meeting three recruiters soon... - Page 2

meeting three recruiters soon...

This is a discussion on meeting three recruiters soon... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; should I be using lots of 'sirs' and 'mams' ?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: meeting three recruiters soon...

should I be using lots of 'sirs' and 'mams' ?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    Don't over do it. If you naturally use them as many of us from the South do then just maintain your usual usage. If you do not normally use sir and ma'am in conversation with your elders or with supervisors you could put in one or two at strategic points during your interview. Don't try to come across as a Marine recruit with "Sir, yes, Sir." in every sentence. If it is not natural anything more than once or twice will stand out and make the other person wonder why you are doing it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    Yes, respect is a must.

OPFOR has given you some of the best advice you could ask for. Remember, theses guys/gals pride themselves as being professionals and they are.
    One other thing..... don't try to act as professional as them, that comes in time and they know that. Good luck!!!
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

VIP Member
    The wash out rate for USSS us no where near 60%, at least according to the agents I went through FLETC with. And I would say exceptional physical shape is a bit of an exaggeration, though exceptional is a very subjective description. Don't be a total slug, and you're probably OK.

Also, as I'm sure the OP already knows, the USSS trains at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in southern Georgia and at their own facilities in Beltsville, MD. The FBI trains at Quantico, VA. This is common knowledge and isn't even close to being classified.

You will need a TS, and to pass the poly and psych, but none of these are too difficult if your background is relatively clean. They know that everyone isn't a saint, so you don't have to be utterly squeaky clean - just relatively clean... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Cool Cover the tats and remove the piercings!

(LOL)

Good Luck with the interviews.

Mag44Laf
    Semper Fi

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    You will need a TS, and to pass the poly and psych, but none of these are too difficult if your background is relatively clean. They know that everyone isn't a saint, so you don't have to be utterly squeaky clean - just relatively clean... :)
    Along with the other good advice about the clearance issue, I will also add that they look closely at foreign acquaintences and your previous foreign travel. Also, you will need to provide your addresses and people you knew at them for the previous ten years.

I don't know exactly what kind of polygraph is required for the USSS, but it is probably simply an examination as towhether you are a trustworthy American. Some government polygraphs, however, are called lifestyle polys. They are truly a torturous experience even if you are squeaky clean. A friend of mine, who grew up on a farm, was asked whether he had relations with farm animals...He ripped off the sensors and walked out. He got his clearance.

Good luck!!!!

For interviews like this. I always recommend a subdued suit with a red tie. It makes you stand out a little bit from the others, but not too much. Close hair cut and clean shaved.

I have to agree the clearance thing can be a pain. Especially when they start knocking on all your neighbors doors. The funny thing is they think something is going on, when a goverment guy stops buy and starts asking a bunch of questions about you.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

thanks for all the good info.

My background is real clean. Two speeding tickets is all I have. As far as academics. I have a bachelors in accounting, an mba, and a cpa. I think I'll be fine there.

Physically, I can bench press 300 lbs, squat 500, and I can run a 6 minute mile. I was a college athlete and have maintained good condition since.

One tattoo on the upper arm...

Microscope your life?

Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    For interviews like this. I always recommend a subdued suit with a red tie. It makes you stand out a little bit from the others, but not too much. Close hair cut and clean shaved.

I have to agree the clearance thing can be a pain. Especially when they start knocking on all your neighbors doors. The funny thing is they think something is going on, when a goverment guy stops buy and starts asking a bunch of questions about you.
    Had to laugh at this. When my brother-in-law began his career w/ the USSS, he was still courting my sister. The background check extended to asking me questions two states away! I hadn't even met the guy yet, and they were banging on MY door. After that, I sleep very well knowing that the guys doing the tough jobs are well scrutinized. Incidentally, I think they made him finish his Master's before they'd take him. I'm not certain, but I think that is something they'll want you to have.

I was a recruiter for a long time. If you'd like some interview prep that may be a little more in-depth, email me. I'd be happy to help!

Good luck, whatever the case.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Don't do anything to make the clearance difficult. My name is John but I was raised as Jack - even my HS Diploma was listed as Jack. When they ran the background they couldn't find anyone who knew John - I told them to try my AKA of Jack and everything went just fine. It was a small town of about 900 souls and just about everybody knew me. Just a thought.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links