Bear Charge

This is a discussion on Bear Charge within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbnmLLnsfw What would you have done? My life isnt worth the chance this guide took on his and his clients. I would have shot the ...

Thread: Bear Charge

Bear Charge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbnmLLnsfw

What would you have done?

My life isnt worth the chance this guide took on his and his clients.
    I would have shot the bear.

Although there is no guarantee that even hitting the bear would have warded off the attack, i think the odds are way better than just "scaring" it.

2. Remove Ads

He could have tried the "hey look! an eagle" route
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOpKFPEah3E
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Damn!! that's scarry. Shows just how fast you can lose your life out there. That guy was quick on the draw too.
    I probably would have fired at the bear, and most likley I would have missed because of fear. I choose the knife wielding punk over the bear any day. I don't know what types of handguns you guys own but a .45 is the largest I own and I know that won't stop a charging bear. I need to upgrade to a .454 before I go wondering around the northwest.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    Damn!! that's scarry. Shows just how fast you can lose your life out there. That guy was quick on the draw too.
    I probably would have fired at the bear, and most likley I would have missed because of fear. I choose the knife wielding punk over the bear any day. I don't know what types of handguns you guys own but a .45 is the largest I own and I know that won't stop a charging bear. I need to upgrade to a .454 before I go wondering around the northwest.
    Same here. There are some critters out there that my little USP just won't handle. I think I'd have a .454 or .500 revolver on my hip, and a .308 semi-auto in the boat, though that wouldn't have helped from this distance.

Still, I don't care what kinda gun you have, if you see bear cubs, they deserve a very wide berth.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyCooper View Post
    He could have tried the "hey look! an eagle" route
    ...Now THAT got my morning off to a good start...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

"Never laugh at live dragons."
    -- Bilbo Baggins, The Hobbit
    There was a time when I'd go out into brown bear territory. That time has long since passed, thankfully. Last time, was from the nice confines of a car in Yellowstone NP and a few days spent in the wilds of northern Idaho. That group is very lucky the bear decided to turn around. Had it not, one or more of them would likely have remained in the wilds, that day.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I lived in Alaska for 7 years. The clip is certainly impressive, and if you were ever really close to one of those big guys...the massive size is enough to 'help' one fill his drawers...I can't imagine having a mad mama closing in at a speed that could match a race horse for a short distance...Damn!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    WOW.

That bear was committed.

I wouldnt have shot in the water. Chances are very likely that the bear wouldnt have understood what was happening and it would have been a wasted shot.

I'll bet they had a pretty good adrenaline flow going after that happened. They are very lucky that the bear didnt press the attack, as more than likely they would have lost everything they had in the boat due to the current moving along pretty quickly.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Do you think he purposefully shot in the water to frighten the bear, or simply made a quick shot that happen to miss? Either way it worked out huh?.

Scary situation any kind of Momma, with a bad attitude. I'm always leary of accidentally getting between an alligator and her nest, or between one and the water. I'll tell you something else that'll be on you so fast that you won't realize it, is a Momma cow with a new baby and bad attitude.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I'm betting he missed, or even hit - since it was on TV they had to say they "shot the water in front of the bear".

If I was floating down a narrow stream in a rubber boat and came across a few bear cubs, I think I'd have my gun in hand. If the bear had kept coming, those guys would probably be maimed and drowned.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Do you think he purposefully shot in the water to frighten the bear, or simply made a quick shot that happen to miss?
    I'm sure he shot and missed, trying very hard to not shake in the process. He's lucky to be alive.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

hmm, me rethinks man plan for homesteading in AK in 10 years...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    The guide was clearly prepared and had his gun ready. If he had shot the bear, then he would have likely had a wounded bear to hunt down and would also have to put down the 3 cubs. In the end this event ended the best for all concerned. Plus the bear cubs will know that Humans are bad news and to be avoided.

Links