Legacy of Robert Heinlein

This is a discussion on Legacy of Robert Heinlein within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.opinionjournal.com/forms/...l?id=110010381 Just found this article, which is a pretty nice tribute to the writer, one of my all-time favorites. At the top of my Heinlein ...

Thread: Legacy of Robert Heinlein

http://www.opinionjournal.com/forms/...l?id=110010381

Just found this article, which is a pretty nice tribute to the writer, one of my all-time favorites. At the top of my Heinlein list are Time Enough for Love, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, and Starship Troopers. I've lost track of how many times I've reread each of them.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

TANSTAAFL!!!

Remember to "always keep your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark."

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love
    "Friend, I would not harm thee for all the world, but thou art standing where I am about to shoot."--Unknown Quaker

Lazarus Long.......I always thought his dorable Dora starship was cute.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

VIP Member
    Love R. Heinlein:

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein, spoken by Mordan Claude in "Beyond This Horizon", 1942

"The police of a state should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight, is the foundation of civil freedom."
    -Robert Heinlein, "Beyond This Horizon", 1942

"...I am opposed to all attempts to license or restrict the arming of individuals... I consider such laws a violation of civil liberty, subversive of democratic political institutions, and self-defeating in their purpose."
    -Robert Heinlein, in a 1949 letter concerning "Red Planet"

"The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness." -Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." -Robert A. Heinlein, "Methuselah's Children"

"Love your country, but never trust its government." -Robert A. Heinlein

"Liberty is never unalienable; it must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes. Of all the so-called natural human rights that have ever been invented, liberty is the least to be cheap and is never free of cost." -Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."-- Robert A. Heinlein
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    My first Heinlein book was "Have Space Suit Will Travel", I was hooked and have read "several times over" all of his novels and short stories. I think is was a 1911 the hero in "Beyond this Horizon" carried wasn't it, while everyone else was carrying blasters and lasers?
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    You are right, it was "Beyond This Horizon" that the hero carried a 1911 while everyone else carried a ray gun.

Starship Troopers was the first Heinlein novel I ever read. I was hooked for life. A brilliant writer and visionary. He postulated a new surge in Islamic religion, the rise of China as a world power and video games. Of course, like most SF authors, he was overly optimistic about some things as well.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Humm...I always loved Heinlen, Starship Troopers, Glory Road and others.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Links