When seconds count, police only 20+ minutes away...

This is a discussion on When seconds count, police only 20+ minutes away... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.courant.com/news/custom/t...,5028212.story I don't see how anyone can be anti gun after reading this story. Only an insane person will belive the police will save you ...

Thread: When seconds count, police only 20+ minutes away...

http://www.courant.com/news/custom/t...,5028212.story

I don't see how anyone can be anti gun after reading this story. Only an insane person will belive the police will save you after reading this story. Reminds me of the video of the police standing outside VA Tech behind trees with AR-15's and body armor while gunshots are going off.

Administrator
    Yes, we all know that the police have crystal balls that makes it very easy to predict the future and to see whats going on behind walls. As discussed many times on this board, most of us would welcome the police busting down doors on the merits of one 911 call.

Yeah, a pistol in the house could have made a difference, one way or the other. That family made their choice for them, and thats what its really about... choice. Isnt it?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yep and yep.

At the end of the day there is no such person as 'RoboCop', 'Supercop', 'Dick Tracy' nor even 'Superman'.

- Janq aka 'Captain Sav-A-Ho'
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, we all know that the police have crystal balls that makes it very easy to predict the future and to see whats going on behind walls. As discussed many times on this board, most of us would welcome the police busting down doors on the merits of one 911 call.
    Feel free to take what I said out of context.

I know they can't know everything about the situation. But standing outside for 20 minutes? How much longer are you going to wait? I'm not at all blaming the police for the situation. The criminals are the ones to blame.

And like you said, the people who died made their own choice not to own a firearm. Even if they did own one it may not have saved them. But it would have given them a better chance.
    Last edited by Scott; August 3rd, 2007 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Corrected an UBB Code error to make the quote work

Lead Moderator
    Keep it civil guys. PD cannot be everywhere , and do need to follow procedures as well as orders , rather than just charge into the guns. Monday morning QB'ing is nice but you may not know the whole story.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sad story all around, If I were a Cop I'd like to think I could just go barging in..20 mins is just too long. I f back up is gonna be awhile you have to move

Sounds to me like OddBall is saying what most of us believe to begin with: your safety is in your hands.

I don't think was trying to trash the cops; just stating reality. No matter how perfectly the cops perform, they most likely will not be there in time to save you.

As far as the media's reporting of this, it was typical. The cops get trashed no matter what they do.

If they had rushed in and the bad guys had killed the family before the cops got to them, the media would be screaming that the cops should have waited.

Besides, the only lives that don't count in my book are those of the bad guys.

If the cops had rushed in, saved two family members but in the process two cops got shot, the end result would still be that 3 good guys died. Should we rejoice that we traded two cops lives for two other peoples lives?

The bottom line is that the cops will do what they can, but don't ask them to do the impossible. YOU are responsible for your safety whether you accept that fact or not.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I think my avatar states the obvious. I mean no disrespect to police officers whatsoever. But it is well understood by every member here, that my safety (and my family) is absolutely my responsibility.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    The police have a tough job, they do the best they can. Sometimes it does not work out. One of the reasons I am on this site and have a gun on my hip.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    http://www.courant.com/news/custom/t...,5028212.story

I don't see how anyone can be anti gun after reading this story. Only an insane person will belive the police will save you after reading this story. Reminds me of the video of the police standing outside VA Tech behind trees with AR-15's and body armor while gunshots are going off.
    VT Police responded within 3 minutes of the first 911 call and entered Norris hall in under 60 seconds (they had to break through the chains).

# 9:42 a.m.: Students in the engineering building, Norris Hall, make a 9-1-1 emergency call to alert police that more shots have been fired.[59] [60][61]
    # 9:45 a.m.: Police arrived three minutes later and found that Cho had chained all three entrances shut.[62]
    The cops surrounding Norris that you typically see pictures of were either setting up the perimeter or taken after the shooting had stopped. The response time (in force) was pretty remarkable. It just goes to show how quickly things transpire. I know your post wasn't (or hopefully wasn't) a jab at the VT/local police. I just wanted to point out that they responded better than most PD's would have imo.

I get a little defensive when people blame the police or administration for something that is not their fault or within their control.

I stand corrected by a corrected timeline. It took 5 minutes to breach Norris Hall :(.

9:50 a.m.: After arriving at Norris Hall, police took 5 minutes to assemble the proper team, clear the area and then break through the doors.[63] They used a shotgun to break through the chained entry doors. Investigators believe that the shotgun blast alerted the gunman to the arrival of the police.[43] The police hear gunshots as they enter the building. They follow the sounds to the second floor.

I probably shouldn't have re-read that timeline.

Sponsored Links