what an idiot

what an idiot

This is a discussion on what an idiot within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; the guy puts all the effort into creating an entire website around this, without just taking a minute to lookup the background history of why ...

Thread: what an idiot

what an idiot

the guy puts all the effort into creating an entire website around this, without just taking a minute to lookup the background history of why the flag is displayed inverse on the right.

http://www.fixourflag.org/backwards.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7uYaeN4-Ic

what an idiot!!
    "I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel drive.. a country boy can survive..." - Hank Williams, Jr.

heh, what a dork.

guess he doesn't realize that every flag on a pole looks like that from half of the possible perspectives.

since we in the military are "always moving forward", that's the natural perspective.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar
    Looks like a scam to me. There is a donate button...
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Intentional Flincher View Post
    Looks like a scam to me. There is a donate button...
    Roger that
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Administrator
    In a very strict sense, he is correct, but he doesnt know why he is correct. He is challenging the wrong reasons and displays, so there for, yes he is a dork.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    heh, what a dork.

guess he doesn't realize that every flag on a pole looks like that from half of the possible perspectives.

since we in the military are "always moving forward", that's the natural perspective.
    He acknowledges this in his "take action" letter, but I think he overdoes it a little by saying that this will become the new standard. Perhaps he thinks people who see the "backward" flag will be confused.

From his take action section...
    Dear:

President Bush, Senator ?, or Congressman/woman ?

I am writing to you today about the backward American Flag now being used on the Army uniform. Although they are allowed to add the Flag to their uniform, they are not supposed to wear it backwards. The Flag Code spells out very clearly that the field of blue is always supposed to be in the upper left hand corner of the observer's view as they face the Flag. Every American know's this simple rule.

The Army's example of the American Flag is not only wrong but spreading to first responder uniforms throughout the country. It saddens me to see police and fire departments also wearing a backward American Flag on their uniforms. It's as if they have all forgotten what an American Flag is supposed to look like.

The Army's main excuse for the backward Flag is, if they were carrying an actual Flag into battle it would fly this way in the breeze as they move forward. A free flying American Flag does have a backside like everything else does. However, that backside shouldn't’t become the representation of our country. The proper side of the Flag blows in the breeze as well and can be represented by a true American Flag with a patch placed on the left shoulder.

If gone unchallenged the stand alone backward Flag will soon represent America. If our own government fails to correct it, the only thing it will truly represent is the backward direction our country is moving on so many issues. Please make the Army correct this mistake and have them wear the American Flag we all know and love.

Respectfully,

ahh ok yeah that's true I didn't see that one part in his take action bit.

though he still goes on to saying a free flying flag has a "backside"... so umm.. regardless of it being in motion in battle... a flag on a pole flying one way in the wind can show the flag each way, but that's going to "confuse" someone that sees it inverse *rolls eyes*

well i guess as it was pointed out, it's probably more a scam for money.

if you put his name into Google (Phil Greazzo), you get some interesting info though, apparently he uses Marijuana for "medical" reasons too: http://cannabisnews.com/news/22/thread22703.shtml

'splains a lot i guess..
    "I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel drive.. a country boy can survive..." - Hank Williams, Jr.

Yeah, the guy is an idiot...there is a reason why, if he would just take the time to look it up.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

there are rare times when we are required to wear with the blue on the left...in peacekeeping and humanitarian ops. it's to signify to the local populace that we are not there in an offensive manner. bosnia and katrina are examples.

he's just some boner with nothing better to do. come on, accusing the military of disrespecting the flag...very insulting.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Never thought about it much...I see my flag from both sides every day...ah...WHAAAAAT?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    The phrase "Get A Life" comes to mind.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

EW3
    The flag in that configuration signifies Advance, as opposed to Retreat, if it were the other way.

What I don't like and believe to be against regulations are subdued flags. I may be wrong, but I think the flag is always to be displayed in red, white, and blue.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    From the video:
    In 2005 the US Army added a backward American Flag to their uniform
    Funny, I was wearing that in 1999.

He's right that it shouldn't be below the SSIFWS (shoulder sleeve insignia for former wartime service, which is also worn on the right sleeve), this has been corrected with the new Army Combat Uniform.

Strange too that he wants the flag subdued (or at least implies). I've seen subdued flags, but only in stores. I get the impression they are not authorized (too lazy to check the regs this morning).
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

It is funny that after getting his knickers in a twist over the direction of the flag that he wants the flag colors to be "subdued" like the other insignias.

What did idiots like this do with all their time before Al Gore invented the internet?

My favorite part of his website is his link to e-mail the creators of "South Park" to get them to create an episode about the backwards flag.

That's a tactic I've not heard of before.
    "Friend, I would not harm thee for all the world, but thou art standing where I am about to shoot."--Unknown Quaker

Sent him a quick e-mail and got a reply:

Note how cleverly he gets his point across by always spelling my name backwards.

Dear leoJ,

I agree, our country is facing problems and there is a threat to our liberty, all the more reason we should at least display our flag properly. Why give people one more reason the question our intentions and lessen the respect of our Flag.

Having a full color American Flag on a camouflaged uniform compromises our troops safety and gives the enemy a target. If the Flag is to be a part of the uniform it should follow the same regulations as the unit patch by being subdued. I'd rarther see it subdued and properly worn than see it backward.

Funny you don't have a problem with it being backward, leoJ.

Joel R***** <******> wrote:
    With all the real problems facing our country and threatening our liberty I'd think that you could find something more worthwhile to do than nit-pick flag emblems.

Funny to me that your knickers are all in a twist about the direction of the flag but you have no problem with changing to colors to "subdue" it.
    "Friend, I would not harm thee for all the world, but thou art standing where I am about to shoot."--Unknown Quaker

Links