Accidental shooting of 5 year old boy - merged

This is a discussion on Accidental shooting of 5 year old boy - merged within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A boy fishing with his grand father was killed by a stray bullet alledgedly fired by a police officer who was trying to shoot a ...

A boy fishing with his grand father was killed by a stray bullet alledgedly fired by a police officer who was trying to shoot a snake. full story at fox news .com

If it can happen to a p.o. it can happen to anyone who carries.
    remember those safety rules .
    make sure of your target and what lies beyond.

VIP Member

Not Good! 'Oklahoma Police Kill 5-Year Old Boy While Shooting at Snake'

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292168,00.html

NOBLE, Okla. A stray bullet fired by a police officer trying to shoot a snake hit and killed a 5-year-old boy fishing at a nearby pond, officials said.

Austin Haley was fishing with his grandfather, Jack Tracy, Friday evening when Tracy said he heard a shot and saw a bullet hit the water just a few feet in front of the boat dock where he was standing.

Moments later, a second shot was fired that hit Austin in the head.

A Noble police officer who had responded to a report of a snake in a tree apparently fired the deadly shot while trying to kill the snake, according to City Manager Bob Wade.

Tracy said he initially thought he and his grandson were under attack by someone trying to kill them, so he put the boy into the back of a 4-wheeler and drove to his daughter's house about 200 yards away.

"Then two officers came out of the brush over there," he told The Oklahoman. "They didn't tell us they were the ones who had been shooting or that they had shot him. They didn't admit a doggone thing."

The boy was taken to an Oklahoma City hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

A resident of the Crest Lane neighborhood called police after discovering a large snake in a tree, Wade said.

"I was told that they tried several ways to get the snake down, but it was still hissing at them and firmly lodged," Wade said. "What I was told is that the owner of the home either suggested or agreed that they should go ahead and shoot the snake, and then everything happened from there."

Wade refused to identify the officer suspected of firing the shots but said the officer has been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

"This is so bizarre it has to be fully investigated. ... We're pretty sure circumstantially that it is the bullet from the police officer's gun, but it might be a bullet from someone else," Wade said.

A state investigation has been launched into the shooting, and it appears the fatal shot was fired by the officer, said Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Jessica Brown.

"We have no reason to believe it's not," Brown said. "But there certainly will be an investigation."

Tracy has little doubt about what happened.

"I'm not saying the cop shot him on purpose," Tracy said. "It was an accident. But let me tell you if I had a kid and put him in this car and didn't put him in a car seat and he got killed on the way to town, they'd charge me with murder ... and what this cop did is a lot worse than that."
    All I can say is.......USE A SHOTGUN next time. Sad situation...if this happened to a civilian??????????
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    Oh man..

they should have just left the snake alone.

I wont shoot a snake unless it needs to be shot.

Bad situation. Very bad...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Animal Control???
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Administrator
    What!? Thats not even stupid... its crazy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

"Noble" actions. Hm. Awful for all concerned.

Does a snake in a tree pose a lethal threat to the public, or just a suburban distraction (like seeing Fifi that cat in a tree)? I don't imagine there are many black mambas, tree-climbing rattlers or 20ft boas in Oklahoma.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    "Noble" actions. Hm. Awful for all concerned.

Does a snake in a tree pose a lethal threat to the public, or just a suburban distraction (like seeing Fifi that cat in a tree)? I don't imagine there are many black mambas, tree-climbing rattlers or 20ft boas in Oklahoma.
    It is awful. Stupid actions from the LEO's. They should have a dunce hat nailed to there skulls.

It does remind me of more than a few calls we get in our area. It amazes me that people pay good money for wooded lots, or to be out in the country then get hacked off that the wildlife have the nerve to be in their yard.
    We get calls often from these types. I've been called because a raccoon was seen on a deck, in a tree outside of a window, squirrels running across a roof ( who would have thought? ) deer passing through backyards, snakes living under patios... you get the idea. More often than not, people expect me to execute the animal so its sure not to come back. I just dont get it.

One yuppie family bought a home next to a large pond. The pond did not belong to them, but to the horse farm next door. The new people called the police several times because of the "racket" the bullfrogs made in the evening. They demanded that the police department rid the pond of frogs, and issue a citation to the owners. Yeah, that happened.

Another man called 911 one night because a "badger" was attacking his home, trying to get in and do "god knows what" Well, when me and my partner arrived, it was a raccoon looking for an easy meal from the chicken bones the man left out in his trash can along side the garage. He was quite mad when I told him that I would not kill the animal, there was no reason too. He argued, so I told him the only way I would kill a healthy non threatning critter was if he planned on eating it. The argument ended right then. The man paid good money for the house in the woods...

I've got lots of animal stories, but I'll save them for now. This thread is not about that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

How tragic that a little boy and his family are having to pay for someone's idiotic actions. You don't discharge a weapon without knowing what's down range! A snake in a tree is not a threat! I don't care what kind it is, leave it alone. I bet the thing wasn't even poisonous.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

This is just absolutely ridiculous! *** were they trying to shoot a snake out of a tree in the first place? Sounds like dumb and dumber! :cenSORED:ing stupid people really piss me off! I can't stand stupid people. You want a zero tolerance policy? Well, I sure as hell got one for ya....BAN STUPID PEOPLE!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Very sad indeed...my prayers to the family.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It is awful. Stupid actions from the LEO's. They should have a dunce hat nailed to there skulls.

It does remind me of more than a few calls we get in our area. It amazes me that people pay good money for wooded lots, or to be out in the country then get hacked off that the wildlife have the nerve to be in their yard....
    Agreed.

It was beyond stupid to shoot at a snake in a tree (at least without clearing the area and beyond). Tragic.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want mice in my home, and if a venomous snake was nearby I might have to dispose of or relocate it, but if folks are that afraid of "normal" wildlife (deer, raccoons, squirrels), then stay indoors and seal yourself in!

Links