Bums = Criminals?

This is a discussion on Bums = Criminals? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does anyone (especially LEOs) know approximately what percentage of bums have a criminal or felony record? Management leaves several side doors unlocked or open in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bums = Criminals?

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar

Bums = Criminals?

Does anyone (especially LEOs) know approximately what percentage of bums have a criminal or felony record?

Management leaves several side doors unlocked or open in the building that I work in and I see bums in the neighborhood every day. My last experience with a bum was not good. Am I crazy or do bums = dangerous criminals?

2. Remove Ads

I assume you are referring to homeless people. Many, in fact I think the majority of homeless people do have criminal records and a majority of those have mental problems and can become violent with little or no provocation.

I would check with your local police department to see if they have statistics on the local homeless population and bring that to the attention of your employers. Voice your concerns over your and your fellow coworkers safety and make it a point of writing all this down with time, date and content of the conversations along with who you spoke to. Make a paper trail that can be brought to court if something happens and there is a criminal or civil action that results.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It comes down to motivation. Generally speaking, the average person with a decent job and living will have less incentive to perform crimes than the average person down on his luck. Be in that position long enough, and many will begin minor crimes to survive.

That said, does "bum" = "criminal"? Of course not, but I'd bet the probability goes up a bit, statistically. No stats I've seen summarize by "bum" vs "employed", "homeless" vs "own/rent comfortably".
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    This may sound a little harsh.....

If you decide to live outside of society, you will probably end up living outside it's laws as well. It may not happen quickly, but I think eventually you would be succumb to the ease of not living with laws.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    One never knows; best to lock the doors because bum or not someone will enter the unlocked door some night with other than good intentions.

Administrator
    Its been my experiance that the "bums" are bums because of mental illness and substance abuse or a combination. There are those who are simply "down on luck" as they like to put it, but again there is reasons they are. Their family and friends wont take them in on a temporary basis for a reason too. So yes, bums equal danger.

Now there are the true hard luck cases out there, but they are few and far between.
    "Just blame Sixto"

To be fair, some "bums" have better morals than some people that own alot.
    When is the last time you heard of a bum committing a carjacking, raping the elderly, or any less than human act such as that? It happens, but not as often as with the "better off" crowd.
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

Administrator
    Ummm, daily. The newspapers and police reports polite way of saying homeless is "address unkown". A lot of bum on bum crime goes unreported as well due to the issues I mentioned in my first post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ten_Ring View Post
    To be fair, some "bums" have better morals than some people that own alot.
    When is the last time you heard of a bum committing a carjacking, raping the elderly, or any less than human act such as that? It happens, but not as often as with the "better off" crowd.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Guess I'm lucky to live were I do then. We have far more trouble out of teens and gangbangers than the homeless.....

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

Administrator
    teens and gangbangers= future homeless.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    teens and gangbangers= future homeless.
    The gangbangers are living better than I am....homeless..... far from it.

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

Administrator
    Maybe, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that your not dabbling in activity that will land you in prison for a few years, your not a mental defective, and what ever kind of home you do have is not purchased from money earned in the drug trade. I bet you earn an honest living too. I bet that you have not burnt your family and friends, so that if you should happen on hard times, you have a support network of people that care about you.
    Those gangbangers have built themselves a house of cards. It may might be nice, but we all know it takes very little send it all crashing down.
    Anyway, I dont think this was the topic of the thread.
    "Just blame Sixto"

SIXTO you are correct, I am one of the ones that try to stop the 'bangers,....now back to our feature presentation ...lol

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I always find it amusing when bums are now called the politically correct term 'homeless.'

Bums virtually live their lives as criminals. Loitering, trespassing, panhandling, begging...not to mention the more violent crimes that are often unreported.

There are clearly some that have become bums due to circumstances beyond their control; the vast majority are mentally disabled. These people should be in institutions not out on the street. Some are simply too lazy to take advantage of the opportunities our society offers.

And yes, the gangbangers are the future bums. At least those that do not spend their entire lies in prison. It is hard to imagine that mire than a few will ever turn their lives around to become contributors to society.

1943 - 2009
    "Bums", as accurately described by SelfDefense, are not to be confused with "hobos". A hobo works for honest wages, & stays in a job just as long as it takes him to save enough money to get him to the next town. He's what my grandpa used to call a "travelin' man". He doesn't want to "put down roots".

A hobo will sleep in a homeless shelter when he can, otherwise he camps out. A true hobo is very seldom involved in criminal activity.

I've worked in a homeless shelter. I learned very quickly how to spot the difference between a hobo and a bum.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links