Bonehead move of the week.

This is a discussion on Bonehead move of the week. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I work on a military base. No can conceal carry. I even changed my banks to get a safety deposit box to hold the carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonehead move of the week.

Distinguished Member

Bonehead move of the week.

I work on a military base. No can conceal carry. I even changed my banks to get a safety deposit box to hold the carry gun close to base. I had the day off and was doing some errands. Halfway through the day I remembered that I needed to get something from the office. As I went on base and flashed my ID card the new civilian guard asked to see my registration. I patiently explained that it was not necessary with my ID to show my registration. No luck. Grumbling to myself I had to pull over to the side of the gate because I couldn't find my bleeping registration which I always keep in the glove compartment. I finally found it and was getting out of the car to show him. I felt something rubbing against my weak side waist. IIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!! First time in thirty years I was carrying on base. Only the second time I was asked to pull over. My registration was one day expired! I forgot to put the new sticker and registration in the car. However, the bulge under my elbow had me quickly agreeing, getting back in the car (it was almost comical to see me trying to hide the bulge, which, at that point, felt like a hippo had crawled under my weak side and took a nap.
    As I drove back through the gate I breathed a big sigh of relief. Unbelievable. That would have made a giant mess of paperwork and probably a letter of reprimand in my file.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Close Call - glad everything worked out OK and that you made a pronto exit. That sure could have got sticky. We all can't be flawless all the time. You handled it great though and quickly made it right.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I _THINK_ that if you register your weapon with the MPs you can bring it on base unloaded and cased. That's what you had to do in order to have one in your quarters or use the privately-owned weapons range on Ft Carson. It would save you the safety-deposit box routine, so you might want to call your MP station and ask.

PS: One very important point, for Ft Carson anyway, was NOT to bring the weapon on-post before registering it. Write down the serial number and bring that to the MP station... not the gun itself.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when a military base prohibits weapons....having been active duty for the last 13 years, I find it silly.

You can't bring any sort of weapon on base...it's crazy. I was waived off to the side once so they could inspect my vehicle, and I happened to have some brass knuckles(paperweight i swear) and they confiscated them and wrote me a ticket. Of course I had no idea they were illegal, but coming from a PFC, my commander didn't really care. It was a loooooong 7 days of ED. Felt kinda bad for the guys who would get the 45 days. yikes. anyway, good job getting out, but remember you draw more attention to it when you try to cover it up!
    "Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family"

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    I patiently explained that it was not necessary with my ID to show my registration.
    I'm not sure where you got that info, but it's not correct (as you found out).

Glad everything worked out OK. Now, I need to go put MY new sticker on the truck.

Now go and sin no more!

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    It's a pretty sad state of affairs when a military base prohibits weapons....having been active duty for the last 13 years, I find it silly.
    It's a sad state when upstanding citizens of all kinds are, one second, upstanding people rightfully guarding against attack, but the next second are deemed criminals worthy of a faceplant and incarceration ... as if a crime has been committed. Dumb on a general level; stupid to the extreme on a military base with its own staff and members.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

EW3
    I'm in the same boat. My Air Guard unit is on a Naval Air Station, and we cannot carry, even field stripped and locked in a case in the car. I checked personally with the Chief of the AF Security Forces Sq.
    He actually sounded sympathetic and told me that he has police that have to come "aboard"(as the Squids say ) from time to time for training and they even cannot carry. Something to do with not having a storage facility to hold weapons. I think it is silly as well.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I retired from the Air Force and stationed at several bases. I noticed that how the response was depended a lot on the base commanders attitude. In Arizona I was a reserve police officer, stopped by the credit union on base to cash a check and was told I wasn't supposed to be armed on base. Here in Georgia one base commander set up a week end a month to bring firearms out to the range for practice. This has changed, primarily due to 9/11 but also because of changes in base commanders. I find it odd that Georgia allows concealed carry for active duty military but the base doesn't allow any firearms now.

Wow, glad you came out of it okay.

I have a similar story.
    My mother adopted my older cousin when I was younger. By the time I was 13 he was in the AF and one of the folks who would turn the one of the keys (no not a button) to launch a Minute Man II ICBM.

He was stationed at Cheyenne, WY and some other base in South Dakota and I used to go out and spend a month or so for fun during the summer.

Well, at the time you could only be allowed 1 visitor. his GF was always with him, so I had to hide under a big M65 field jacket and a blanket in the back of his p/u.

Sometimes he would get stopped and as a 13 your old sneaking onto a very high security nuclear missile bade, it was exciting.

We never got caught though.

Good times.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

It's real easy to forget sometimes.
    You made a graceful exit.
    BTW.....I believe it's "SAFE DEPOSIT".....not "safety".
    I used to say "safety" myself till someone pointed that out to me.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    Wow, glad you came out of it okay.

I have a similar story.
    My mother adopted my older cousin when I was younger. By the time I was 13 he was in the AF and one of the folks who would turn the one of the keys (no not a button) to launch a Minute Man II ICBM.

He was stationed at Cheyenne, WY and some other base in South Dakota and I used to go out and spend a month or so for fun during the summer.

Well, at the time you could only be allowed 1 visitor. his GF was always with him, so I had to hide under a big M65 field jacket and a blanket in the back of his p/u.

Sometimes he would get stopped and as a 13 your old sneaking onto a very high security nuclear missile bade, it was exciting.

We never got caught though.

Good times.
    Having worked the alert facility of B1s. Alert = uploaded B1s =Nukes I can guarantee you that you are not talking about sneaking into the launch facility. If caught that would have been the end of your cousin’s time in the AF and the beginning of a tour at Leavenworth. Unless I am mistaken as a “Key Turner” he would have been a launch officer in SAC and SAC was many things forgiving was not one of them. SAC had absolutely no sense of humor when dealing with security issues. Getting caught sneaking you on base would have had his PRP pulled and given him a face to face with an enraged base or wing commander. Brings to mind the opening scenes from the old TV show Branded. (That should be obscure enough for a lot of you.)
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Quote Originally Posted by mark555 View Post
    Having worked the alert facility of B1s. Alert = uploaded B1s =Nukes I can guarantee you that you are not talking about sneaking into the launch facility. If caught that would have been the end of your cousin’s time in the AF and the beginning of a tour at Leavenworth. Unless I am mistaken as a “Key Turner” he would have been a launch officer in SAC and SAC was many things forgiving was not one of them. SAC had absolutely no sense of humor when dealing with security issues. Getting caught sneaking you on base would have had his PRP pulled and given him a face to face with an enraged base or wing commander. Brings to mind the opening scenes from the old TV show Branded. (That should be obscure enough for a lot of you.)
    No way did he sneak me onto the missile facility. Im just talking about the actual base. Sorry, I guess I should have just made that more clear.
    I was just telling about what is job was there. He's now in Security Forces (see the irony?). He's been in for almost 20 years now.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

I have lived and worked on Ft. Meade for the past several years, both as AD and as a civilian. The policy here pre 9/11 was all weapons "Stored on base" must be registered with the PMO.

Post 9/11 only residents may requester weapons, only registered weapons may come on base (locked in a case), gate guards must be informed of the presence of the weapon, and shown the paperwork, at which time they will inspect the weapon for safety. At no time may a weapon be transported on base, except to and from the gate's or the range.

The one exception is on the days the range is open to the sportsmen clubs. On these days the gate nearest the range will allow access with weapons from 0730-0800.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links