A small victory!

This is a discussion on A small victory! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been out of work for 5 months now. I lost my job the last week of February, for pretty trivial reasons. I think that ...

Thread: A small victory!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

A small victory!

I've been out of work for 5 months now. I lost my job the last week of February, for pretty trivial reasons. I think that what the unsaid reason was that I looked at gun sites on the internet while working. I had a job in a small minor illness clinic in a Walgreens pharmacy (not run by Walgreens). One day, some of the brass came into the clinic, went into an exam room, then called be in. There was another upper rank person on the phone (All of the people involved were non medical). They first said that I used the internet for personal use. Yeah, I did, as did every other provider and MA in the area.

We worked 12 hour shifts, and there was no advertising.. We were seeing zero to 2 patients a shift. So, all of us were bored to tears, and surfed the web. One employee, who was made a temporary manager, ran her part time business and bought and sold stocks while at work. Anyway, they did comment that I looked at gun sites. They seemed concerned about that. Then, there was a joke that I mistakenly sent another employee, but it was not obscene, and there was no fowl language in the joke. A week after leaving the job, I became ill, and was hospitalized 3 times, then I required 3 months of home IV antibiotics.

So, during that time, I couldn't file for unemployment, as Nevada requires that you be physically able to work. The first week of June, after receiving clearance to work, I filed for unemployment, and started looking for work. I received a letter that the company had filed a protest, and my unemployment compensation was denied. I immediately filed an appeal, the same day that I received my denial.

I had a hearing last Monday. No one from the company showed up. I answered the questions that the hearing officer asked, and made comments as allowed, such as the fact that I had never received any warning or counselling. The company fired me, which meant that I lost a $51/hour job. That should be enough punishment for whatever they felt that I did wrong. . I was told that I would receive a letter with the decision within 2 weeks. After the tape recorder was turned off, the hearing officer smiled and said that she had no idea why I was fired in the first place.

Today, I received the decision, which stated that while it was within the prerogative of the company to terminate me, they did not show that I had committed willful misconduct, as required for a denial. So, I will shortly be getting a check for my benefits, retroactive to the first of June. At least I had a small victory. And, I should start a part time job next week. While it's only 12 hours guaranteed, with PRN hours, I'll still make more than the unemployment benefit, and I'll go full time as soon as there's an opening. Finally, things are looking up. It's been a while.

2. Remove Ads

one victory at a time...congratulations....hope the best for you.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    You should e-mail those jerks at your former job some good pro-gun web links. "Hi folks! Miss me? Here are some good websites you should check out. Aw, heck, what do I have to tell you for? Just go into my "Favorites" folder on my old computer!"

LOL!!

Administrator
    Congrats! Are you going to have to move back to Kali for your new job like you were thinking you might?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Congrats, Squawker.

Hope it all goes well for you.]
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

That is good news. Congrats!

A small victory is a victory none the less. Things are looking up and we are happy for you.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    congrats man!
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

always good to hear a man that wants to work get work. congratulations, and good luck with your future.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Congrats!!
    Hang in there and things will work out for the better!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Congrats! Are you going to have to move back to Kali for your new job like you were thinking you might?

At present, it looks like I'll be staying here in Vegas, which is what I prefer. I'll be working at the jail (yes, the one that's frequently seen on Cops, etc). Part time at first, which will at least put gas in the tank, and give me some little extra. And, I'll go full time at the next opening. Hopefully, I'll start this week.

Lead Moderator
    Congrats. Glad to hear things are starting to look up.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Glad things are turning around for you. Good luck with the new job as well! Also, I wouldn't try to rub it in with the old employer now that you have another job...not that you're that type of person, but it was mentioned already. It would just help support whatever asinine position they had.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Links