National Park Service, special team called American Gestapo - Page 3

National Park Service, special team called American Gestapo

This is a discussion on National Park Service, special team called American Gestapo within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ghost tracker First, I'm NOT whacky Counter-Cultural, Chicken Little, Anti-Government, Peace & Love Type. I'm an educated, well-traveled, ex-adventure-seeking, Red Neck from ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: National Park Service, special team called American Gestapo

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    First, I'm NOT whacky Counter-Cultural, Chicken Little, Anti-Government, Peace & Love Type. I'm an educated, well-traveled, ex-adventure-seeking, Red Neck from West Kentucky with basically Conservative leanings. And I'm TELLING YOU that this type of thuggery is NOT isolated. I live a few miles from The Land Between the Lakes, a beautiful wild area of several hundred thousand acres between Kentucky Lake & Lake Barkley with NO commercial or private development that a few years ago was transferred from the responsibility of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to the National Forest Service.

The changes were immediate and severe. The area previously abounded with tourists & locals enjoying the wilderness serenity of undeveloped space. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers & the associated LEOs were Goodwill Ambassadors who encouraged safe fun & responsible respect for a wonderful remaining Wild Place. Bald Eagles built their nests here. Black Bears, Cougars and Bobcats balanced the Deer, Squirrel, Raccoon & Rabbit populations. Bass & Crappie teemed along the shoreline. Truly an amazing National Treasure worth the trip...

Then the NFS took over. Campgrounds were closed. Campers & Hikers turned away. The same place with just new LEOs became a rotten spot to visit. Abuses of power, ridiculous intrusion, almost unbelievable stories (unless you KNEW the teller) of Police having simply NO regard for ANYTHING except their own swaggering authority. Responsible, senior, well-respected members of the community (I'm talking Southern Baptist Deacons) being treated by badge-wearing, punk strangers like an unsavory, unwanted element in a National Wildlife Reserve. These LEOs treat young & old, local & tourist, well-heeled & low-lifed EXACTLY the same...BADLY! It's like something out of a low-budget, Drive-In B-Movie. Where the Corps guys wore Smokey Bear (Drill Sgt.) covers & green (pressed) uniforms with a black satin trouser seam, these NPS guys are in full SWAT black with subdued patches & Airborne (bloused) BDUs. They approach citizens with no due cause requesting ID like it's a LAW to carry one. They ask what BUSINESS visitors have while enjoying LBL. They tolerate nothing but immediate & almost subserviant answers.

Not only do I fear for the decline in respect for authority these LEOs are bringing upon themselves in the region. I also fear that some otherwise law-abiding, local youngsters will resent these abuses to the point that they take EXTREME measures to give these strutting LEOs a lesson in Backwoodsmanship. You see, these NFS guys don't do too well once you get 'em off the road. They may be "tactical" but not too "wilderness skilled". And local Kentucky Country Boys roam the deep woods like they were BORN THERE! It's gonna' happen & it won't be good for anyone. And it's a SHAME it's gonna' happen between U.S. Government Employees & U.S. Citizens being pushed beyond the limits of their tolerance.
    You just convinced me to cancel my fall trip to Land Between the Lakes. I think I would like to have good memories of the place that I have from when we vacationed there as a kid.

That's truly sad that that is happening in our fair state and I agree with you that eventually bad things will happen to bad people. Well deserved if it is as you say it is.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

ExSoldier,
    Wow, a Blackwater Sig 226 shooter. OUTSTANDING! And Practical Shooting School as well? Bud, you're just livin' right. My latest project is a sub-MOA Coyote Sniper AR. I've heard the Song Doggies have now offered a bounty for my head! Enjoy Blackwater...then come back & tell us all about it.

SammyIamToday,
    Sorry to hear my report has changed your plans. But good intel is STILL good intel. Before you finalize your cancellation...remember that there are +170,000 acres of wilderness & +300 miles of undeveloped shoreline in which to STAY AWAY from those guys. And like I said before, they stay pretty close to the paved roads. You can still enjoy the wild places, just don't expect to enjoy the new Management. I fear it will never again be as it was before.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Wink ~sigh~

ExSoldier,
    Wow, a Blackwater Sig 226 shooter. OUTSTANDING! And Practical Shooting School as well? Bud, you're just livin' right. My latest project is a sub-MOA Coyote Sniper AR. I've heard the Song Doggies have now offered a bounty for my head! Enjoy Blackwater...then come back & tell us all about it.
    Awwwwww SHUCKS. I've gotta wait until NEXT summer. My summer vacation is over and I've got to go back to work next week. School opens on Aug 20th. But I'll have something to look forward to and to SAVE for! In the meanwhile, I'm taking the Sig to the range tomorrow and I'll post pix and a range report as soon as I get home.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    For those of you who think a Police State couldn't happen here, I'll bet if you asked the German people prior to WWI if in 30 years they would be committing genocide and brutal human experimentation, they would have thought you insane.

On the flip side, I still remember a park service tour guide in Philly telling us that the founding fathers considered themselves loyal British subjects until the abuses that started the American Revolution. They had no desire to overthrow the government, they just wanted their greviences heard and justly acted upon. When it became obvious that troops were being sent to shut them up, they banded together. Does this sound eerily like recent events?

SammyIamToday,
    Sorry to hear my report has changed your plans. But good intel is STILL good intel. Before you finalize your cancellation...remember that there are +170,000 acres of wilderness & +300 miles of undeveloped shoreline in which to STAY AWAY from those guys. And like I said before, they stay pretty close to the paved roads. You can still enjoy the wild places, just don't expect to enjoy the new Management. I fear it will never again be as it was before.
    There are other places to go in Kentucky that aren't ridiculous. The gorge for example. I just wanted to visit again because I remember it being fun as a kid. I'll just leave it at that.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links