby Ray's. I can't decide if the Original is better or the Honey Barbeque flavor is better.

I reckon I'm in the top 10% of people who can eat too much barbecue in one sitting. The only people who eat more than me tend to be those thin as a rail types who can outeat people 5 times their size.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I love me some barbeque. Chopped beef, brisket, chicken, pork... it's all so good it outta be illegal.

My favorite "real" sauce (a sauce someone makes as opposed to a sauce you can buy at a store) is Joe Allen's secret recipe sauce. If you are ever in Abilene Texas, pull into that place that looks like an abandoned barn of some sort. It's a 5 star restraunt. I dream of eating at Joe Allen's again some day.

My favorite sauce you can buy at a grocery store is Sweet Baby Ray's. I can't decide if the Original is better or the Honey Barbeque flavor is better.

I reckon I'm in the top 10% of people who can eat too much barbecue in one sitting. The only people who eat more than me tend to be those thin as a rail types who can outeat people 5 times their size.
    That's one thing about Arizona, lousy barbecue. Most here believe BBQ is supposed to be pressure cooked. And that's just wrong. The second is lousy mexican food, which I find surprising. We just started getting Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce here a few months ago and I do like it pretty well but lean mostly towards tangy rather than sweet sauce. I like Jack Daniels' Mesquite Grilling Sauce....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I like Eastern NC style BBQ sauce. It's vinegar based and just right on pork. I also have developed a strong liking for "white" BBQ sauces. These are generally mayo based, but are so very yummy. They tend to go better on chicken, but I sometimes put some on my pork bbq.

I haven't found a good store bought sauce yet. It's cheap and easy to make the ENC vinegar based sauce anyway (basically, vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, hot pepper flakes boiled on the stove for an hour or so).

Chris

sm
    I've been using some sauces from some local Mom & Pop BBQ joints, all are great, even though different.

Now I used to run up to Corky's in Memphis often, and bring back their sauce and of course "something" to put in on. The Fried Pies - especially the apple- always managed to jump into the sack too. [ imagaine that]

Here in Central AR, we have a Corky's - just not the same. The various M&Ps are great, Tommy's, FatBoys, Lindsay's are just a few.
    Use Enough Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    That's one thing about Arizona, lousy barbecue. Most here believe BBQ is supposed to be pressure cooked. And that's just wrong. The second is lousy mexican food, which I find surprising. We just started getting Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce here a few months ago and I do like it pretty well but lean mostly towards tangy rather than sweet sauce. I like Jack Daniels' Mesquite Grilling Sauce....
    A mesquite sauce is definitely a different flavor. I personally like sauces that are thick and tangy and/or sweet best but I'll eat a good mesquite BBQ too.

Pressure cooked? Man that is just wrong. You grill BBQ, you baste BBQ, if necessary you use an electric grill or an oven but you don't pressure cook it. Ugh...

Last time I was at an all out BBQ, Miss Karen had thoughtfully prepared brisket and sausage for 50 of her colleagues and it was really good. There were literally 50 people at this gathering. 25 of them said they were vegans and didn't want to eat any. 10 more people said they don't eat red meat for personal reasons. Another 10 said they were on some fad diet and couldn't eat meat.

So it was me and two other guys pretty much eating the whole pile... And we kept eating too or Miss Karen's feelings would have been badly hurt after she went through all that effort.

I didn't eat meat, or much of anything else for that matter, for 2 days afterwards...

Vegetarian is an old Indian word for "lousy hunter".

Cowtown BBQ sauce, from Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City (http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/). Best bottled sauce I've ever tasted. Here in KC, that's saying something! Rosedale is good, Gates is OK, Jack stack is great, KC Masterpiece, Famous Daves... we got more good BBQ places here than you can shake a stick at. Nothing better than a pulled pork sandwich at OK Joe's though.

Pressure cook BBQ? Why on earth would you do that? Grill it! Smoke It! Over hickory or mesquite, preferably, but plain ol' charcoal works fine. Gas? No thanks.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

http://www.lockhart-tx.org/BBQ.htm

When I die and go to heaven I plan to stop at lockart on the way, the only serious place in the world for BBQ!
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

You ain't kiddin' 45. Them people BBQ.

FatDaddys BBQ in Blackwell,Ar (Exit 101 on I 40)................its a lil bity place, drive through only, the best HOT BBQ sauce I have ever tasted.
    .44 Smith & Wesson Model 29-2
    .45 Springfield GI
    .45 Springfield Champion
    .44 Special Taurus

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Administrator

Best BBQ in PGH

Boomerang BBQ & Woodfire Pizza

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    The OK Joe sauce is good.

Tony Roma makes a pretty good bottled sauce, but it is VERY, VERY thin. Even though I remind my wife of this each time we use it she still manages to pour out half of the bottle. I really liked his Carolina Honey sauce, but I've had to back off of the carbs a good bit, and that particular sauce is just loaded down with carbs.

I'll have to try some of the sauces mentioned in this thread.

The best barbeque joint I have ever tried is the Carolina Smokehouse in Cashiers, NC.

Barbecue is a ritual for me, being born and raised in Memphis. I do shoulders and dry ribs. I make my own sop and table sauces, the way my grandfather taught me. I have a sweeter, thicker table sauce for ribs and chicken, and a thinner sauce for shoulders. I'm partial to Memphis-style, but also miss pulled pork on corn cakes like they serve at the Bar-B-Cutie in Nashville with that middle Tennessee-style sauce. If you are in the Richmond area, Buz and Ned's is the place to go for ribs.

The ritual begins on a Friday evening, about 7pm, when I make up the rub for the shoulders. I prep the shoulders (usually about 50 lbs) and rub in the spices. Around midnight, I fire up the smoker and bring it up to temp. Once I've got the coals tuned, about 1am, I put the shoulders in the offset smoker. Then I cook them low and slow with a blend of hickory and apple until suppertime on Saturday evening. I have to tend the fire about every 45 minutes, so it is an all-night affair. During the day, on Saturday, I make the table sauces, coleslaw, beans, and do the ribs. The shoulders are done when the skin goes mahogany colored and the meat is falling off the bone tender. The ribs are dry and spicy on the outside, tender and sweet on the inside.

I think it is about time to observe the ritual, folks.
    Last edited by Tom357; May 19th, 2005 at 01:18 PM.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Great writeup Tom, thanks. You have managed to make a whole bunch of us salvating about your BBQ, dam it really sounds good.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

I'll post the recipe for my sauce, tonight. I know it's easier to buy the stuff, but there's something about homemade that just tastes better. Making this sauce is about as easy as it gets.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

A sauce someone makes is always always better than a sauce you just buy. There's no comparison.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links