Amazed by airguns!

This is a discussion on Amazed by airguns! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had a BB rifle as a child, and had some friends with a CO2 pistol. While looking through some catalogs, I've seen .17 air ...

Thread: Amazed by airguns!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

Amazed by airguns!

I had a BB rifle as a child, and had some friends with a CO2 pistol. While looking through some catalogs, I've seen .17 air rifles that produce 1000 to as much as 1600 fps. And I've seen rifles in 9mm, .45, and .50, with impressive speeds as well. I can see how these could be of use in a SHTF scenario, especially when ammo for conventional firearms runs out. Hunting, even defense appears reasonable. It looks like I'll have to add some of these as I continue to build my arsenal.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I've been an airgun fan for a long time. Sometimes I prefer them over a .22, its a lot of gun to hunt small game with them too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've got a pellet rifle that supposedly shoots 1000 fps with a .177 caliber pellet. Maybe for the first 10 shots it did. It still does ok, just nothing like when it was new.

I got it so I could get away with shooting squirrels and rabbits in a populated area. (With a safe backstop of course)

Austin

Gamo puts one out that shoots 1600 fps.....Geez Louise, that thing costs a mint too.

I use my RWS to dispatch multiple garden raiding bunny's every year and the neighbors are none the wiser. I also helped a friend of mine with his squirrel problem a couple years ago.

A good .177 at over 1000 fps makes a great close range small game rifle.

I had mine outfittedwith the same sights I use on my competition rifles so it's great for off-hand practice as well.

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck R.; July 29th, 2007 at 01:50 PM.
    homo homini lupus est

CZ makes a .177cal pellet rifle that is around 900fps - for under $100It's my squirrel rifle. It's very effective out to 45 yds. It even took out a grey fox. FUN GUNS.

Mine is a Crosman Quest 1000. Came with a 4x32 scope (not bad, helps with low light) and cost $90 from Cabelas.

Austin

Several years ago I put a .177 caliber pellet through a big gopher's head at 18 yards with a CO2 airpistol. I have seriously respected airguns ever since then...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I have a .22 cal co2 pistol that shoots right near 550fps.I shot a cottontail in the head at about 25 yards and dropped him deader than heck.These are fun guns but they sure aren't toys by any stretch of the imagination.sj

I've taken squirrel with them (and the occasional annoying birds that got into my grandfathers fruit trees and veggies). They are definitely not to be taken lightly. I spoke of this account before, but can't find the original thread:

I was involved in a pellet gun shooting as a child. A few of us were in a friends backyard shooting a sheridan pellet gun(backed up to woods with a reliable backstop). A new kid in the area decided to invite himself and decided it was his turn to shoot. We all decided it best to call it a day as anyone his parent's hadn't specifically "OKd" were not allowed to shoot. We followed the rules. The new guy didn't like it and started a fight over it, grabbing the air-rifle. A struggle quickly ensued and the new guy ended up turning the rifle around and pulling the trigger (rifle had already been pumped before the fight started). My friend was hit in the abdomen. Basically, the round ricocheted around inside his torso. The pellet traveled through his stomach, large intestines, nicked his kidney and eventually lodged in his spine. Thankfully he lived, but was hospitalized, had numerous surgeries, and was generally in bad shape for a while.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Links