I'll pass on being a cop in London...

This is a discussion on I'll pass on being a cop in London... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6919291.stm Royal Pc cleared over gun threat A former Metropolitan Police royal protection officer has been cleared of threatening a photographer with a gun. Pc ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'll pass on being a cop in London...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

I'll pass on being a cop in London...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6919291.stm

Royal Pc cleared over gun threat
    A former Metropolitan Police royal protection officer has been cleared of threatening a photographer with a gun.

Pc Paul Page, 36, held journalist Scott Hornby, 26, at gun point last November thinking he was an assassin, Basildon Crown Court was told.

The jury heard that the week before, Mr Page had been warned his life and that of his family were in danger.

He was cleared of possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear, false imprisonment and dangerous driving.

'Psychopath' claim

The court heard Pc Page, who still works for the Metropolitan Police, spotted Mr Hornby, 28, opposite his house in Chafford Hundred, Essex.

After giving chase, armed with a gas-powered air pistol, he called police from his car and caught up with the photographer on a roundabout.

Police officers arrived and arrested Pc Page, who was described by Mr Hornby as a "psychopath".

Pc Page said he thought Mr Hornby was a "hit man" armed with a rifle and feared for the safety of himself and his family.

He had dialled 999 from his car and told jurors he intended to detain Mr Hornby with the help of other officers.

Mr Hornby, a freelance, told the court that he had been asked to photograph Pc Page by the Sun newspaper but did not know why.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Words fail me....

VIP Member
    You have to remember this is the country that where your guilty until proven innocent.

There have been numerous stories where the mere suspicion of a gun brings out the 'Armed Police' squad.

Here is ONE example:

http://www.enfieldindependent.co.uk/...accountant.php
    A TRAINEE accountant was dragged from his partner's house by armed police on Saturday after being caught up in a phantom firearm incident.

George Louca's quiet evening in with his girlfriend came to an abrupt end at 6.15pm, when up to five armed police officers appeared on the doorstep of the flat in Blossom Lane that she occupies.

They were responding to inaccurate reports of a person seen brandishing a firearm in or near the property, which is close to Gordon Hill train station.

Mr Louca, 32, claims that when he opened the door to enquire about the commotion, he found himself staring down several gun barrels and was also threatened with a taser, a powerful electrical device which administers a decapacitating shock.

He said: "My girlfriend ran upstairs screaming. She feared for her life. They told me to put my hands on my head.

"When I asked what the taser was, I was told I should know as I probably own one."
    advertisement

Mr Louca was arrested on suspicion of possessing a firearm or imitation firearm.

A graduate with no criminal record, he says his protests and questions were ignored by the officers as he was bundled down four flights of stairs and taken to Edmonton police station in front of neighbours.

He said: "Soon after I was put in a cell, a sergeant came in and apologised to me." He was released without being interviewed or charged. He said: "I am still in shock and so is my girlfriend."

Mr Louca has informed the Independent Police Complaints Commission of his experience.

A police spokeswoman said: "Acting in good faith, armed officers attended an address to reports of a male armed with a firearm. He was arrested under Section 16a Firearms act."

Mr Louca said his appearance may have counted against him during the incident, but was philosophical about his wrongful arrest.

He said: "I would not be able to practice as an accountant if I had ended up with a record over this. I guess this shows that appearances can be deceptive."
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    Does hell in handbasket come to mind

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have a question about the armed ones that mysteriously show up following a "scare" about an armed person. How do the armed ones know how to use them? I mean, if no one is ever armed except seemingly during a crisis, do they keep them in a box and only pull them out during an emergency?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Assistant Administrator
    do they keep them in a box and only pull them out during an emergency
    Yep - used to be anyways. Lockable box within patrol car - ''armed response team''. The guys on those squads tho do have significant training. Only other case I can think of with ''permanently'' armed is at airport for instance (MP5's) ... but probably no ammo
    Chris - P95

That country is dumb as hell.
    Even if the country of origin had not been cited my first guess would have been the UK.

Cops chasing after a rifle toting "assassin" with an air pistol.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It's changed a bit in the past few years Chris, since 9/11 and 7/7 (tube bombings in London) there are more rapid response teams, plus where I lived in London (Notting Hill Gate) even in the '90s it wasn't too unusual to see armed Police as I was near Kensington Palace and the Israeli Embassy.
    My Dad's neighbor is an armed cop over there, SO21 or whatever they call it now, same as SWAT here, he's moving over here though as he is worth more money in the USA. I don't think the British police are paid enough considering the risks they have with homegrown terrorism.

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for the update Pete - well, being down in SW during 90's and pre 'escape' I was I admit not so much in touch with the Metro guys - doubt I had been in London since late 70's, except for Embassy when I kicked off my imigration stuff in 2000.

Frankly - the better armed they are the better but seems the average bobby will never be carrying in my remaining life.
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Thx for the update Pete - well, being down in SW during 90's
    Devon by any chance?

I lived in Totnes for four years.

Assistant Administrator
    Dang yes ... I was living in North Tawton ... bit North of Okehampton on way to Crediton, from '78 until I left.

Knew Totnes well - did some business there and was often down in Dartmouth too. Also a buddy lived near there at Black Awton. Totnes to Dartmouth road was where I had my closest call ever on 2 wheels!

(Excuse thread drift folks .. still about UK tho!). Must say - local cop where I lived was great - good shooter and buddy too.
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    Just found another stupid story form across the pond.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/6916900.stm

Armed police shoot escaped heifer
    Darlington Cattle Market
    The animals escaped from the market early on Thursday
    Police marksmen have shot dead one heifer, but a second remains on the loose after the pair escaped from a Darlington cattle market.

Officers are searching the market town for the remaining animal described as "extremely dangerous".

Commuters and shoppers have been warned to be on their guard as police say the heifer, weighing about half a ton, will attack anyone it sees.

There have been no reports of injuries to the public so far.

A spokesman for Durham Police said: "We cannot stress too highly how dangerous this animal is.

"It will attack anyone it sees and the public must not approach it in any circumstances.

"The animals escaped from Darlington Cattle Market at about 0500 BST on Thursday."

Police say the first animal was shot in the town's Elton Grove.

The remaining heifer was last sighted in the Skerne Park area of the town.
    I'm sorry, around here when a heifer (female cow) gets loose we herd it back into the field or trailer....they're a lot harder to move as a carcass. We kind of frown on shooting them. I've been around cows most of my life & the females aren't the problem....bulls on the other hand..........

If they are so afraid of a cow, what would happen if the had a really dangerous animal loose. (one other note: How can they not find the second one? Cows are big & if it's loose in town....where's it hiding? Must be a smart one!)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Whatever else GB has ever done to make me think they are a lost cause I am officially shocked, again!!!

They are building special prisons for Muslim terrorists so that they don't get bullied.

Poor little lambs, we can't hurt the terrorist man's feelings now can we?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...70&ito=newsnow

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Just found another stupid story form across the pond.......

Armed police shoot escaped heifer
    Darlington Cattle Market

The animals escaped from the market early on Thursday
    Police marksmen have shot dead one heifer....
    Holey Cow!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    Holey Cow!
    But wouldn't that be India ?

I am thinking .. and if I remember right - a heifer is anyways a young cow not yet with calf - and so overall probably not up to max weight.

"Highly dangerous'' . sheesh ....... well if you get stomped I guess yeah but - heck you can stop these critters easily even if they're spooked ... solo ones anyways ... herd's a different story.
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links