...I just don't wear the helmet...

This is a discussion on ...I just don't wear the helmet... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm going to take the day off tomorrow and go see a matinee of Star Wars while all of the children are still in school. ...

Thread: ...I just don't wear the helmet...

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar

...I just don't wear the helmet...

I'm going to take the day off tomorrow and go see a matinee of Star Wars while all of the children are still in school. I've got some really odd feelings about these movies.

I saw the first one, now called Episode IV when I was 26 years old. My Dad and I were always fighting about my future. I wanted to pursue my own agenda, while he talked about me joining in a business venture with him.

During the next major portion of my life, I was on my way back from a very bitter period. I was seeking redemption, wondering if I deserved it. When Luke took the helmet off of his Father, there was just a battered old man, working his way back.

An odd journey. When I was eighth grade, I had thoughts of becoming a priest. Less than two years later I was on a motorcycle. Then I wondered where I was going, jumping jobs, and now somewhat at peace.

And while I enjoy Star Wars, I'm always somewhat pained by Darth Vader, a character portraying a person of my age, simply in a story told backwards.

The search for spirituality, the impatience, the anger, the self destruction, the remorse and the redemption often hit very close to home. Even all of the black clothing we wear becomes a self-effacing joke. And in one of life's painful ironies, we sometimes sound the same breathing.

And so tomorrow, over a bowl of popcorn, I go to witness the destruction of a twenty year old boy, twisted by politics and impatience, lashing out in anger for all of the wrong reasons. I saw a clip of Natalie Portman crying, and I also remember my own wife crying for many of the same reasons.

I always wore mirrored sunglasses when I rode, and I still do from force of habit. No one gets to see inside.

But like I said, I just don't wear the helmet.

2. Remove Ads

May the Shwartz be with you brother!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Today while all the children were in school I was in school with them.

I received a telephone call in my conference period on my personal line.

"Hello?"

On the other end a woman yelled at me in Spanish. Something about a chicken. I know enough Spanish to know the word for a chicken.

"I'm sorry ma'am can I help you?"

Something about money and a chicken. Then I responded very slowly, trying to pronounce each word as correctly as I could.

"Senora, lo siento pero no hablo espanol. Hablo ingles solamente. Que necesita?"

And then she hung up, right as Anakin killed Jar Jar.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Anakin killed Jar Jar.
    Oh, thank you! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

I was thinking about waiting for that to come out on video. Now I think I'll go to the matinee just to watch that little treat!

Don't get too excited.

lol I was joking. I haven't seen the movie.

Tourist?

Bugger!

VIP Member
    Mrshonts and I, along with a handful of pals, went to the midnight premiere. We waited in line since around 7:30pm. It was fun seeing all the costumed people, including the guy who spraypainted a garbage can to look like R2D2.

I have a lot to say about this movie, but I'll keep it short so I don't ramble on. Lots of meat and no potatoes. A daytime soap opera has better dialogue than the stuff Anakin and Padme dribbled out. I almost started laughing. And neither one can act, but I guess it pays to be pretty (Insert Toecutter's "but should you lose the pretty face.." quote here). Lots of lightsaber action. Christoper Lee has always scared me. Choppy editing. R2D2's moves were too over the top. Yoda, fighting liked a crazed gerbil, saved the movie. Chewbacca cameo. Jar Jar cameo at the very end; too bad he doesn't die. I'm a big fan of the original three movies. Did I mention I'm irritated at Lucas' edits of the old movies? HAN SHOT FIRST!

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I saw the movie this afternoon, and then worked for a few hours. It took me a few hours to reflect.

One of these days I'm going to find a way to scan some old black and white pictures I've kept, and post some here. What got me thinking about those photos was the stark contrast in the portraits of Hayden Christensen in just a few short years. He really did look innocent.

For me, the action of the movie was just subtext to advance the plot. The story of people failing and struggling has been where I place my focus.

For example, as the last of 'Anakin' is laid out on the physician's table, I remember my own examination for a seriously broken neck. The thought of your life turning, forever changed, within a few minutes. You cannot live through a "flex extention" test and not feel deep pangs when similar scenes are depicted, no matter how theatric.

And I must admit, that after the surgeries I've had, I try and shake the cobwebs and look for my wife. It was poignant to hear James Earl Jones' voice ask about Padme in such a fragile timber.

I had seen an interview with Lucas who said the story is based on recurrent themes in literature. Stories of pupil and teacher, and of father and son. I also believe that you have to be of a 'reflective' age to feel the parallels as well as draw them.

But let's end on a humorous note. I have asthma and a touch of sleep apnia, especially when I've been on my back for longer periods.

My wife was awakened one night when one of the pups had barked, and then tried to get under her covers. As she came to, she says she listened to an exact rendition of Darth Vader taking several breaths beside her. Even dogs fear The Dark Lord of Sith.

I now offer a 'plasma charge' at some very reasonable prices in my sharpening business. Pardon a few deep breaths.

DC Founder
    Yawn
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Silly, Bumper? Look at it from the dog's point of view.

The breathing, the clanking of the water softener late at night. And the fact that Neko and Sasha are from the same litter, and I often ask, "Where is your sister?"

Heck, even I thought that their initial reluctance to use the newspaper was a 'rebel alliance.'

DC Founder
    I just never got into the Star Wars thing or gone that overboard on any other movie. I mean, hell, I think that Lord of the Rings trilogy is one of the best movies ever made, but I have never dressed up like Frodo.

I did get prodded into going to one of the Star Wars shows a few years back on opening night and felt like I had been transported into a freakshow (sorry, Freakshow) with all of the people dressed up and acting insane. I always wondered if they really were. Another time I got pretty drunk and went to a Rocky Horror Picture Show. I didn't have to wonder whether they were insane, they were....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

The closest I've ever become to being a movie freak is that I've long desired to recreate the shotgun used in the Evil Dead series for no good reason whatsoever.

Oh My Bumper!! You too saw the Rocky Horror Picture Show?? I remember the crowds in Boston...........EVERY Saturday night.....the same people showed up! I can remember the line "Great Scott!" and tons of toilet paper would fly throughout the theater! Thye knew the lines by heart. Including the gentleman when seen narrating the show on screen the shouted......"He has NO NECK!" LMAO

There are movies that seem to speak to the person you are--or from which you are trying to change.

For example, every few years I watch a movie called "All That Jazz." Now, granted, I have no musical talent, but I did lead the same lifestyle. I did come face to face with my own mortality and I did have a lot of messy relationships.

I started watching the moving as a young man, and I was surprised on how the movie and I matured together. Different aspects meant different things to me as I aged.

Same with Star Wars. As a younger man, I was Luke, angry with my Dad and anxious to get on the road on live my own life. Then later in life, after being knocked down a few times, I was Vader; a little more tired, not so eager to view the world in absolutes.

And, of course, the spirituality always keeping in check the anger and lust.

Yes, these movies are clunky with dialog poorly written, acted and felt. But there is a reason I think they are popular. Just about any movie now has CGI. However, everyone has a Father, or a son or a life going in a direction we had not anticipated. We have setbacks, injuries and we make deals with the Devil.

You fight all of these things, either to beat them or just hide them. Then you get sick of the mask, or the mask crumbles. I do not view Vader as the villian, if I ever did. I view him simply as the "every man" character, swept away in the politics and heartbreak of that time in his life.

Links