Gun customer runs out of store with gun

This is a discussion on Gun customer runs out of store with gun within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.nbc12.com/news/state/8870337.html Search for suspect in gun theft in Hanover From NBC12 News Hanover Police need help catching a brazen thief. Police say a man walked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.nbc12.com/news/state/8870337.html

Search for suspect in gun theft in Hanover
    From NBC12 News
    Hanover Police need help catching a brazen thief. Police say a man walked into a sporting goods store Monday night, asked to see a hand-gun and then, ran off with it.

Surveillance photos were taken moments before the heist at Green Top Sporting goods on Route 1. Investigators say several employees tried to catch the man but, he escaped into a waiting car outside.

"It was a bold crime, in this case very unusual, for someone to actually run out of the store with a gun," says Hanover Police Sgt. Chris Whitley. “Our primary goal is to apprehend the suspects and recover the weapon."

Witnesses describe their getaway car as a dark blue, Mitsubishi Eclipse with New York license plates.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 780-1000.

(c) 2007. WWBT, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Story Created: Aug 2, 2007 at 8:08 AM EDT

Story Updated: Aug 2, 2007 at 12:56 PM EDT
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    That's pretty freakin' bold!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

that's the difference between a sporting goods chain, and a privately owned gun shop where everyone is carrying. the latter would have had a very different outcome.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Administrator
    I (of course) know that gun laws vary from state to state but I'm wondering if that would be considered to be a good shoot.
    A non agressive person who is doing nothing more than running away with a known empty (but stolen) handgun.
    In other words the thief is unarmed and not threatening at all and does nothing more than to do a quick "grab & run" of a handgun.

I don't think I would take the "back shot" at that running rabbit.

I'd probably get a plate # and let the LEOs handle it. Would the danger of putting a stolen handgun out onto the street be a justification for murder?
    Not in Pennsylvania I dn't think.

does that count as protection of persons and property?

Witnesses describe their getaway car as a dark blue, Mitsubishi Eclipse with New York license plates.
    Just makes me wonder what His Honor Bloomberg would say about one of his hoods coming to VA and stealing a gun.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    That's pretty freakin' bold!
    Something similar happened at the Delray Shooting Center down here in Florida a couple years ago. As I recall, one of the employees chased him outside and actually fired shots at him (missed, though). I think. My memory of the news story is hazy.

Yeah, it's a "bold" move, if by bold you mean "stupid." You rip off a gun store, you almost know you are facing people who are carrying--if not concealed, possibly even open. You really risk getting yourself shot. But who said criminals are smart?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    that's the difference between a sporting goods chain, and a privately owned gun shop where everyone is carrying. the latter would have had a very different outcome.
    Green Top isn't a chain.

Green Top is a very busy place. It was probably best for the folks working not to be firing at a fleeing perp with a bunch of people around.

The privately owned shop I worked at we likely wouldn't be shooting at some guy trying to run out the door with something. Too likely to hit a customer or someone on the sidewalk. Besides usually enough LEOs about we wouldn't have to worry about apprehension of the perp.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    See below, Scott beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Green Top isn't a chain.

Green Top is a very busy place. It was probably best for the folks working not to be firing at a fleeing perp with a bunch of people around.

The privately owned shop I worked at we likely wouldn't be shooting at some guy trying to run out the door with something. Too likely to hit a customer or someone on the sidewalk. Besides usually enough LEOs about we wouldn't have to worry about apprehension of the perp.
    I'm surprised a customer didn't stop him!

One bad thing about Greentop's location is that it is less than a mile to Interstate 95 (store is located on US1), once there, you can put a lot of miles on quickly.

A few years ago they were robbed in the middle of the night. Thieves drove a truck (a wrecker IIRC) into the side of the building & made off with a bunch of weapons.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

IMHO no matter what the product it is not acceptable to shoot a shoplifter, and when all is said and done that is all this guy is a shoplifter.
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    The perp is in deep dahonkey.

That'a federal crime.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

The thing with it being a firearm, there is no way of knowing if he was carrying a round for it. If he had a round in his pocket he could then be an armed/loaded BG.

I don't think it would be a justifiable shoot unless he pointed it at someone. Then the argument could be used that you thought he dropped a round into it.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

VIP Member
    I went by the shop today & talked to a couple of the counter guys.

This miscreant stole a brand new .45 caliber Glock.

(p.s. none of the counter guys appear to be armed & haven't been for some time)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Scrvoy View Post
    IMHO no matter what the product it is not acceptable to shoot a shoplifter, and when all is said and done that is all this guy is a shoplifter.
    i'll agree to disagree on that one. IMHO in most situations it's not safe, but as far as I'm concerned morally there's nothing wrong with it.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I went by the shop today & talked to a couple of the counter guys.

This miscreant stole a brand new .45 caliber Glock.

(p.s. none of the counter guys appear to be armed & haven't been for some time)
    Yeah last time I went up there, the most the guy that helped me out behind the handgun counter had on him,was a P-SARK wave opener knife...

I didn't realize this thread was about one of my fav. places to get supplies and stuff from

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links