Space Hotel Expects to Open in 2012

This is a discussion on Space Hotel Expects to Open in 2012 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Space Hotel Expects to Open in 2012 By Pascale Harter, Reuters Posted: 2007-08-11 14:38:01 Filed Under: Science News, Business News BARCELONA (Aug. 10) - "Galactic ...

Thread: Space Hotel Expects to Open in 2012

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

By Pascale Harter,
    Reuters
    Posted: 2007-08-11 14:38:01
    Filed Under: Science News, Business News

BARCELONA (Aug. 10) - "Galactic Suite," the first hotel planned in space, expects to open for business in 2012 and would allow guests to travel around the world in 80 minutes.

Its Barcelona-based architects say the space hotel will be the most expensive in the galaxy, costing $4 million for a three-day stay.

During that time guests would see the sun rise 15 times a day and use Velcro suits to crawl around their pod rooms by sticking themselves to the walls like Spiderman.

Company director Xavier Claramunt says the three-bedroom boutique hotel's joined up pod structure, which makes it look like a model of molecules, was dictated by the fact that each pod room had to fit inside a rocket to be taken into space.

"It's the bathrooms in zero gravity that are the biggest challenge," says Claramunt. "How to accommodate the more intimate activities of the guests is not easy."

But they may have solved the issue of how to take a shower in weightlessness -- the guests will enter a spa room in which bubbles of water will float around.

When guests are not admiring the view from their portholes they will take part in scientific experiments on space travel.

Galactic Suite began as a hobby for former aerospace engineer Claramunt, until a space enthusiast decided to make the science fiction fantasy a reality by fronting most of the $3 billion needed to build the hotel.

An American company intent on colonizing Mars, which sees Galaxy Suite as a first step, has since come on board, and private investors from Japan, the United States and the United Arab Emirates are in talks.

PLENTY RICH ENOUGH

If Claramunt is secretive about the identity of his generous backer, he is more forthcoming about the custom he can expect.

"We have calculated that there are 40,000 people in the world who could afford to stay at the hotel. Whether they will want to spend money on going into space, we just don't know."

Four million dollars might be a lot to spend on a holiday, but those in the nascent space tourism industry say hoteliers have been slow on the uptake because no one thought the cost of space travel would come down as quickly as it has.

Galactic Suite said the price included not only three nights in space. Guests also get eight weeks of intensive training at a James Bond-style space camp on a tropical island.

"There is fear associated with going into space," said Claramunt. "That's why the shuttle rocket will remain fixed to the space hotel for the duration of the guests' stay, so they know they can get home again."

In an era of concern over climate change, Galaxy Suite have no plans so far to offset the pollution implications of sending a rocket to carry just six guests at a time into space.

"But," says Claramunt, "I'm hopeful that the impact of seeing the earth from a distance will stimulate the guests' urge to value and protect our planet."
    http://news.aol.com/story/_a/space-h...00010000000001

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    And you know a guest is going to complain because they can't have Domino's pizza delivered to thier room or do not like the view.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

can someone please enlighten me as to how a "room in which bubbles of water will float around" will accomplish certain biological needs of the motel guests in zero gravity.

edit: I reread it for a third time and realized he was talking merely about the showers......for some reason the first two times I read it, I thought he was saying that was the entire solution.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyCooper View Post
    can someone please enlighten me as to how a "room in which bubbles of water will float around" will accomplish certain biological needs of the motel guests in zero gravity.
    Think Hoover
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

The space spa/shower thing sounds like a bad idea to me. I'd think you'd be inhaling lots of water, and it would float all over in your face when you didn't want it to, etc..

Crapping in a vacuum for millions of dollars? Wow. I'm pretty sure the view is the same as on TV - just like everything else. They might make money doing a reality TV show or something up there, but otherwise I think this one will be a big loser.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    It sounds great and all, but will they even have a swimming pool, If not, well then I'm not going.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I'll hold my hand on my butt and wait. I bet it grows there before the "hotel" opens up.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Ed McMann better get my check to me before they open or I will be torqued
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I'll pass.

I don't even like to fly so I am not shucking out thousands and thousands of dollars to be strapped to a barely controlled explosion to get to a "Hotel" in space.

I think I'll take my vacation on my sofa where there is virtually no chance of dieing in a hurtling ball of flame slamming into the ground.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

i love it it takes them 20 years to make a 50 mile road but they can get this going in a snap....lmao can you tell where their priorities are?

Quote Originally Posted by palmgopher View Post
    i love it it takes them 20 years to make a 50 mile road but they can get this going in a snap....lmao can you tell where their priorities are?
    That's the difference between free enterprise and government! Apples and oranges, dude. If we got government out of the roads, we would definitely have better transportation available.

With any new product, if you look back to its beginning, there was a period where only the rich and/or crazy bothered with it. Automobiles, TV's, telephones, cell phones, semiautomatic weapons(wouldn't trust that damn thing with MY life!). The product didn't exist until a need or market was perceived for it. Then it was produced at great expense and therefore at a very high price. The first investors and customers risk their money and sometimes their health or lives to try it out - just because it's there. But their risk leads to a great reward for the everyone else. Today: cars are efficient, quiet, and safe; TV's(home theatres even) provide a wealth of entertainment and educational media; everyone has had a telephone, though land-lines are becoming obsolete; almost everyone has a cell phone; and of course a good semiautomatic rifle or handgun is an awesome and reliable weapon. And all of these things are very affordable for the average American thanks to the free market and capitalism.

So even something like affordable space travel in the consumer sense is feasible in the long run only because there are those who blow millions on it now or in the near future.
    Last edited by sailormnop; August 12th, 2007 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    +1 sailormnop. Could not have said it better myself.

Assistant Administrator
    Would there be applicants for the ''100 mile high Club'' LOL! (probably!)

Gotta say tho - all joking aside - it must be amazing to orbit the lil rock we live on - and see it from that vantage point.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links