meeting three recruiters soon...

This is a discussion on meeting three recruiters soon... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am meeting a state trooper recruiter, an FBI agent, and a Secret Service Agent real soon. My big/little question is what should I wear? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am meeting a state trooper recruiter, an FBI agent, and a Secret Service Agent real soon.

My big/little question is what should I wear? Normally I would wear a real nice suit, white shirt, and conservative tie to a business interview. What about to these? any different?

Also, I have what would be called medium length hair right now. Should I get a real short haircut for this or stick with what I have?

Thanks a lot!

VIP Member
    Can't go wrong with a dark suit, white/off-white shirt, and tie. Make sure your belt and shoes match! :)

Your hair doesn't have to be a high and tight, but it should be conservative. Same with facial hair - get rid of it, or have a closely trimmed goatee at the most.

The USSS and FBI are the most conservative of the federal agencies, and many State Troopers have a reputation for being that way as well, so keep that in mind. You don't want to completely subvert your personalilty, but always remember that you are trying to join their club, and act/dress appropriately.

Good luck!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Can't go wrong with a dark suit, white/off-white shirt, and tie. Make sure your belt and shoes match! :)

Your hair doesn't have to be a high and tight, but it should be conservative. Same with facial hair - get rid of it, or have a closely trimmed goatee at the most.

The USSS and FBI are the most conservative of the federal agencies, and many State Troopers have a reputation for being that way as well, so keep that in mind. You don't want to completely subvert your personalilty, but always remember that you are trying to join their club, and act/dress appropriately.

Good luck!
    If better advice is out there, I'd be surprised! Good luck!

Follow the above, be yourself and relax. Good luck!

EW3
    Don't wear dirty or scuffed shoes. A little Kiwi won't hurt at all.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Colorado State Troopers working the road all look like they just graduated MCRD.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Administrator
    OPFOR once again gave excellent advice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I know some USSS and FBI guys. Their hair looks like mine for the most part. I get a plastic #2 up the sides and have the barber blend the top. The top is long enough to lay down. Block vs. taper seems to be a personal preference, I've seen both.

For best results if I know my hair has to look good I get a cut a few days before so it isn't standing up. I'm not sure what you mean by medium length. So I don't know how much shorter your hair would be, but if it is a couple inches or more taken off you may want to get cut a week or more before because your hair will stand up with less weight. You may need to get it trimmed if you have a lot taken off.

Also make sure the barber gets your neck. My old guy used to straight razor my neck. My current guy just uses the shaver without a head on it. It does ok, but in a week to 10 days my neck looks bad. Now you know more about haircuts than you ever wanted to know.

I would second shining those shoes up. I've known more than a few guys who judge their candidates on their shoes.

Good luck.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Lead Moderator
    All good advice, and the shoes thing is a plus, since that what most guys miss!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

#3 on top noguard on the sides. Clean shaved.

You want to project a presence of power professionalism and the look of a hard worker.

Personally I would go jacketless, with white long sleeve shirt and tie, sleeves rolled up. Make sure that your nails are trimmed and clean as well as the fresh haircut. Look them in the eyes, keep your hands away from your mouth/face during the interview/s as it show indecision. Bring a notepad and pen as it shows preparedness, (preferably leatherbound - think professional not collage kid). WRITE IN IT. your notepad is your friend in law enforcement. Even if it's nothing to do with the interview. Write your favorite cookie recipie...
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

VIP Member
    No offense FknRa, but for USSS and FBI some of these might not go over too well. Full suit and tie is the standard in these organizations, so the jacket will be expected. Heck, Hoover wouldn't let agents wear colored shirts, for cryin' out loud... Rolled up sleeves are for after work at the watering hole, not for an interview with these sorts of agencies.

As for a high and tight - I wore one for many years, but it looks out of place in these agencies. The Troopers are another matter here, but feds don't often sport the skin-tight sides. Some do, of course, but as a general rule they are thought of as a bit much.

The notebook isn't a bad idea, but remember that they are interviewing you. You don't want to give the impression that you are doodling or otherwise distracted, and you won't be asking too many questions (that require writing down the answer, anyway) because you'll be too busy answering them.

The USSS and FBI - like all federal law enforcement agencies - are extremely competitive. There are hundreds of applicants for every position, so you don't want to be DQ'd for something as simple as looking too "hoo-ah" or too relaxed. At the end of the day, though, it's up to the individual to decide if they want to bend for the organization, or if they want the organization to bend for them. Usually, it ends up as a little bit of both...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

All good advice here...and do make sure the shoes...SHINE!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Alright fellas..thanks a lot!

I will be shorten my hair on the sides and top. What I meant by saying I have medium length hair is that it's probably three inches on top and 1.5 on the sides. I know it needs to be shorten so I'll git 'er done.

I will stick with my 'funeral attire', which is a grey suit, black leather shoes, black belt, white shirt, and I'll pick a nice neutral tie.

I'll post results! Everyone of you will be held accountable!

Mouthwash/breath mint and make sure you have a good handshake.

Nothing worse than a limp fish handshake and then someone's breath smells as soon as you greet them.

Not saying you have either, just make sure you don't have them on the day you meet!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

make sure you remember their names from beginning to end of interview.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links