What Security Gizmos would you like to have?

This is a discussion on What Security Gizmos would you like to have? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Some of you know that I'm into electronics and robotics. I'm looking for ideas for gadgets to make just because I can. Maybe you'd be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Security Gizmos would you like to have?

Some of you know that I'm into electronics and robotics. I'm looking for ideas for gadgets to make just because I can. Maybe you'd be willing to buy something but you can't find it or it's too expensive normally(not looking to get rich, but if I can help support the habit...). Maybe your idea is new or old, defensive or offensive, alarm-related, or even sounds a little sci-fi or nutso. This is a brain-storming session, so lets hear it.

Just to get the ball rolling, things I've thought of building:

-A device that chimes (inside)when someone comes into the driveway
    -A display of some sort that sits on my tv or nightstand that recieves signals from sensors outside the house. (I could know if someone was in the driveway, at the front door/back door/backyard)
    -kinda the same thing for inside the house ( a handheld could light a light for each occupied room)
    -a robot with a stun gun on the front, it attacks anyone not wearing a properly coded RFID tag (hey, this is brain storming so anything goes)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I've often thought that recorded barking dogs and the racking of a shotgun that plays would be good deterents to have play at when necessary. A knock on the door or windows would trigger a barking dog followed by the sound of a shotgun racking with a deep voice yelling "call the police, tell them someone is breaking in and I've got a gun". THe sounds could come from pressure or alarms switches.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - well I have always been of similar ilk - electronics etc .. in fact my eng degree was systems speciality. Mind you ... all the LaPlace transform stuff, Nyquist and matrices is rusty as all get out!

I have had something in mind but danged if I can remember it this minute - gotta think a bit .............

Nope - gone. I'll try and remember at some point - eventually!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post

-A device that chimes (inside)when someone comes into the driveway

I'm pretty sure that something like this already exists. I have friends that have a cabin just west of Milford PA that have one, I think. From what I understood, it used a sensor like a garage door. When the beam was tripped by something crossing it, it sounded a chime inside the house like a door bell. I think they only issue they had with it was wildlife, they do live on a dirt road in the mountains...LOL

I have no idea where they got it, but it is probably commercially available.

I also like the idea of the sensors in the yard / house...

--Jim
    Last edited by firefighter4884; July 29th, 2007 at 11:53 PM. Reason: quote didn't work right (translation... I can't read code on the computer....)
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

I would like the auto guns from alien, you know the ones that track via infrared, or a full row of shotguns mounted to my front bumper, so I can slow down those high speed pursuits with the push of a button. You said to dream right.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    How about an alligator chained in the hall?

I refuse to disable it but.....that lil warning "beep beep be be beep" that my alarm system makes everytime a door is opened/closed has got to change. Maybe have it play part of a song like....Sweet child of Mine....A Country Boy Will Survive. It would be nice to be able to change the "ring Tone" like on my phone.
    PM me if you find a solution....LOL
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Chemical or pepper spray/mist that can be triggered from a safe room?

How about thermal sensors that would show on some sort of display? Maybe just a box wired with LEDs and a rough layout of the house.

You might incorporate black lights to better identify intruders.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    There is a guy on the web that has embedded a RFID tag in his hand. He added a RFID antenna along with some other electronics to his car and now it unlocks when he gets 4 to 6 inches away from the door.

I thought about using this idea to rig a gun safe to open when you got really close to it. Maybe you lay your hand on the door and it unlocks.

I have a little safe mounted in the closet and I can see where this would come in handy if you needed to open it in a hurry.

Most of the hotel type safes have motorized unlocking. You just need to tie another "trigger" to the servo. I that point you should be able to use the the keypad or the RFID.

Once you have the RFID in your hand I guarantee you will find other things to automate.

Here is a site with some of his stuff.http://amal.net/rfid.html
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Administrator
    Can you build me a light saber? I'd pay a lot of loot to get one of those.

I've also wanted always a mechanical mouser, as seen on Tom and Jerry.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that something like this already exists. ...
    I have no idea where they got it, but it is probably commercially available.

--Jim
    Indeed it is available for $150-$200, but depending on my mood, things like that have to be pretty cheap for me to buy them for 2 reasons:
    1. I get some satisfaction out of making things
    2. I'm cheap

[QUOTE=docsludge;441931]I would like the auto guns from alien, you know the ones that track via infrared,QUOTE]

This very device has previously been on my to do list (from about 15 years old). As I've aged I've decided that any weapon should have a human teliing it when to drop the hammer. The current (long-term) to do list includes a remotely operated rifle or 2 positioned to cover the entrances/approaches to the rural homestead. First I need a rural homestead.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG E View Post
    There is a guy on the web that has embedded a RFID tag in his hand. He added a RFID antenna along with some other electronics to his car and now it unlocks when he gets 4 to 6 inches away from the door.

I thought about using this idea to rig a gun safe to open when you got really close to it. Maybe you lay your hand on the door and it unlocks.

I have a little safe mounted in the closet and I can see where this would come in handy if you needed to open it in a hurry.

Most of the hotel type safes have motorized unlocking. You just need to tie another "trigger" to the servo. I that point you should be able to use the the keypad or the RFID.

Once you have the RFID in your hand I guarantee you will find other things to automate.

Here is a site with some of his stuff.http://amal.net/rfid.html

I like it, but I'm thinking the RFID would be glued to my watch or something...

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    I like it, but I'm thinking the RFID would be glued to my watch or something...
    Is it the thought of the needle?

Once you stick a big needle in something it's not that big a deal the second time around.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

It's called 'The Reporter'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links