Someone who never heard of responsibility

This is a discussion on Someone who never heard of responsibility within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As soon as I finished reading the authors story and why she "will not own a gun", I just knew that all of our responses ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Someone who never heard of responsibility

As soon as I finished reading the authors story and why she "will not own a gun", I just knew that all of our responses were going to read just as they do. This gets all of our more than logical principles and SD one liners rev'd up and roaring! We all know that all of us have made the obvious decision of making sure we have the ability to fend off a threat to us and ours. Also, we all know that there are people out there that when asked "Would you own a gun for SD?" they so NO NO NO and dont have a reason we would accept as valid. Finally, we all know that there is nothing we can say, do, show them, or perform infront of them to change their minds. There will always be those "sheep" who would rather be eaten by a lion and have their family morn their death at a premature funeral.

With those facts stated, all we can really do is empathize with these folks and set the example of how we are responsible gun-wielding humans that choose not to be eaten! We all have weighed the Pro's and Con's and everytime, we arrive at why we must be prepared for the worst. Just me tid bit :) God Bless you guys and God be with those who choose not to be armed.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

2. Remove Ads

I'm beyond words.
    What happened to this country? Sure guns can be dangerous..so can remote controls when kids pry off the buttons and choke to death on them...oh and lets not forget swimming without a life jacket...or picking up snakes...or God forbid riding that bicycle.
    According to the CDC, in 2005 they did a study that showed the leading cause of childhood deaths was child passenger car accidents with drowning coming in at second. People take the data and twist things around. What about this little gem:

Child deaths jumped 40 percent last year with abuse being the leading cause of mortality for children under age 4, according to the North Carolina Child Fatality Task Force. article written in 2006 in the Crime Control Digest. or what about this: according to the Division of Bicycle and Pedestrian Transportation from 1997-2005 North Carolina had 395 deaths in kids 0-19 yrs during these eight years. The majority of those in the 11-15 age group.

If one wanted to get picky...we could present real facts regarding hand guns and responsible parenting. Some people are beyond reasoning with.

I'm curious about the "two safety shots" mentioned in the article. What exactly is a safety shot? Is that when you miss twice intentionally to try to scare someone away? Where do you intend the bullets to go when doing this?

Austin

BAAAAA! BAAAAA! BAAAAA! I would rather end up dead then see my grandchildren again, or worse yet have them killed by someone breaking in. BAAAAA! BAAAAAA! BAAAAAA!

At least thats what I heard....I could be wrong. But, I'm not
    God Bless America!!

This type of thinking just blows my mind. More people die from slips in the bathroom then accidental shootings each year.

I can't even imagine the guilt I would feel if one of my family members died while I was hiding in another room. I will lay down my life for my wife and children. The advice the PD gave on the news is just a joke.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Quote Originally Posted by tk4878 View Post
    I'm beyond words.
    What happened to this country? Sure guns can be dangerous..so can remote controls when kids pry off the buttons and choke to death on them...oh and lets not forget swimming without a life jacket...or picking up snakes...or God forbid riding that bicycle.
    According to the CDC, in 2005 they did a study that showed the leading cause of childhood deaths was child passenger car accidents with drowning coming in at second. People take the data and twist things around. What about this little gem:

Child deaths jumped 40 percent last year with abuse being the leading cause of mortality for children under age 4, according to the North Carolina Child Fatality Task Force. article written in 2006 in the Crime Control Digest. or what about this: according to the Division of Bicycle and Pedestrian Transportation from 1997-2005 North Carolina had 395 deaths in kids 0-19 yrs during these eight years. The majority of those in the 11-15 age group.

If one wanted to get picky...we could present real facts regarding hand guns and responsible parenting. Some people are beyond reasoning with.

You should check out this book. The author is interviewed by Amazon and he is fed up with the way our young men are being brought up in todays society all "wussified". I am going to get a copy and hold on to it until I have a son one day.

I agree with the common consensus here.

Senseless idiocy.

If you have children..and a gun lock your gun up when you're not with it.

Children dying as a result of your failure to properly secure your weapon is a 100% avoidable mistake.

Without the means to defend your family, children dying as a result of a home invasion is completely out of your control.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

If my parents had followed the line of thinking in the OP , I probably wouldn't be here today . Guns in our house were no different than any other "tool" that we had . They were kept unlocked and ammo , although separate , was not locked up either . There was no "mystique" about guns . They were for hunting and defense . Not toys to be played with .

Because of my upbringing with firearms , and accessibility to them , it allowed me to defend myself as a 10 year old , home alone , with someone trying to break in . My yelling that I was calling the cops didn't deter the person on the other side of the door . What DID deter them and send them packing was simply , me grabbing dad's pump shotgun , loading it , then walking to the door chambering a round while yelling through the door that I had a gun and what my intentions were if they continued to try and make entry .

Now , would I recommend having firearms and ammo accessible in others houses that have children ? Not necessarily . But the key is knowing your kids , teaching them , and constant reenforcement of safety . MY family will not be left defenseless out of fear of a tool . Apparently , this woman has a lot less regard for HER family .

Yeah yeah , I know , drifting.............
    but OPs like this really get me .

Thanks Kavity. Ordered that book tonight.

About 200 people in the United States kill someone each year in self-defense.
    Ahhh yes, the most misused stat there is.....
    What about those times when the BG is wounded? (I'll give you a hint, only about 5% of defensive shootings result in death IIRC) What about those times when the good guy misses altogether? What about those times when drawing is enough and no shot is fired? What about those times when just the motion of putting ones hand behind the back is enough?

Common sense is not a common virtue...
    Hoplophile

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links