Homeowner charged?UK

This is a discussion on Homeowner charged?UK within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770...

Thread: Homeowner charged?UK

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Do try to post a snippet to give a hint of the material I'll reproduce the text here - can't see a problem ......

Homeowner arrested after the burglar he confronted falls 30ft
    by JAYA NARAIN - More by this author »

Last updated at 21:06pm on 8th August 2007

A homeowner was arrested after a burglar plunged from the balcony of his top-floor flat.

The intruder suffered head injuries and is fighting for his life after falling around 30ft on to a concrete path.

Later police arrested the owner and are investigating whether the intruder was pushed.

The incident happened early on Monday when Patrick Walsh, 56, awoke to find the 43-year-old man rifling through his flat.

They argued and the confrontation moved towards the rear window of the flat.
    It is believed the intruder then smashed the window and clambered out on to a narrow ledge and fell to the ground.

Mr Walsh phoned police and at around 6.30am officers found the man on the ground outside the smart Victorian apartment block in Chorlton-cum-Hardy,

He was taken to hospital with serious head injuries.

Officers arrested Mr Walsh on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and are trying to establish whether the intruder was forced out of the window.

The arrest is expected to fuel arguments about the rights of householders to defend themselves against burglars.

The issue has been high on the law and order agenda since farmer Tony Martin was jailed for shooting dead a burglar in 1999.

Following the Martin affair the Crown Prosecution Service and the Association of Chief Police Officers said any householder can use reasonable force to protect themselves or others, or to carry out an arrest or to prevent crime.

Yesterday Mr Walsh, who was given bail pending further inquiries, refused to speak about the incident.

But his solicitor Victor Wozny said: "My client is not at liberty to say anything because he is under police bail.

"However we appreciate that the public view might be that this is a man arrested in his own home defending his own property."

A neighbour said: "Police arrived in what seemed to be minutes and were there for the whole day.

"It's shocking to find out what has happened but people shouldn't break into other people's houses."

Another resident said: "I presume we will have to respect the burglar's rights while his victim has the nightmare of court hanging over his head. It all seems so unfair."

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said they had been called following reports that an intruder had fallen from a top-floor flat.

A 56-year-old man had woken up to find a man in his flat.

"Following an exchange of words, the alleged burglar was found unconscious on the pavement outside the flat.

"It is believed that he had fallen from the fourth-floor window."

He said the man is 43 and lives locally and inquiries are continuing to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Mr Walsh was later released on bail until November. If charged and convicted he could face a life sentence.
    Well - what can we say to this absurdity!! Guy finds a thief in his home - what's he supposed to do? Pat the guy on the back and suggest he goes on helping himself!? Sheesh.

So - the guy climbs out a window and falls - tough poop - but now the victim is not being labelled as Walsh but the criminal WTH is goin on with justice?

This about sums up the apparent status quo there these days - arrests are for victims of crimes ... and the criminals get the silk glove treatment. I am afraid I find it hard to feel much sympathy for the crook in this situation. Crazy thru and thru.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Thank goodness that the real men cut and ran back in the 1700's and cast away the silliness and bondage that still prevails in England to this day.

If we arent real careful though, there are those here that would have it be the same.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I've always wanted to see Stonehenge, but there is no way I'm going to spend money in country when criminals have more rights than an honest person...We almost should allow political asylum from the United Kingdom.

Any more
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Senior Moderator
    If I am going to ever turn into an Outlaw I will move to England.

I will be better treated than those that I rob
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The English get what they deserve.......

They have had numerous opprotunities to "toss the bums out" and get rid of their "royal family" and all the nonsense that comes with it. I may empathise with the victims, but don't feel sorry for them, simply because they choose to live this way. And as far as wanting to go there to see Stonehenge as another poster stated, don't waste your money. I was there back in 1985 and it is nothing but a pile of rocks in the middle of nowhere.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    They have had numerous opprotunities to "toss the bums out" and get rid of their "royal family" and all the nonsense that comes with it. I may empathise with the victims, but don't feel sorry for them, simply because they choose to live this way. And as far as wanting to go there to see Stonehenge as another poster stated, don't waste your money. I was there back in 1985 and it is nothing but a pile of rocks in the middle of nowhere.
    As someone in another thread stated: "Bad logic spreads like a disease". We should never be smug or complacent here at home as our own freedoms seem to be constantly under attack by our own looneys. We must be on guard. By the way, I don't think you can blame the Royal Family for Britain's gun laws and I do believe Stonehenge is well worth seeing.

Sounds like the burglar was "charged." I hope the homeowner didn't strain himself. "Justice" system? Nah. Legal system, strictly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

We REALLY need to take note of this. Events have proven that the UK efforts were not about gun control but about people control.

The elite rulers of the UK don't seem to see any difference between good law abiding citizens and a scub bag.

It's heading for this country, too!

We should be very wary!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    We REALLY need to take note of this. Events have proven that the UK efforts were not about gun control but about people control.

The elite rulers of the UK don't seem to see any difference between good law abiding citizens and a scub bag.

It's heading for this country, too!

We should be very wary!
    Exactly. Thinking of how fragile our own freedoms are might make us a little less inclined to sneer at the UK.

Nonono. You do not push the BG out the window in GB. You thump him in the house, put him in a seabag, and toss him in the "Tims".

Sooner or later they will get tired enough to forcebly change things...or they'll be extinct.

VIP Member
    I've said it before and I'll say it again...nothing from the UK surprises me anymore.

Links