Interesting incendent while riding the bike tonight.

This is a discussion on Interesting incendent while riding the bike tonight. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We went to the mall today (Gads I have the mall), and in a moment of weakness, my wife talked me into having some kind ...

We went to the mall today (Gads I have the mall), and in a moment of weakness, my wife talked me into having some kind of ice cream-caramel-white chocolate shake thing from the Godiva Chocolate shop. Boy was it good (for $5.00 served in a small styrofoam cup it had better have been good). And it had about 700 calories in it.

So, when we got home, I changed into my mountain bike riding clothes and filled up the water bottle with ice and water and started out on a planned 30 mile ride. (an extra 5 miles from the regular ride to burn off that ice cream treat!)

About 3/4 of the way through, while riding laps around my subdivision and the one next to ours (I ride around the neighborhood after it gets dark for safety) one of the neighborhood teenagers in his sooped up little Japanese hatchback pulled onto the street leading down to the subdivision. As he passed me he punched it and squealed his tires on every gear shift.
    He went all the way down to the dead end, turned around and did it again coming back towards me.
    Now, there are a lot of kids in the neighborhood and as he got closer to me I pointed at him as I pulled over and stopped. He stopped and I told him in a firm but not rude tone that I did not appreciate his driving like that, and if needed I would ask the Sheriffs Department to patrol the area more frequently and to watch for him. I said there are lots of kids in this neighborhood, mine being some of them and I would not put up with him driving like than again.

Now what I fully expected was for the teen to tell the old guy on the bike (me) to go someplace hot and perform and act upon myself. I was surprised when he instead said "Yes Sir" and then appologized for driving recklessly. He actually said the word "recklessly" too.

I was kind of stunned. But, pleasantly surprised. I saw him driving in and out of the area a couple of times and he drove in a much more responsible manner too.

I am not an intimidating fellow, especially not on a bicycle with a bike helmet and biking glasses on. So, I must assume that the kid was honestly sorry he did something dumb.

I remember what it was like to be a teenager with a car I thought was cool. Maybe the kid will drive better after this....if not, I know a few Deputies who will keep and eye out for him.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

sounds like a good kid that just needed a bit of direction. good job.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Does sound like an otherwise good kid who was letting his hormones/ego direct his actions, but with your help he has thought better of it.

It's also possible that his dad's a local cop and, knowing you probably would get his license number if the kid pushed his luck and gave you attitude, he decided to not do anything that would cause you to bring a storm down on him. (Imagine a cop hears about a call about his own kid driving around like a schmuck. Comes a beatin' for that kid later on, no doubt.)

Glad it went well for you.

I don't think the kids father is a LEO. I know where he lives in the neighborhood, I've seen his car in the driveway and seen him washing and waxing it there while riding my bike.
    Never seen the father in a uniform or driving a police car of any type.

But, if the kid does drive stupidly again, I will first stop by the house and let his father know about it. If Dad doesn't rectify the situation, then it would be time to involve the police.

I hope the kid took the hint and straightens up his driving attitudes.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Good job. You gave him an "attitude adjustment" that he needed with his reckless driving.

Now had you not said anything and he eventually hit some innocent kid with his driving, look how many lives would have been affected.

You did him a favor!
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

At least you didn't have to give him a Tune up.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Links