Had a bike crash....I'm OK...mostly - Page 2

Had a bike crash....I'm OK...mostly

This is a discussion on Had a bike crash....I'm OK...mostly within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Glad you're OK, Mike. Drink lots of water pop a couple Ibuprofens. Then skip work and recover in front of the TV or at the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Had a bike crash....I'm OK...mostly

Glad you're OK, Mike. Drink lots of water pop a couple Ibuprofens. Then skip work and recover in front of the TV or at the range.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I am glad you wern't hurt worse . I do have a comment on the quality of fobus but believe ill start a seperate thread on it lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    Glad you are OK Mike
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

JD
    Administrator
    OUCH! Glad you're OK, you still going to be plenty sore for a day or two, one of my co-workers got hit a month or two ago. Gotta watch those driveways and blind turns...

Administrator
    Wow, good thing your OK for the most part. At least you have a good story about how those scratches got on your new bike.

I wonder if you dented the pavement.

J/K
    "Just blame Sixto"

happed to the best of us.

Having ridden bikes for years.... EVERYONE I ride with has been hit by a car at least once. I was fortunate enough to be forced into a jogger and not actually struck by the car. Got me a consussion and a sleepover at the hospital.

This was my friends bike after a little dance with a car.... $2300 repaid by the guys insurance.
    Attached Images
    -Biker

Just about ready to go to work today.

Just 15 minutes ago there was a knock at the front door and it was the older gentleman who clipped me as he was backing out last night. I was surprised because I didn't know he knew where our house was as we live a couple of streets over from his. But he wanted to make sure I was alright and to see if I needed anything. That was very nice of him.

I assured him I was fine, just scrapped up and sore and I wasn't even staying home from work today. He apologized again for backing into me as I was passing by and I told him it was partly my fault too.

The more I think about it the more I believe what happened was he just barely clipped the back wheel of the bike which knocked me off balance and I think I panicked and in trying not to loose control of the bike I locked the brakes up. The front brakes on this bike are amazing and will stop the front wheel dead no matter how fast you are going. I believe it locked up and sent me over the handle bars and onto my stomach in the street. I instinctively put my hands out to try and brake my fall and thus got a good dose of road rash on my arms and legs. My left wrist is either badly bruised or has a slight fracture. Either way, it is going to be sore for a while and if it is fractured, I may not be doing much weigh lifting for a couple of weeks.

Such is life I guess. I check in when I get home from work. If I feel up to it I am going to ride the bike tonight.

Mtbiker, my bike didn't get hurt near that much! Holey cow! Mine just has a few scratches and scrapes. Kind of like me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Assistant Administrator
    Phew!! Glad no worse than you described Mike but heck man - that's bad enough!

For all those of us who have suffered any type of gravel burn/road rash - that hurts! I'll bet too Mike you feel more like a tumble-dried bruise today! Day after is usually when the aches come home to roost.

Take care anyways and keep those grazes clean. Coupla weeks and they'll be just a loada scabs - your ''trophies'' for surviving
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    With him showing up like that this morning, I'll bet your elderly neighbor had a restless nights sleep.........glad your'e both okay.

What kind of bike do you ride, I've been thinking about getting one?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Mike, I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt, and I hope you have a speedy recovery process!

Road Rash? I have seen loads of that in my career. Always painful.
    Your right....I always tell my patients involved in a incident like that...you will hurt tomorrow. Take it easy for a few. Get well soon.
    I have to tell you that most of the motorcyle accidents I have seen have NOT been the fault of the biker. Auto drivers aren't really looking for you. Be VERY careful.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Mike. What the hey? I just saw this today. If there is anything I can do for you, just holler....

Drink plenty of water...promotes the healing process.

Get in some range time...promotes the healing process.

Chill out and watch a few "shoot'em up" movies...promotes the healing process.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

I did the full 20 miles tonight. Had to get right back up on that horse you know?

For those of you who have asked, the bike I ride is a model Power X by a company called NEXT.
    Mine looks just like this except the name on the frame is Power X instead of Break Point and mine is maroon and silver.

Thanks Citizen510, but I am OK. The only things that really still hurt now is my left wrist is still sore (I expect it will be for a week or two. I may not be lifting weights for a week or so.) and my left leg. The leg got the worst of the road rash somehow and it is still pretty tender.

I'm just glad the bike is OK and that the helmet did its job.
    I bought a new light for the bike on the way home today and got myself a pair of gloves to wear from now on. If I go down like that again I at least want my hands covered when I hit the pavement.
    Attached Images
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Glad to hear that your ok Mike. Any accident you can walk away from.... well you know the rest.

I used to do a lot of riding as well. I was in a full tuck headed down hill at 32MPH when my front tire blew. I went over the handlebars and took the bike with me (my feet were clipped in). I missed my head, but, landed on my hands, and then skidded to a stop on my rump.. Blood trails led to where I was laying. Picked up the bike and carried it back to the car.

Glad to hear that you are wearing a helmet. If you don't have gloves get them. Mine saved my hands. The pavement ate through the padded gloves and into my hands. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had not been wearing them.

Watch those cars!!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Pain is just the sensation of weakness leaving the body.
    Glad to hear that you are okay. I'm sorry, but the next couple of days are REALLY going to hurt. Good luck with that.

I once heard that pain is nothing but a mental state. A mental state that really, really hurts.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links